May 20, 2024, 04:16:51 PM

Author Topic: Giant Wolves - Johktari Beastmaster  (Read 7976 times)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Giant Wolves - Johktari Beastmaster
« on: September 21, 2016, 08:54:21 AM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Giant Wolves[/spellbookname]
[mage]Johktari Beastmaster[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWA01Q05]1 x  Packleader's Cowl[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q02]1 x  Bearskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q06]1 x  Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ07]1 x  Veteran's Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q03]3 x  Kajarah[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x  Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j13]2 x  Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ02]2 x  Corrosive Orchid[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]1 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFW01]1 x  Wall of Earth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1w01]1 x  Fog Bank[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c13]1 x  Fellella, Pixie Familiar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c38]3 x  Timber Wolf[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C12]1 x  Emerald Tegu[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC06]1 x  Kralathor, The Devourer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWA01E03]4 x  Badger Frenzy[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E08]2 x  Giant Size[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]2 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]3 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E05]2 x  Dodge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e03]1 x  Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]2 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E10]1 x  Iguana Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]2 x  Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E25]1 x  Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]2 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E10]1 x  Decoy[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E02]1 x  Arcane Ward[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWA01I01]2 x  Crumble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]1 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]3 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01I02]1 x  Disperse[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]2 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRI06]1 x  Reveal Magic[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I25]1 x  Shift Enchantment[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i23]2 x  Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i20]1 x  Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRI05]1 x  Remove Curse[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]1 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]4 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02]3 x  Hurl Rock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]2 x  Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a08]1 x  Geyser[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:38:01 AM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Wolves - Johktari Beastmaster
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 09:31:21 AM »
The book doesn't have a standard opening.

You can go double Mana Flower and move to NC to keep all your options open, be in striking range and have 11 Channelling per round
or you can go Wolf + Flower or even [mwcard=MW1C13] Fellella, Pixie Familiar[/mwcard] + Flower on R1

how would you continue? In either oponing if you dont follow up with one of the other you waste 3(fellela), 4 (fellela +flower) or 1flower spellbook point on something. Probably you should decide on playing with fellela or not. Of course double flower you can play with fellala either way.

Have you considered a Tegu, its better with frenzy as it has also an effect.

[mwcard=mw1i23] Rouse the Beast[/mwcard] is of course another Attack spell disguised as an Incantation.
Rouse your Wolf for just two mana and you get 4 Attack dice. That's a great deal.
Even Rousing Kralathor for 4 mana to get 6 dice vs undead looks like a good deal to me, provided you can afford it at that time, of course.
The idea of seeing rouse and badger as a 3/2 mana 4dice attack spell is ok, but you can have 5 dice for 4 with a potential effect-> back to degu.

Why not have [mwcard=MW1E25] Maim Wings[/mwcard] instead of [mwcard=MWBG1J02] Gravikor[/mwcard] ?
Sure Gravikor is more expensive but
- Maim Wings is a lost action and mana when you kill the creature while Gravikor may still be around and can be guarded by the wolves ( which plays into your strategy )
- If it is taken out with Attack spells it will cost the enemy probably at least its equivalent in mana and those are attack spells not used on the wolves
- Maim Wings requires you to kill the creature the round you bring it down. If that fails and it's Dispelled, you could have dug yourself into a hole.
- It brings every creature within two zones down to earth, including Fellella, but that is actually an advantage because now she can be guarded by the wolves and she is no longer unprotected bait in the air.

[mwcard=MWA01Q03] Kajarah[/mwcard] is a nice cheap weapon that can be QC and then used to hit a creature up to 3 zones away for up to 5 dice ( base 2 + 1 from animal attack + 1 from Archery Skill + 1 from Hawkeye )

4 [mwcard=DNA01] Acid Ball[/mwcard] 2 [mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07] Rust[/mwcard] 2 [mwcard=DNJ02] Corrosive Orchid[/mwcard] 2 [mwcard=MWA01I01] Crumble[/mwcard] and 1 [mwcard=mw1i07] Dissolve
[/mwcard] are at hand to deal with any Armor and/or "must go" equipment.

A number of "catch all" spells like [mwcard=MWBG1J02] Gravikor[/mwcard] [mwcard=MW1I21] Purge Magic[/mwcard] [mwcard=MW1I20] Purify[/mwcard] [mwcard=MWAPRI05] Remove Curse[/mwcard] and  [mwcard=mw1a08] Geyser[/mwcard] are there to give you action advantage and/or a one action solution to an ongoing problem.

With Fellella out, [mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02] Akiro's Favor[/mwcard] is more likely to see play.
Now Acid Ball has a 89% chance of doing a double Corrode and your Kajarah, [mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02] Hurl Rock[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01] Surging Wave[/mwcard] become a lot more dependable.

