April 27, 2024, 12:04:20 PM

Author Topic: Darkfenne Hydra  (Read 5786 times)

Guru of Mana

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Darkfenne Hydra
« on: October 27, 2016, 04:03:55 PM »
Hello!
Isn't the OP with all its dice and a cheetah speed?
9 dice is strong, and 4 additional counter-dice is very strong against swarm builds.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Darkfenne Hydra
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 04:08:23 PM »
I love posts like this with refreshing views.  :D

9 dice is a lot stronger than 3x3 dice. Just imagine armor, aegis, ...
Also, that attack is a full action, so even with cheetah speed you cannot use it. That's why cheetah speed is not great on it.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 05:18:57 PM »
Darkfenne Hydra rocks against swarms with a Bear Strength :D 6 dice counter strikes mwahaha
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 06:18:51 PM »
Coshade you just blew my mind.  I had to recheck the codex for the melee + trait, because I knew about it only worked on the first strike and not the other two, I just was not sure how that effects counter strike.

What I discovered is awesome and your totally right the counter strike ability allows every attack to get melee + bonus.  Duh I am such noob, still learning new things.   

And Now I want to play Wizard more with Hydra's because they are now more awesome than I originally thought especially with bear strength!!!
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 07:41:02 PM »
indded they are awesome. i built a book that spams the board with hydras and gorgon archers.  basically build up channelling and hard cast one each round.  ;D

Guru of Mana

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 01:49:16 PM »
How effective is that strategy?

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 02:03:02 PM »
I prefer Wolf Fury on the Hydra. 4+3+3 with  Piercing +1 on each strike, and 5-dice with Piercing +1 on counterstrikes is generally a better deal than 5+3+3 and 6-dice counterstrikes all without Piercing. You might argue that Bear Strength is still better vs swarms of 0-armour creatures, but the problem is your opponent has control over whether or not the counterstrike gets to trigger (e.g. nobody is forcing an opponent to send his creatures at the Hydra).

Oh, and Wolf Fury costs less mana.

That said, when in doubt, use both!
(6+3+3 with Piercing +1 full action; 7-dice with Piercing +1 on counterstrikes!)
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »
I prefer Wolf Fury on the Hydra. 4+3+3 with  Piercing +1 on each strike, and 5-dice with Piercing +1 on counterstrikes is generally a better deal than 5+3+3 and 6-dice counterstrikes all without Piercing. You might argue that Bear Strength is still better vs swarms of 0-armour creatures, but the problem is your opponent has control over whether or not the counterstrike gets to trigger (e.g. nobody is forcing an opponent to send his creatures at the Hydra).

Oh, and Wolf Fury costs less mana.

That said, when in doubt, use both!
(6+3+3 with Piercing +1 full action; 7-dice with Piercing +1 on counterstrikes!)

Bear strength is also useful if you don't feel like dispelling an agony. Although it doesn't help his second and third strikes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 04:51:45 PM »
How effective is that strategy?

Actually very effective in casual matches. It is not a competitive book at all. But quite fun. Nothing like having 2 or 3 archers and 2 or 3 hydras slithering around the board. I used teleports, force pushes (and now lesser teleports) to move them around. No lame clumping them all in one place and porting enemy to them. Just pushing them around was enough. Oh, and I would not buff them at all either. Just let them be as they were created. I included a banish (because it cost a lot of mana too) for a creature that could harm my pets, thunderbolts (because they cost a lot of mana), purge and destroy magic (because they cost a lot of mana) . I had a forge in it (because I had a lot of mana to spare).

I would first cast the forge and and move to get mana spread around. The arcane ring (to conserve even more mana), and cast several crystals, harmonize, amulet, and move back to the corner and start pumping out the scary beasts. I would stand off and bolt opponents while the creatures would pound things to mush. Huge entertainment for both me and my opponent. Without fail, all the opponents loved getting beat up by the huge creatures.

The book was intentionally not efficient (except to generating mana). It was specifically to be about casting the large creatures. I also skipped the spawnpoint (even though it cost a lot of mana) intentionally too, same for wizard tower. It was more about the fun of spamming huge dudes onto the board. I would not go after my opponents at all and let them do whatever they were wanting to do. Then we would eventually clash and my creatures were generally superior so would be enough to sway things. I have had this one for a long while, and never had to convert it to air as it was always an air wizard. People were worried when they faced a wizard, but I told them it was a very slow book to match their slow book or noncompetitive build on their side. I could easily make it meaner, but want something slow to match up against opponents who wanted a slower match. I could also play this book against newer players who may have a faster book but not experienced yet and it would be a good match. At one point, it had zero dispels and zero seeking dispels in it because all my copies were in other books. I had a destroy magic, and a dispel wand. How awful is that? Anyway, it has been completely fun to play.

It is undefeated I think. Maybe lost once. But I am sure the opponents did not mind losing to it because it was not a cheesy in your face competitive wizard.

I have had an opponent turn one of my hydras into a zombie, and he used it to kill his own mage before I could do it for him. A great example of how fun it was for both players.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 05:00:41 PM by zot »

Guru of Mana

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply!
It was very interesting.

Two question pertain however:
1/ Were you ever rushed?
2/ How in the world did that mage kill himself?

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 12:17:21 AM »
I love this hydra-gorgon story!

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 08:52:53 AM »
No not rushed. The opponents each said they had a non competitive book, or a slow book, or asked for me to match speed or play a slow book on my side.

He killed himself by attacking his own zombie hydra and the counterstrike killed him is how I think it went. Pure silliness.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 05:24:58 AM »
I prefer giving a Gorgon Archer the eagle wings enchantment for swarms, especially if they chuck a load of damage its way and they cannot fly. The damage falls off and it can kill a lot of small creatures really easily.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 10:50:41 AM »
Summoning Gorgon Archer round 1 is a very nasty play against a dedicated rush book, if its creatures are living.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.