April 30, 2024, 03:10:50 PM

Author Topic: Possible friend in need  (Read 8207 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Possible friend in need
« on: December 09, 2016, 07:26:32 AM »
I don't know this person, and some people have raised concern that it may be a scam, but there is a post on boardgamegeek about a fellow Mage Wars player who has fallen on hard times. I tend to believe her, so thought I'd cross post to bring attention, but you should form your own judgement.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24436022#24436022

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Possible friend in need
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 08:48:12 AM »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 11:35:03 AM »
If this is true, i would like to help with my Mana. Holydays should be time of miracles and joy :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 12:49:20 PM »
That's freaking awesome of you boocheck! It's nice to see that kind of motivation to just be nice. I hope everything wields out for them.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 08:49:09 AM »
Sadly, the user has been flagged as a spammer on BGG...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24621507#24621507

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 12:14:08 PM »
Never recieved response from her since. Well, good deed was rightfully punished :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 12:54:08 PM »
I used my mana to send them product. Lesson learned.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 01:00:56 PM »
Well, the scamming accounts included elduderino42 (aka TheDude), which is still consistent with the story, so perhaps he/they are legitimately "in need" ... but also may have scammed some people during BGG trades (e.g. didn't complete their side of the deal).

If/when someone is in such dire straits as to rip people off like that, perhaps they do need the mana/games/money more than the rest of us.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:06:30 PM by iNano78 »

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 01:09:39 PM »
I've no regrets. I did it in the spirit of friendship so it's all good.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 12:24:59 AM »
UPDATE: The stuff I'd meant for The Dude came to my place today. Hehehe what a funny twist of fate.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 03:19:16 AM »
I used my mana to send them product. Lesson learned.

Same here. So it will probably go back to AW. Well, maybe next time, i will be able to help someone :)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 01:13:16 AM »
A response....

So, my wife, the one who originally posted that link, as well as trying to help me get my collection back, got in over her head. I didn't have any part of what she was doing, she was simply trying to surprise me. I showed her my articles that I've posted on here, as it's something I'm proud of. I've not done much with my life, so those articles, however small they are, this game, no matter how niche it is, has meant so much to me.

I lost everything when I totaled my car. I didn't ask for any of it back. My wife,after I met her, found out about my love of games. I told her what happened. A word on eviction... find a place to store your things! I had all of my netrunner, my dear collection of Mage Wars, Glory to Rome (my grail), as well as about a dozen or so board games. When I was evicted, I took all of that, as well as my magic books (card magic has been a hobby of mine for about 15 years), in my car, and drove to Lexington, to find a place to stay. That didn't work out very well, but, on the way back, I totaled my car completely. Tow trucks are expensive when you have no dollars in your pocket, so I grabbed what little I could out my car, determined to get the rest when I could. That never got to come to fruition. So, those things were lost. I've lost many things before, but I've always managed to hold on to my games, as they are pretty much the only material things I value. It's okay, it was just stuff. I had moved on entirely.

But the itch. Slowly it came back. The itch to game.

and it was small at first. I picked up a few srpgs on steam (the closest video games to board games that one can find). And then I got back into hearthstone, because I had gotten a smartphone that could run the app. And then, once I had a job that afford such a luxury as gaming, I indulged. I started with Ashes, Innovation, and Impulse. Ah, and Motainai (can't afford Glory to Rome!). I met my wife around this time, and started teaching her how to play some of these games. I kept alluding to Mage Wars, how great it was, how it was the game that got me into the hobby. I showed her this website, these articles.

And then, on Christmas, I get two packages. A metric ton of Mage Wars stuff. She made an account on BGG, and used my account here to reach out to others. It was incredibly sweet, and I love Allison with my entire heart, but I think she wasn't coming from a negative place. We had just found out she was pregnant, so I think she was trying to do the best she could while she can. She figured out how to trade, and placed a trade with a user for another game used to love dearly, and while she received the item, she never sent her end of the deal back out. That's the extent that I know, and the reason behind her account (awaddle) being banned.