With kajarah why do you want garvikor? for the casting cost kill the flyers? with attack spell+kajarah? I'd run a second hawkeye as well.

why fogbank?
not sure if you want reveal magic instead of a seeking here.

like that you try to get good dispel, purify...

Maybe you want more avaiable armor, no backups of nothing apart from rhino, so vet belt could get useless fast. In addiation adramalech warlock will simply roast you alive

last I also tried a minor creature timberwolf based book, all those can be easily countered by the avaibale counters against minors from academy: miss, stagger, ....
that I still dont include those cards in my books speeks about the general strength of those books.

ExcaliburTK

• Curator of the White Spires
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:46:12 AM »
I've been working on a deck similar to this. Glad to see someone else working on it. Most of time I open with Kajarah and mana flower. It helps if they come with early aggression and it conserves mana for when you need to drop a creature and enchantments. The rest of the time I open with fellella and mana flower.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:02:04 PM »
how would you continue? In either oponing if you dont follow up with one of the other you waste 3(fellela), 4 (fellela +flower) or 1flower spellbook point on something. Probably you should decide on playing with fellela or not. Of course double flower you can play with fellala either way.

The idea is to play with Fellella of course.She'll come out sooner rather than later.
The extra action she brings really frees up the JB to use her Kajarah.
I'm hesitant to play Fellella in R1 though due to her fragility and the care/actions she needs and the possibility of the opposing mage coming out agressively, in which case I like her more in the safety of my spellbook to start the game and summon another creature first.

Have you considered a Tegu, its better with frenzy as it has also an effect.

I did consider the Tegu and have given him some more thought since your reply and suggestion.

Offensively, the Wolf is better imo.
A frenzied wolf rolls 8 dice while a frenzied Tegu rolls only 6 dice and when roused it's 4 vs 3 in the Wolf's favor.
There's also the matter of the wolf having 10 life vs Tegu's 8 which I find somewhat "borderline" safe.
The extra armor of the Tegu helps of course.

The general idea of the book is to take out enemy non-mage creatures asap, not to put rot markers on them.
The Wounded Prey marker points towards the same goal.
I simply think that it is preferable to roll 8 dice vs a non-mage creature ( and hold a QC attack spell in reserve to finish it off ) instead of rolling just 6 dice with a rot probability ( plus possible QC ) and maybe falling just short of killing it, thus giving it one more chance to activate and harm your mage or creatures.

Actually there's only one creature where I like to see those Rot markers amount on and that's the enemy mage.
So, defensively, or when under early aggression I can see the Tegu perform better than the Wolf.
He has the armor for it and the deterrent ( Rot ) and Giant Size is an enchantment that fits this ( Guard ) playstyle very nicely. It's actually a bigger boost (percentagewise) for him than for the Wolf.
I've replaced 1 wolf with a Tegu.

The biggest reason however not to turn this into an all-out Tegu book is
- that the Tegu's Rot chances are rather low imo : only 41.5% chance per hit, meaning you have to attack already 5 times to have an average of 2 Rot markers on an enemy.
- that it is a complete non-factor vs a Necromancer, non-living or other poison immune creatures. You'd basically be playing with Timber Wolves with two less life, one less die but one more armor and a weakened Badger Frenzy.
- that a Priestess might be another problem mage as she is very good at dealing with condition markers
- that Purify is included in a lot of books.

However, as I already mentioned, 1 Tegu certainly has a role in there.
More play will tell whether I want a second copy ( or more ) or not.

I'd run a second hawkeye as well.

I have to agree there, the card is too valuable not to have a back up.

With kajarah why do you want garvikor? for the casting cost kill the flyers? with attack spell+kajarah?

Pumped up, enchantment transfusing Guardian Angels are scary.
I just can't get them out with a Kajarah and an attack spell.
The Kajarah will roll only 4 dice most of the time minus 1 die from Aegis = 3 dice vs 1 armor. The Angel is probably not going to use it's defense on that.
Hurl Rock and Acid ball are not unavoidable and run the risk of being a total loss.
I'd run through my mana and attack spells at an alarming rate and get very little result out of it.

Gravikor gets them down to earth and allows me to get animal support for the kills, which improves the karajah by 1 die as well.

However, I see your point and do agree, the mana and sbp's spent on Gravikor can be better spent on something that does damage.
I figure I simply need a second ranged attacker to handle flyers : enter [mwcard=DNC16] Spitting Raptor[/mwcard]
A ranged attack that can corrode fits right in. This addition also makes sure that the second Hawkeye is not a potential dead card.

why fogbank?

To bring my creatures adjacent without being shot at or to block LoS to a Battle Forge or sometimes just to prevent the other mage from planting a wall in that spot which would hurt me ...

