April 29, 2024, 09:20:21 AM

Author Topic: Siren's call - what satisfies this mandatory action?  (Read 3996 times)

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Siren's call - what satisfies this mandatory action?
« on: November 22, 2016, 07:24:43 AM »
We had this come up in a game recently and I am not sure now that we played it correctly. (Sorry Nick) I thought this was discussed but couldn't find it in a forum search.

If a creature has the Siren's call marker on it, is the mandatory requirement satisfied by just moving one zone closer to the mage as the first action? This would be "at least one zone closer", but would then allow the creature to take any available quick action in the remaining part of its action phase except attack the Siren. So if the creature started two zones away from the Siren it could move one zone closer and then one zone further away from the Siren and still meet the mandatory requirements.

Is that correct with RAW?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: Siren's call - what satisfies this mandatory action?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 07:53:31 AM »
You are correct. As long as you move 1 zone closer, you can then move one zone farther with a second move action. Shallow Sea helps with that second move action in most cases  8)
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

LordTengil

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 02:22:47 AM »
Would it also be adequate to tkae yor first move away from the siren, and then with your quick action move back towards the siren (if not hindered, etc).

"... During its action phase that creature *must* move at least one zone closer to the Siren, if possible, and may not attack her. ..."

Text seems to be fulfilled, but I'm worried I'm missing some details of the move action mechanics.

LordTengil

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »
Still wondering. Bump.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 01:04:48 PM »
If you are "during the action phase" you have to move toward the siren if you can and haven't done it befor.
so no.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 04:15:45 PM »
I can only tell you what it seems (to me) to be saying (I know... it doesn't say this, just saying)... and that would be that you needed to move closer to the Siren and could not move away from her... that's just what makes the most sense to me FWIW.

If you can satisfy the requirement by moving closer and then moving farther away, then why not be able to move farther away first, and then move closer? You still (sort of) move one zone closer during your action.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 08:56:33 PM »
You check mandatory actions any time you are able to take an action. So when you activate the creature, before you do anything else, you must check. In this case, you have a mandatory action to move "at least one zone closer" during your action phase. Can you do that? If so, you MUST move closer.

After moving closer, you still may take a quick action. So you check again for mandatory actions. You still have the Siren's Call and still have the mandatory action that you must move "at least one zone closer" during your action phase. Can you do that? YOU ALREADY HAVE! Mandate fulfilled, you can now do whatever you want with your action. Congratulations.

@DaveW the order matters in that you're not freed from the mandatory action until it has been fulfilled.

LordTengil

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 11:24:36 AM »
Thank you Zuberi. Excellent explanation that gives insight into many rules.