April 16, 2024, 05:28:46 AM

Author Topic: Major Design Flaw(?)  (Read 4930 times)

mythaphel

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Major Design Flaw(?)
« on: November 21, 2016, 02:31:53 AM »
I love this game but I've seen a major flaw in it. It would be great if some staff can pitch in and give me their opinion on this.

The problem
85% of the time you know who's going to win from the 1st regular round! (I am discounting the previous 2 rounds as they are just for setup.) The reason is simple. A game becomes very unbalanced, very quickly. Let's consider two players who's luck in dice-rolling and IQ are equal. By the end of the setup rounds both players will have roughly equally powerful cards in play. However, if during the 1st regular round, Player 1 happens to kill one of Player 2's creatures, Player 2 will be at a significant unrecoverable disadvantage for the rest of the game. And the gap will just keep growing exponentially. Main reason behind this is that if you have even one less creature out than the opponent, you are at a great disadvantage and must immediately go into the defensive - which then quickly takes you down a rabbit hole of defeat.

*This is also the reason why you don't see a lot of close games. Most games I've seen and played usually end up with a huge dmg difference between mages.*

Possible solution(?)
A rule that says something like "each of your creatures in play reduces your Channeling by 1" (almost like an upkeep cost). So, for example, someone with multiple creatures out channels less mana than someone with no creatures out, allowing the player with no creatures the chance to get back into balance with his opponent and at least giving him hope to continue playing.

ClockWork

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Major Design Flaw(?)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 09:16:10 AM »
Your only partially right. Yes doing good and rolling high damage greatly increases your chance to win.

But it ain't easy to know who's gonna win before round 4 starts.  The dice can be a fickle mistress.

Also I'm undefeated 3-0 with a single creature book.

And also as well, if academy is too shallow of a pool, that is super easy to read ahead, get yourself some MW Arena. All you academy cards are good to go, so you techinicly already have an arena collection started ;D
Siren is so cool

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:21:35 AM »
I haven't played a lot of Academy, but the matches I have played have been pretty close, and in at least a couple cases, the winner has come from behind from what looked like an insurmountable disadvantage. There are several cards that can really swing the momentum and change the outcome: Exile (! - especially if used on a creature with 2+ enchantment buffs), anything that can deal Stagger (especially attack spells that can deal multiple Stagger tokens), well-timed option to Guard (Packleader's Cowl can help with this; summoning Temple Sentry can do something similar), effects that can deal Weak tokens (Darkfenne Asps, the legendary plague demon), and the creatures with a delayed effect that acts like a reversed Dissipate (e.g. Ehren, Mheggedan). I don't think putting an Upkeep on every creature is necessary at all, although it might tilt the balance away from swarming your opponent (which seems fairly strong right now) and towards solo or single/few buddy strategies.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 09:29:44 AM »
I love this game but I've seen a major flaw in it. It would be great if some staff can pitch in and give me their opinion on this.

The problem
85% of the time you know who's going to win from the 1st regular round! (I am discounting the previous 2 rounds as they are just for setup.) The reason is simple. A game becomes very unbalanced, very quickly. Let's consider two players who's luck in dice-rolling and IQ are equal. By the end of the setup rounds both players will have roughly equally powerful cards in play. However, if during the 1st regular round, Player 1 happens to kill one of Player 2's creatures, Player 2 will be at a significant unrecoverable disadvantage for the rest of the game. And the gap will just keep growing exponentially. Main reason behind this is that if you have even one less creature out than the opponent, you are at a great disadvantage and must immediately go into the defensive - which then quickly takes you down a rabbit hole of defeat.

*This is also the reason why you don't see a lot of close games. Most games I've seen and played usually end up with a huge dmg difference between mages.*

Possible solution(?)
A rule that says something like "each of your creatures in play reduces your Channeling by 1" (almost like an upkeep cost). So, for example, someone with multiple creatures out channels less mana than someone with no creatures out, allowing the player with no creatures the chance to get back into balance with his opponent and at least giving him hope to continue playing.

I've had plenty of close games once I actually figured out what the real issue was. The problem here is that you are playing Academy like an Arena player. If you don't have first initiative then during the setup rounds you need to do things to protect yourself, like summon something that can guard you, or put armor on yourself, etc. in academy its usually bad idea to use the same exact opening moves regardless of initiative. Also, sometimes in academy it really is a good idea to pass on your quickcast to save mana.

So for instance, I have a deck that uses two sailfin hydras. If I have initiative round 1 then I might do something like put leather chausses on round 1, then round 2 summon sailfin hydra and cast arcane ward on it, then round 3 shrink or slumber an enemy non-pest guard, then attack the mage with my hydra.

If my opponent has initiative round 1, then I might open with an afflicted demon and face down giant size on it round 1, then round 2 have the demon guard me while I put on two armor equipments or one armor equipment and glancing blow. Alternatively, I can summon afflicted demon and equip myself with the chausses round 1 instead of casting giant size. Then round 2 my mage can cast sistarran robes and guard instead of the afflicted demon. It depends on what my opponent does.

If you don't have initiative round 1, and you start setting up your offense without setting up your defense first, then you are in trouble.  While you might think that this will put you behind in actions, that is not so in academy. Academy doesn't have spawnpoints or familiars which can accelerate action advantage. If you spend the first two rounds preparing a defense to your opponent's offensive strategy, that will help put you in a position to use your offensive strategy to beat their mage. Unlike in arena, where if you invest in defense in the first couple rounds instead of investing in action or mana economy first, then you're usually in trouble. Even a solo rush deck in arena is going to invest in a little action economy, like putting on cheetah speed and a dancing scimitar so they can get in extra attack actions.

But Academy is not Arena.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

mythaphel

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 11:40:08 PM »
Thanks guys,

Points taken. Maybe I need to change up the way I play and get a few more games under my belt.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »
I want to add: It's not because you have no damage on you that the game was not close. An agressive mage might be able the defensive mage while only having little to no damage even though the defensive mage has a ton extra creatures/equipment/... on the board.

Aka: A defensive warlock, let's say with mgheddon, could regenerate very fast and start dealing damage at some point during the game. The opponent has little tread on the board and is not able to finish the job. while the warlock was able to set up his game.

Damage on the mage is certainly not always a good indicator to show how "good" you are doing during a game.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Major Design Flaw(?)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 10:25:33 AM »
I want to add: It's not because you have no damage on you that the game was not close. An agressive mage might be able the defensive mage while only having little to no damage even though the defensive mage has a ton extra creatures/equipment/... on the board.

Aka: A defensive warlock, let's say with mgheddon, could regenerate very fast and start dealing damage at some point during the game. The opponent has little tread on the board and is not able to finish the job. while the warlock was able to set up his game.

Damage on the mage is certainly not always a good indicator to show how "good" you are doing during a game.

Although even a defensive warlock is going to be attacking a lot throughout the game, since attacking is a big part of what the warlock does. A defensive warlock would probably focus on destroying enemy creatures. Mhegedden is a big salient threat in the early game and an excellent guard in the mid to late game after he's been rooted or weakened. I would recommend using him to keep your opponent occupied or to help destroy their threats while you summon more creatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:27:24 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.