I tried to cover my bases with the Decoy, Seeking Dispel and Reveal Magic.
To pop a Nullify, Decoy is excellent. No, it's not, as pointed out by Ringkichard below. ;)
To take out a FD Forcefield or Spiked Pit, Seeking Dispel is your spell of choice.
To neutralize an Enchantment Transfusion and then Purge Magic or to neutralize an Arcane Ward then destroy the enchantment it is attached to and thus the AW as well, Reveal Magic is your best choice imo.

Maybe you want more avaiable armor, no backups of nothing apart from rhino, so vet belt could get useless fast.

I understand the theory about playing doubles of key cards to be able to continue your strategy, but with regard to armor I like to have "additionals" rather than "doubles".
So rather than have 2 or 3 identical body armor I prefer to have just 1 of many , so they can all be attached ( theoretically ) to improve your armor rate and you keep the "dead" cards to a minimum.
But maybe you mean my possible 6 armor is not high enough ?
That would mean I'd have to add some leathers ?

In addition adramalech warlock will simply roast you alive

Can't deny nor confirm as I haven't played this book vs the Adramelech yet ;)
Any suggestions as to what to add to prevent that roasting ?
My guess is one simple 3 sbp Dragonscale Hauberk is not going to drastically change the outcome.

Thanks for your input, Mystery, much appreciated.

I've been working on a deck similar to this. Glad to see someone else working on it. Most of time I open with Kajarah and mana flower. It helps if they come with early aggression and it conserves mana for when you need to drop a creature and enchantments. The rest of the time I open with fellella and mana flower.

Any reason why you play Kajarah R1, CRBIV ?
You're not going to use it anyway and you can still QC it R2 if you want to use it there.
Maybe Flower + FD Rhino Hide first, then Kajarah R2 ... ?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:15:24 AM by Borg »

ExcaliburTK

• Curator of the White Spires
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 12:29:18 PM »
The reason I Kajarah turn one is because on turn two I want to be able to quick cast something else. This is because the meta I'm in is primarily rush aggro and it's good to have it plus be able to ready two options to defend myself. Now that being said if I'm going up against a priestess, druid or necro I'll probably start differently than if it was a warlock or beastmaster.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 02:35:10 PM »
Is there a reason you prefer Decoy for popping Nullify? When I began playing I did, too, but stopped when I learned that the Nullify prevents the Decoy from becoming an Enchantment, so no mana is returned.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 04:03:12 PM »
Pumped up, enchantment transfusing Guardian Angels are scary.
I just can't get them out with a Kajarah and an attack spell.
The Kajarah will roll only 4 dice most of the time minus 1 die from Aegis = 3 dice vs 1 armor. The Angel is probably not going to use it's defense on that.
Hurl Rock and Acid ball are not unavoidable and run the risk of being a total loss.
I'd run through my mana and attack spells at an alarming rate and get very little result out of it.

Gravikor gets them down to earth and allows me to get animal support for the kills, which improves the karajah by 1 die as well.

However, I see your point and do agree, the mana and sbp's spent on Gravikor can be better spent on something that does damage.
I figure I simply need a second ranged attacker to handle flyers : enter [mwcard=DNC16] Spitting Raptor[/mwcard]
A ranged attack that can corrode fits right in. This addition also makes sure that the second Hawkeye is not a potential dead card.

I tried to cover my bases with the Decoy, Seeking Dispel and Reveal Magic.
To pop a Nullify, Decoy is excellent.
To take out a FD Forcefield or Spiked Pit, Seeking Dispel is your spell of choice.
To neutralize an Enchantment Transfusion and then Purge Magic or to neutralize an Arcane Ward then destroy the enchantment it is attached to and thus the AW as well, Reveal Magic is your best choice imo.

Maybe you want more avaiable armor, no backups of nothing apart from rhino, so vet belt could get useless fast.

I understand the theory about playing doubles of key cards to be able to continue your strategy, but with regard to armor I like to have "additionals" rather than "doubles".
So rather than have 2 or 3 identical body armor I prefer to have just 1 of many , so they can all be attached ( theoretically ) to improve your armor rate and you keep the "dead" cards to a minimum.
But maybe you mean my possible 6 armor is not high enough ?
That would mean I'd have to add some leathers ?

In addition adramalech warlock will simply roast you alive

Can't deny nor confirm as I haven't played this book vs the Adramelech yet ;)
Any suggestions as to what to add to prevent that roasting ?
My guess is one simple 3 sbp Dragonscale Hauberk is not going to drastically change the outcome.

concerning armor, i still think you want an extra chest piece or a rhino hide, just a single dissolve/dispel and you are already quite low. You dont really have the actions for the leather probably so i'd rather try to have 2 copies of the armor+2 possibilities to bring out if needed. Coming together the dragonscale can already do part of that, elemental cloak might be a good other option, but with packleaders cowl you have no space for it. The wizard probably wont attack you directly with lightning spells as staggering your minors is much better.

