April 18, 2024, 09:24:45 PM

Author Topic: Trying to rush with the siren.  (Read 2763 times)

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Trying to rush with the siren.
« on: October 24, 2016, 04:24:17 PM »
ב"ה

I know that sirens are usually supposed to try to go for the long game, but when facing mages that are better at long games (such as a necromancer), I need at least some rush contingencies in a siren book. I believe the worst opponent a siren could face is a necromancer, since all of his creatures are psychic immune and he is just better at meditating in his corner with an Idol of pestilence. You don't have to be in his face on 2nd turn, but in order to defeat the necromancer you should at least move quickly towards him.

First option (the quicker one)-
[19]
1) mana crystal + double move.
[24]
2) Water Elemental + face down enchantment (probably a ballad of courage on the elemental).

3) Lesser teleport on water elemental + hawkeye (+ reveal ballad of courage). So I get to my opponent's corner by turn 3 (and possibly attack with 7 dice, and with some luck 3 more dice from pushing into a wall or pushing him away from his creatures if they are not pests).

4) Marked for death on enemy mage + hurl rock

Obviously, there are other alternatives on turn 3 and on, depending on the opponents reaction, but I think you could get the Idea of the opening (the first 2 turns are the important ones)

Second option (the slower one, which is sort of solo)-
[19]
1) Naiya + mana crystal.
[12/1]
2) Ring of tides (by naiya) + mana crystal + hawkeye.
[13/1]

Basically it is supposed to act like a battleforge opening, except that you can't move on your first turn, and Naiya only bring the water equipment (especially the ring, armor, weapon and elemental wand) but not leather pieces or things like that. Otherwise, after bringing the equipment you need, Naiya could stop being your battle forge, and become your wizard tower (casting acid balls and swells and surging waves). Of course, The possibility of casting rust is well remembered (and lullaby in case you try this opening against a non-necromancer). I must try this opening before I could know how terrible is it to miss your move on first turn.

What do you think is the best way to use the siren in a fast or middle strategy?
[I rate strategies as "Fast", "Middle" or "Long". With Long not really being an option against a necromancer (and some would say that against the druid as well).]

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to rush with the siren.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 07:40:10 PM »
I think your better off with aggro board control.

Its a heavy heavy investment to get idol and or deathlock + a spawnpoint early and a simple few big creature rush should be manageable. If he plays a deathlock take advantage of it and get bleed counters on him.
(deathlock is actually very strong against necromancer so if he plays it on you, turn it against him and let him be doing you a favour (saving 9 mana)).

Starting out with hurl boudlers should be easy for him to counter with a couple of armor items and obscured one way or the other while running away from you letting a few small zombies dish out good damage that quickly adds up to more than your boulders.