As far as the elduderino42, I'm not sure who that is, but they have a kickass username!

Boocheck, I appreciate the gesture, and I love the mat! Forest board is definitely my favorite, and I can't believe you sent that to me! It's sitting on my coffee table right now, I play solo quite a bit on it.

Silverclaw, although I never received what you sent, that's totally okay, just the fact that you thought about me enough in the first place is enough to fill my heart with joy.

As for the late response, well, I live in the boonies now, meade county kentucky, in which internet is an expensive luxury that I am just now getting to the point of being able to afford. But, I am more than willing to answer any questions you have for me or for Allison.

• Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 01:44:17 AM »
Dude! Welcome back bro! Glad to see you're alive and well! Wonderful news man. Glad youre back on your feet. You can help me get card of the month back on a monthly basis! Lol!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 02:01:06 AM »
A response....

So, my wife, the one who originally posted that link, as well as trying to help me get my collection back, got in over her head. I didn't have any part of what she was doing, she was simply trying to surprise me. I showed her my articles that I've posted on here, as it's something I'm proud of. I've not done much with my life, so those articles, however small they are, this game, no matter how niche it is, has meant so much to me.

I lost everything when I totaled my car. I didn't ask for any of it back. My wife,after I met her, found out about my love of games. I told her what happened. A word on eviction... find a place to store your things! I had all of my netrunner, my dear collection of Mage Wars, Glory to Rome (my grail), as well as about a dozen or so board games. When I was evicted, I took all of that, as well as my magic books (card magic has been a hobby of mine for about 15 years), in my car, and drove to Lexington, to find a place to stay. That didn't work out very well, but, on the way back, I totaled my car completely. Tow trucks are expensive when you have no dollars in your pocket, so I grabbed what little I could out my car, determined to get the rest when I could. That never got to come to fruition. So, those things were lost. I've lost many things before, but I've always managed to hold on to my games, as they are pretty much the only material things I value. It's okay, it was just stuff. I had moved on entirely.

But the itch. Slowly it came back. The itch to game.

and it was small at first. I picked up a few srpgs on steam (the closest video games to board games that one can find). And then I got back into hearthstone, because I had gotten a smartphone that could run the app. And then, once I had a job that afford such a luxury as gaming, I indulged. I started with Ashes, Innovation, and Impulse. Ah, and Motainai (can't afford Glory to Rome!). I met my wife around this time, and started teaching her how to play some of these games. I kept alluding to Mage Wars, how great it was, how it was the game that got me into the hobby. I showed her this website, these articles.

And then, on Christmas, I get two packages. A metric ton of Mage Wars stuff. She made an account on BGG, and used my account here to reach out to others. It was incredibly sweet, and I love Allison with my entire heart, but I think she wasn't coming from a negative place. We had just found out she was pregnant, so I think she was trying to do the best she could while she can. She figured out how to trade, and placed a trade with a user for another game used to love dearly, and while she received the item, she never sent her end of the deal back out. That's the extent that I know, and the reason behind her account (awaddle) being banned.

As far as the elduderino42, I'm not sure who that is, but they have a kickass username!

Boocheck, I appreciate the gesture, and I love the mat! Forest board is definitely my favorite, and I can't believe you sent that to me! It's sitting on my coffee table right now, I play solo quite a bit on it.

Silverclaw, although I never received what you sent, that's totally okay, just the fact that you thought about me enough in the first place is enough to fill my heart with joy.

As for the late response, well, I live in the boonies now, meade county kentucky, in which internet is an expensive luxury that I am just now getting to the point of being able to afford. But, I am more than willing to answer any questions you have for me or for Allison.
Nice to see you back man!
The Phoenix shall rise.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 07:13:32 AM »
Yes. Welcome back. Glad you're okay everybody was kind of worrried.

Also, it's nice to see one of the forum members who was playing mage wars when I first started come back. Unless I'm forgetting someone I think everyone else who was active here back then left except for me, silverclawgrizzly and zuberi. We've got a lot of newer active forum members since then though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.