June 26, 2024, 01:46:08 AM

Author Topic: Toolbox cards  (Read 6727 times)

Squirrelmaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Toolbox cards
« on: October 30, 2016, 07:46:27 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but has arcane wonders ever considered bringing out a spell tome of tool box spells i.e. Dispel, dissolve, teleport etc?
I have all the sets and enough books to have all mages going at once, but I'm always short of the spells that everyone needs, dispel etc.
I usually just use a scrap of paper in the cards place, but over 12 books that's lot of paper. Id be interested in buying a pack of spells that contained maybe 100 cards of 10 copies of the most commonly used cards, or something too that effect.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Toolbox cards
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 11:56:27 PM »
I think this was the idea with Spellbook Tome I and II.

Lost Gimore (?) is due "soon" and we might get spoilers for Christmas :)

I actually think Arcane Wonders are doing a good job with Dispel, Dissolve; Teleport and Nullify.

There are new spells like Leather Chausse, Remove Curse, Armor Ward and old spells like Mage Bane, Purify, etc that i would love to see in a serious amount of copies.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 01:40:08 AM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but has arcane wonders ever considered bringing out a spell tome of tool box spells i.e. Dispel, dissolve, teleport etc?
I have all the sets and enough books to have all mages going at once, but I'm always short of the spells that everyone needs, dispel etc.
I usually just use a scrap of paper in the cards place, but over 12 books that's lot of paper. Id be interested in buying a pack of spells that contained maybe 100 cards of 10 copies of the most commonly used cards, or something too that effect.

Great idea, I would buy it. I think it should include minor teleport and acid ball.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 10:54:35 AM »
I need about 10 Arcane Wards  8)
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 11:06:59 AM »
At this point, I have 3 Arena core sets, 2 Academy core sets, and 2 of each expansion, except only 1 Battlegrounds Domination, 1 of Core Spell Tome 1 and 0 of Core Spell Tome 2. Oh, and a bunch of promos, including that pack that included a few Teleports.  I have 1 book of almost every Arena mage built at any given time (except I think I only have 1 Warlord and 2 Wizards right now), with about half for regular 1-on-1 Arena and half for 3-way Domination.  And I still run out of some cards, like Dragonscale Hauberk (Arena), Teleport (both Arena and Domination), Force Push (both Arena and Domination), Dispel (Arena mostly), Dissolve (Arena mostly), Force Wave (Domination), Battle Fury (Domination mostly), Enchanter's Ring (Arena mostly), Acid Ball (both), Surging Wave (both), Brace Yourself (Arena mostly), Panther Stealth (Domination), Hawkeye (Arena mostly), Bear Strength (both), Wolf Fury (both), Reverse Attack (Arena), Defend (Domination), etc.

*edit* I lied. I only have 1 copy of Druid vs Necromancer so far, as I'm waiting for it to come back in stock locally. That will help with Acid Ball, plus let me have a Skeleton Necromancer (Domination) and Zombie Necromancer (Arena) built simultaneously.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:41:03 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 11:26:06 AM »
I need about 10 Arcane Wards  8)

Yup. Same here.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 12:01:23 PM »
ב"ה
At this point, I have 3 Arena core sets, 2 Academy core sets, and 2 of each expansion, with 1 of Core Spell Tome 1 and 0 of Core Spell Tome 2. Oh, and a bunch of promos, including that pack that included a few Teleports.  I have 1 book of almost every Arena mage built at any given time (except I think I only have 1 Warlord and 2 Wizards right now), with about half for regular 1-on-1 Arena and half for 3-way Domination.  And I still run out of some cards, like Dragonscale Hauberk (Arena), Teleport (both Arena and Domination), Force Push (both Arena and Domination), Dispel (Arena mostly), Dissolve (Arena mostly), Force Wave (Domination), Battle Fury (Domination mostly), Enchanter's Ring (Arena mostly), Acid Ball (both), Surging Wave (both), Brace Yourself (Arena mostly), Panther Stealth (Domination), Hawkeye (Arena mostly), Bear Strength (both), Wolf Fury (both), Reverse Attack (Arena), Defend (Domination), etc.

*edit* I lied. I only have 1 copy of Druid vs Necromancer so far, as I'm waiting for it to come back in stock locally. That will help with Acid Ball, plus let me have a Skeleton Necromancer (Domination) and Zombie Necromancer (Arena) built simultaneously.
Core spell tomes are really helpful.
I have around 6 core sets, with at least 3 copies of each expansion (save for battleground domination which I have only one copy, and for warlock academy which I have only 2 copies), and several copies of both core spell tomes. the spell tomes helped me a lot having enough dispells, dissolves, teleports, bear strengths, hawkeyes, force pushes, fireballs, battle forges and armor (and some creatures).
I definitely wish I had more acid balls and hurl rock/hurl boulder (even though turning the earth wizard I had into an air wizard after the errata did help me with the earth attack spells for the other books). I really hope to see an acid attack spell in that lost grimoire, which is supposed to be a cheap expansion like the core spell tomes. If there will be an acid attack spell in that expansion, then I am certain that 3-4 copies would give me all the corroding spells I need (especially if it will include the critical strike promo as well).
I wish there was an "advanced spell tome" expansion, that would give more copies of useful spells from the expansions (such as acid balls and force hammers).
I would also really like to see an "academy core spell tome", with additional copies of spells from the core set and the first 2 expansions.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 01:08:54 PM »
You boys rich?  :P

