April 23, 2024, 03:57:41 PM

Author Topic: XP Wars  (Read 4805 times)

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
XP Wars
« on: December 15, 2016, 08:18:08 AM »
So, this is just a concept for an alternate game mode that might be neat to try some time. The rules are pretty simple.

Each player starts as a Level 1 Mage. You cannot cast spells of a higher Level than you. Each time you or one of your cards destroys another card, and every time you or one of your cards do damage to a Creature equal to or greater than its Level, you gain 1 XP Counter. Every XP Counters grants you 1 Level until you reach Level 3, then every 2 further XP Counters grants you a Level until Level 5, and 3 XP Counters grants you a Level at that point for the rest of the game. There is no cap for Mage Level btw.

The only exception to the Casting Limit of your own Level is any Spell that is Class/School Specific. Those spells may be cast at any time, regardless of your level.

Your personal damage for your Mage is also adjusted based on your Level. At Level 1, you start with 1 Dice for Basic Attacks. If your Attack has more than 1 Dice, then at Level 2, you gain an additional Dice back, and at level 4, you gain a third Dice back. Mages with "Melee +1" or similar effects on their Mage Stats Card start with that bonus in addition to their normal 1 Dice. Starting at Level 7, and for every 3 Levels beyond, the Mage gains Melee +1, Ranged +1, and Channeling +1. Might add bonus Life to the effects gained, but I haven't decided yet.

Aside from this, the game proceeds as normal. This is something I've mostly been thinking about and part of it was even made up as I was typing this, since I hadn't fully detailed it. Thoughts and suggestions for improvements are welcome! Maybe it can be tested some time if anyone is interested.

Alternately, to slow the rate of XP gain, it could take 2 XP per level starting once you reach Level 2, rather than Level 3, or even from the start of the game. Personally, I think those first 3 Levels need to be quicker to allow for more decks to be viable though.

EDIT: Cards that target Minor creatures can be cast on a Level 1-2 Mage, but are immediately destroyed when the Mage reaches Level 3.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:17:32 PM by Milevan_Faent »

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: XP Wars
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 11:17:52 AM »
Substantial numbers of my spellbooks have no cards above Level 2...

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 12:15:55 PM »
Substantial numbers of my spellbooks have no cards above Level 2...

That doesn't surprise me much, but there is still potential for an interesting game mode. Even if the casting limit has little impact, the power-up to your mage as the game goes on can have a big impact.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 03:41:37 PM »
it could be interesting.
lvl 2 spells that stick out atm:
deathlock
timber wolf
zombie minion
venemous zombie
harshforge plate
explode
teleport
mage wand
elemental wand
cassiel
varieties of walls
gravikor
raincloud
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
it could be interesting.
deathlock
timber wolf
zombie minion
venemous zombie
harshforge plate
explode
teleport
mage wand
elemental wand
cassiel
varieties of walls
gravikor
raincloud
Idol of Pestilence
Mordok's Obelisk
Suppression Orb
Suppression Cloak

First player to Lvl 2 would have a significant advantage. That said, this format seems to mostly just draw out the match, forcing a bunch of set-up rounds before becoming "strong enough" followed by starting something resembling a normal Arena match... except whoever gets to their critical level first gets a head start on dealing significant damage.

That said, I'd love to see a level-up mechanism in a dungeon crawl format if one ever comes; perhaps a co-op or one-vs-many format, which has been remoured about for a while, that can be played in a multi-session campaign. But that's very different from the typical 1-on-1 duels we're used to.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 04:13:57 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
it could be interesting.
deathlock
timber wolf
zombie minion
venemous zombie
harshforge plate
explode
teleport
mage wand
elemental wand
cassiel
varieties of walls
gravikor
raincloud
Idol of Pestilence
Mordok's Obelisk
Suppression Orb
Suppression Cloak

First player to Lvl 2 would have a significant advantage. That said, this format seems to mostly just draw out the match, forcing a bunch of set-up rounds before becoming "strong enough" followed by starting something resembling a normal Arena match... except whoever gets to their critical level first gets a head start on dealing significant damage.

That said, I'd love to see a level-up mechanism in a dungeon crawl format if one ever comes; perhaps a co-op or one-vs-many format, which has been remoured about for a while, that can be played in a multi-session campaign. But that's very different from the typical 1-on-1 duels we're used to.

Any suggestions on how to improve the format into something that is more than just drawing out the match? I am hoping to make an interesting and fun format out of this.