April 19, 2024, 10:48:34 AM

Author Topic: Super Smash Mages v2  (Read 4435 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Super Smash Mages v2
« on: September 26, 2016, 08:20:25 PM »
Two ways to win.

Standard victory: you win if you kill enemy mage.
Smash victory:You win if the enemy mage has three smash tokens.

If someone is wall bashed against one of the outer walls of the arena, that wall is destroyed.

Any creature can move to zones outside of the Arena. There are an infinite number of zones outside the arena in rows and columns in all directions. The interior of the arena itself is 3x4 zones.

During the reset phase, if a creature is in a zone outside the arena, they are returned to the Arena in their controlling mage's starting zone. If the returned creature is a mage, they get a smash token.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 04:49:46 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Mages v2
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 03:59:59 AM »
Sounds fun!

But:
I would not remove a wall for a melee attack. That would favor swarm books to much. Also I guess the end is pretty random by lucky combos. As mage you would always carry a force push in your hand just for the case you are last caster.

I would change it so that only wallbashes remove walls, but forever. If it's fallen this is a danger zone.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:01:20 AM »
[mwcard=MW1E11]Divine Intervention[/mwcard] might require banning in this format, unless you define "in the Arena" differently than "zones outside the original 4x3 shown on the map" or whatever.

Teleport Traps and such would also be good, since 6x Nullify would be mandatory to prevent late-in-a-round Incanation- or Attack Spell-based Push effects. Eagleclaw Boots and Astral Anchor would see a lot of play, too.

Maybe adjust the win condition so the mage needs 3 "counted out" markers, where it receives such a marker each round that it is outside the 4x3 Arena during the Upkeep phase. This way, you can survive 1 or 2 late Push/Teleport/Intervention plays, but you get closer and closer to defeat (via "count out") each time you let it happen to you. Or perhaps take 10 damage (or better yet, lose 10 life) if you are outside the 4x3 Arena during upkeep, and just have the normal Arena win condition with a new way to deal burst damage (?).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 04:40:26 PM by iNano78 »

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Super Smash Mages v2
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:35:24 PM »
[mwcard=MW1E11]Divine Intervention[/mwcard] might require banning in this format, unless you define "in the Arena" differently than "zones outside the original 4x3 shown on the map" or whatever.

Teleport Traps and such would also be good, since 6x Nullify would be mandatory to prevent late-in-a-round Incanation- or Attack Spell-based Push effects. Eagleclaw Boots and Astral Anchor would see a lot of play, too.

Maybe adjust the win consition so the mage needs 3 "counted out" markers, where it receives such a marker each round that it is outside the 4x3 Arena during the Upkeep phase. This way, you can survive 1 or 2 late Push/Teleport/Intervention plays, but you get closer and closer to defeat (via "count out") each time you let it happen to you. Or perhaps take 10 damage (or better yet, lose 10 life) if you are outside the 4x3 Arena during upkeep, and just have the normal Arena win condition with a new way to deal burst damage (?).

I'm kind of skeptical of that. I'd rather have a smash victory than dealing 10 damage or -10 life. The reason for this is that if I were to have 10 damage or -10 life dealt, The game might become too fast. Better if smash victory and standard victory are separate win conditions without stacking them together.

As for divine intervention, I think it's probably fine. Divine intervention costs 12 mana total, to get one smash token on the enemy mage. They would still have to put on two more and DI is epic. Plus they can always just go for standard victory and kill the Mage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 03:40:12 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 04:43:28 PM »
As for divine intervention, I think it's probably fine. Divine intervention costs 12 mana total, to get one smash token on the enemy mage. They would still have to put on two more and DI is epic. Plus they can always just go for standard victory and kill the Mage.

Couldn't you use Divine Intervention to teleport the opposing mage, say, 100 zones "north" such that he/she can never get back to the Arena before losing the match?

Or is "outside the Arena" one big zone, so you can never be more than 1 zone away from an "entrance" to get back in?

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 04:46:38 PM »
During the reset phase, if a creature is in a zone outside the arena, they are returned to the Arena in their controlling mage's starting zone. If the returned creature is a mage, they get a smash token.

Sorry I forgot to include that rule.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 04:53:58 PM »
I'm not sure if non-mage creatures should be able to receive smash tokens or not. On the one hand, walls only get destroyed by wall bashes, so you'd need push effects to deal smash tokens at all, so even if having a smash token during the reset phase could destroy a non-mage creature, it probably won't do that too often. But then again, if only mages can gain smash tokens, then nobody would have much reason to push non-mage creatures outside the Arena. In the original super smash bros video game franchise, the equivalent of non mage creatures would be assist trophies, and those went away after a certain amount of time elapsed, kind of like dissipate trait. However in Mage Wars it might work better to simply subject non-mage creatures to the same smash token rules but with fewer smash tokens. Maybe non-mage minor creatures die if they have one smash token during reset phase, and non-mage major creatures die if they have two smash tokens during reset phase? Not sure about this hmm....