April 18, 2024, 05:39:29 PM

Poll

What did the change to Wizard actually do?

Wizard is now worst mage, near unplayable
Wizard is a little on the weak side
Perfect Balance
Slightly Better than some
Still #1 contender

Author Topic: Wizard Fix  (Read 5958 times)

ClockWork

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Wizard Fix
« on: November 11, 2016, 08:23:29 AM »
Whatcha all think so far
Siren is so cool

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Fix
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 08:56:34 AM »
Wizard used to define a top Tier by itself, and then you could arrange everything else in the traditional 3 tier system as Tiers 2-4. The Wizard tier and 'all the other best mages' tiers have now merged, and we're back to a standard 3 Tier system with Wizard probably being being at the lower end of the top tier.

Wizard is definitely still good, definitely competitive, and definitely better than many. It's no longer abusive and metagame defining in the current era, as well as opening up a lot of design space for the future, and Siren is already using it.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 09:05:19 AM »
Looking back (e.g. skimming through recorded plays), it appears I've played the wizard 5 times since the change. That's about as many times as I played the wizard before the change, mainly because playing the old wizard used to feel like cheating (or playing on "easy mode"). Notable differences: An Air (only) Wizard feels about on par with other mages in terms of spell book building - maybe still a little stronger that usual because Arcane + an elemental school is cheap, but at least you can't choose Water and have all the Dissolves/Crumbles/Surging Waves you want for nearly free. I think my current wizard books have around 65 spells compared to about 70 before the change. Compare to most other mages that have about 50-60 spells.

As for the Wizard's Tower, it's now much trickier to play. You have to actually think about what spells you want it to cast, and in what order, since those spells get used up just like for every other non-Wand non-Thoughtspore familiar. For instance, if I only have 2 Acid Balls in my new wizard book, I have to think about when I want my Tower to cast them, if at all, since they're a truly limited resource... e.g. do I want to save 1 to put on an Elemental Wand in case I find I need more than 2 of them? In other words, there are risks and non-trivial decisions to be made - which is a good thing!

Overall, the Wizard still feels like one of the strongest mages, but not nearly as overpowered as before and much more interesting to play.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 01:40:32 PM »
The change in the wizard never really effected me.  I always used the air wizard, and I tended not to depend on the Wizard's Tower.  Devouring Jellies and Medusa Archers are great creatures.

ClockWork

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 10:39:18 AM »
Im gonna say as soon as we get a new Wizard, he's gonna be all powerful again. Academy helped him a bit.... Half an expansion set and they might nerf him again 8)
Siren is so cool

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 01:19:48 PM »
Im gonna say as soon as we get a new Wizard, he's gonna be all powerful again. Academy helped him a bit.... Half an expansion set and they might nerf him again 8)

Why do you say that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 03:39:06 PM »
I'm tinkering with a wizard now. I'm liking how he's coming together.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 03:39:23 PM »
Wizard has powerful magic (incantation/enchantment) spells there's not doubt about that, and that puts him as one of the most powerful and useful mages. However, would like to see a lot more Arcane creatures and conjurations, as they seem to be quite limited and a little dull at this point in time.