6 core sets and 3 of each expansion?? I could understand 2 but what's the added value of the 3th to 6th box? With that money you could buy tons of other boardgames or other stuff.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 01:13:48 PM »

6 core sets and 3 of each expansion?? I could understand 2 but what's the added value of the 3th to 6th box? With that money you could buy tons of other boardgames or other stuff.

For me, the 2nd core set was basically a more efficient way to get multiple copies of staple cards compared to buying Core Spell Tomes (but I used some store credit to get 1 copy of Core Spell Tome 1 after all). But then I picked up a copy of the 4th printing for the variety in artwork mainly (e.g. new books, new board, new card art with updated text / errata, etc) - and because I still didn't have enough copies of some cards.  Oh, and I'm an Ambassador so it's useful to have a Straywood map along with a Westock map and a Salenia neoprene mat when running demos/tournaments.

Mage Wars is my favourite hobby game, so I'm willing to invest some of my disposable income into it. Still about 100x cheaper to play than MtG, for instance, and probably 10x cheaper than X-wing (which I also play competitively).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:16:00 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 01:56:48 PM »
ב"ה

Sometime I am having a gaming session in the apartment I live in, and it already happened several times that 3 boards were needed. So I need some extra boards, even though 6 is probably just wishful thinking (if I needed 3 then having at least 5 sound reasonable).
I know many people who invested a lot more money in "Magic: The Gathering" than what I invested in Mage Wars (building a single decent deck in Magic: The Gathering is very expansive), so I don't feel like it is too much money spent. Mage Wars is currently my favorite game, so most of the money I spent on games in the last 2 years was on Mage Wars. I believe that the most new game installed on my computer is Skyrim, so it seems like I didn't spend too much on PC games (my total spending on games didn't rise too much).

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 02:00:01 PM »
I have:
  • 5x Core set  (2x 4th)
  • 4x Core Tome 1
  • 3x Core Tome 2
  • 2x ForceMaster vs Warlord
  • 2x Druid vs Necromancer
  • 2x Paladin vs Siren
  • 3x Conquest of Kumanjaro
  • 4x Forged in Fire
  • 2x Domination: Battlegrounds
  • 4x Academy: Wizard vs Beastmaster
  • 2x Academy: Priestess
  • 2x Academy: Warlock
  • Every promo existing (unprinted), most in multiple copies
  • Also I've bought probably 100-120 cards as singles.

...and I still runs out of card all the time! (I also have about 150 laser printed proxies to ease this). Some of that product has been one as tournament prizes, but other prizes have been sold off, so it balances. I've excluded stuff I've kept as sealed product to sell.

I have about  25 books built at anyone time currently (that number dropped by 5 after the Wizard errata, but PvS has added 2).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:42:15 PM by Kelanen »

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 02:12:04 PM »
I know many people who invested a lot more money in "Magic: The Gathering" than what I invested in Mage Wars (building a single decent deck in Magic: The Gathering is very expansive), so I don't feel like it is too much money spent

Yes, I have dozens of individual Magic cards that would pay for my entire MW collection.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 03:53:41 PM »
I have one of each except domination (maybe in the future). I have no books "ready" but we make one before every game. I have no shortage of any cards except core set cards. For that reason I might buy a second core set in the future for the forest map, some different art, and some tokens like the wrath tokens on the angel. I think I own the second edition core set.

I know many people who invested a lot more money in "Magic: The Gathering" than what I invested in Mage Wars (building a single decent deck in Magic: The Gathering is very expansive), so I don't feel like it is too much money spent. Mage Wars is currently my favorite game, so most of the money I spent on games in the last 2 years was on Mage Wars. I believe that the most new game installed on my computer is Skyrim, so it seems like I didn't spend too much on PC games (my total spending on games didn't rise too much).

I know! I never understood that.  :o I don't understand how you would ever be willing to pay so much for so little content. It's the number 1 reason I don't play those games. Not that I have money problems, but I'd rather spend all that money on travelling, or simply saving for example.   :P

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 04:44:24 PM »
I have no books "ready" but we make one before every game.

In my mind a good book should be the result of many hours of  careful building, balancing and refinement. Dozens of hours for many.

Playing the game is just proving the book works, but the intellectual challenge is the building. The same for all CCG/LCG's.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 03:00:02 AM »
Yeah, but my laptop is filled with OCTGN files. I just have no physical books.

Also, against casual opponents I prefer experimental books over fine-tweaked books. More fun for both of us. There is no fun in destroying an opponent with all the best tricks while he is not aware of the existence.