April 19, 2024, 04:03:28 AM

Author Topic: What do you do with a Siren?  (Read 6528 times)

Head over feels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
What do you do with a Siren?
« on: November 13, 2016, 12:20:51 AM »
   I just got the x-pack recently, and have only seen her in play once from me and once from the person I usually go against. My tactic was just kind of using Tidecallers and Swells to push people away from my side of the board, and lullabying major threats while I made a nice little zone of Shallow Seas. I used the Voice of the Sea/Echo of the Depths combo to pop out a group of a few Thrashers and a Bloodshaman to distract while I just saved up on my shell. The end game was going to be putting two shallow seas down the middle of the board, effectively splitting it in two length-wise. Then I'd bust the Sherean Leviathan out of my shell, give it a Ballad of Courage and Vampiric and send it down the middle with some crabs and me to Siren's Call people into its zone. It didn't play out exactly, but I still won the matchup because the Leviathan is a beast.

The other time I was against her as the Siren, and we were in apprentice mode, just cuz neither of us are too experienced with the game yet and just wanted to test things out. She tried to go full aggro with the Siren, giving herself the Ring of Tides and the Trident. She saved up enough mana and in one round QCd a Shallow Sea under me, and Whirlpooled on top of it with me and my demon dudes inside (I was playing the Warlock, by the way). She was going to try to pummel me with water attacks from that point and hope I died quickly. Unfortunately for her I had a Flaming Hellion as my Blood Reaper, so I was negating the damage from her Whirlpool from inside it. Meanwhile I slapped a Magebane, Ghoul Rot, and an Agony on her mixed in with a few Flame Blasts and it was gg.

After both of those games I still have no real idea on what the Siren generally wants to be doing. I'm thinking it's apparent she likes to play the control game, and doesn't want to get into the thick of a fight with her low life. Other than that what is attack plan? I love her thematically, but I don't think I'm seeing the waterworks. Clue me in to what strategies she plays into?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"I have crabs." - Shoalsdeep Siren

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with a Siren?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 07:44:41 AM »
She has many plans, she can do quite a lot of things well - She can be a control mage, a positional control mage, a swarm mage, or some combination.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 09:31:19 AM »
I usually bring out an early Kraken or Water Elemental followed by Naiya. The mage and Naiya can support the big guy with creatures or conjurations. Naiya can even be a battle forge for the Siren while the Siren is using her trident for range or melee strikes.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 10:47:57 AM »
I usually bring out an early Kraken or Water Elemental followed by Naiya. The mage and Naiya can support the big guy with creatures or conjurations. Naiya can even be a battle forge for the Siren while the Siren is using her trident for range or melee strikes.

Yes, it's worth noting that Naiya can bring out all the Siren equipment, as well as casting Attacks spells, Dissolves, etc. She's possibly the most versatile familiar out there.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 11:36:15 AM »

Yes, it's worth noting that Naiya can bring out all the Siren equipment, as well as casting Attacks spells, Dissolves, etc. She's possibly the most versatile familiar out there.
Plus she can gain channeling +1 just by sitting in the shallow sea terrain. Very nice.

I wish the Siren had the same channeling  +1 based on the shallow sea.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 04:00:37 PM »
Plus she can gain channeling +1 just by sitting in the shallow sea terrain. Very nice.

I wish the Siren had the same channeling  +1 based on the shallow sea.

Agreed, or even instead. It's her biggest weakness - how big a weakness remains to be seen.

baglio88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 07:53:43 AM »
So far I had the chance to play the siren only one time, and it was plenty of fun. Basically my game was all about making my opponent's creatures useless (lullaby, chant of rage on familiars) and/or killing them by making them pass through walls (siren's call) or by pushing them myself in various ways. Tsunami was the finisher.
It would not have worked that well against a heavy  psychic immune deck though, like necro or holy with lots of knights of the red helm. Same for druid and the push aspect.

Theoretically, necro and druid seem two tough mages for her. The bleed conditions won't work against their creatures, the pushes and water attacks do nothing against plants, and undead can't be targeted by songs. Does anyone know how to deal efficiently with these two mages?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 07:56:04 AM by baglio88 »

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »
ב"ה
So far I had the chance to play the siren only one time, and it was plenty of fun. Basically my game was all about making my opponent's creatures useless (lullaby, chant of rage on familiars) and/or killing them by making them pass through walls (siren's call) or by pushing them myself in various ways. Tsunami was the finisher.
It would not have worked that well against a heavy  psychic immune deck though, like necro or holy with lots of knights of the red helm. Same for druid and the push aspect.

Theoretically, necro and druid seem two tough mages for her. The bleed conditions won't work against their creatures, the pushes and water attacks do nothing against plants, and undead can't be targeted by songs. Does anyone know how to deal efficiently with these two mages?
About siren's call, if all enemies are psychic immune, then your best use of this ability is giving one of your creatures +2 melee (for only 1 mana it could be a useful quickcast that saves you mana for the next round). You could also depend more on the songs that buff your creatures.
Against zombie necromancers, you just have to go for the mage (just like you wouldn't bother dealing with these zombies with any other mage), and with all these pushes you could more easily outmaneuver the zombies (that are either slow or lumbering). Against skeleton necromancers life are harder, but you could still attempt to go for the mage by positioning with your pushes to outmaneuver guards.
Against druids, you must have that acid ball + hurl boulder to take down the tree, otherwise you really might by in trouble. Ballad of courage is crucial against druid, as it prevents vines from hindering your creatures. Since the druid's creatures tend to be rooted, casting your terrain in their zone would make them roll less dice, and they can't just move to escape that effect since they are rooted.