About the reveal magic, for purge magic yes, but all other cases the seeking is better as the ET or whatever is around is gone and not just not revealable. Go with it, but very rare cases what reveal can do what seeking cant (mana cost is the oportunity bases for reveal)

about the angels, i have only faced such a book once, was not scary, but if they are so super strong you also wont kill them that easy on ground. and they can take out gravikor fast i suspect. But I'd personally try to deal with them otherwise, maybe even an hunting bow as an oprunity or the raptor as you said.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 03:18:55 AM »
Is there a reason you prefer Decoy for popping Nullify? When I began playing I did, too, but stopped when I learned that the Nullify prevents the Decoy from becoming an Enchantment, so no mana is returned.

You are right, Kich.
The thing that makes me feel real bad about this is that I knew that, yet somehow "forgot"  :-[ ... I hope this is not a sign of my mind starting to slide :(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:20:37 AM by Borg »

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 05:25:11 AM »

You are right, Kich.
The thing that makes me feel real bad about this is that I knew that, yet somehow "forgot"  :-[ ... I hope this is not a sign of my mind starting to slide :(

you can also target enchantments and arcane wards so pretty good to have decoy.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 06:28:52 AM »

You are right, Kich.

you can also target enchantments and arcane wards so pretty good to have decoy.

For what it's worth, for the same sbp you can just use an arcane ward to probe for nully/AW. There are extremely few cases in which I'd rather have a decoy than Another AW
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 07:03:25 AM »
you cant probe with arcane ward on a mage

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 07:28:43 AM »
concerning armor, i still think you want an extra chest piece or a rhino hide, just a single dissolve/dispel and you are already quite low. You dont really have the actions for the leather probably so i'd rather try to have 2 copies of the armor+2 possibilities to bring out if needed. Coming together the dragonscale can already do part of that, ...

With the JB planning to use her main action on Kajarah, her QC actions indeed become premium, so you're correct that there's likely no time to play the leathers.
I guess you've given me enough reason to go with a Dragonscale after all.

about the angels, i have only faced such a book once, was not scary, but if they are so super strong you also wont kill them that easy on ground. and they can take out gravikor fast i suspect. But I'd personally try to deal with them otherwise, maybe even an hunting bow as an oprunity or the raptor as you said.

Guardian Angel + Bear Strength + Lion Savagery + Cheetah Speed + an Enchantment Transfusion to protect the stack and to shift everything to the second angel and attack again with 7 dice and Piercing +1 are scary things in my experience and not easily taken out with that Aegis, Flying and a Defense.

For what it's worth, for the same sbp you can just use an arcane ward to probe for nully/AW. There are extremely few cases in which I'd rather have a decoy than Another AW

I think Decoy is somewhat necessary for this book for at least a couple of reasons
- to allow you to mix it up with your regular Badger Frenzy or Giant Size plays, so you do not become too predictable in that regard and maybe you can draw out a Seeking Dispel from your opponent this way.
- the Decoy becomes more usefull as you play the same opponent again who knows what's coming.
- I've also found it handy to have available as a second option for my QC when you cannot play your first option anymore for whatever reason and otherwise your QC would be wasted.

Then there's the matter of [mwcard=MW1I21] Purge Magic[/mwcard]
I'm beginning to doubt the usefulness of this one in this book.
At 6 sbps it takes a huge chunk of sbp's away that could be put to very good use elsewhere
but the main problem I have is that any player who puts 3+ enchantments on 1 creature is likely going to have a Wardstone out as well ( probably somewhere way out of reach ) making the Purge basically unplayable.

Would like to hear your opinions on the inclusion/exclusion of that card.
In the meantime, I replaced it and added another Seeking Dispel, Kajarah, Rhino Hide and Acid Ball.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:41:52 AM by Borg »

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 03:36:18 AM »
This book in this form doesn't work.

Things I found out so far :

- Fellella slows you down enormously with actions and mana while you want to summon and bring the Wolves forward asap.
That first or second round non-move action to summon fellella takes the speed out of your game and as a result the Wolves come into play too late because the opponent has had time to set himself up and prepare for what's coming.

- Against an aggressive opponent you may find yourself in a struggle to defend yourself as well as Fellella which doesn't bode well for neither.

- Badger Frenzy is a nice 3 mana for 4 damage card with the Wolves but you need to play it early. As the game goes on, this becomes less and less of a "power" play.

- Kajarah is simply not strong enough to continually play. A Full Action for a vanilla 5 dice attack max, more often just a 4 dice attack and even then you also need Hawkeye, is not going to worry anyone down the stretch.

- I also think that the vanilla Wolves are not strong enough options to spend a full mage action on. ( A Pet may be different ) Lair is likely the best choice for Wolves, but Lair doesn't fit in this book

Overall : not strong enough to compete and thus .... discontinued.

Thanks anyway to all who replied and read ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:44:25 AM by Borg »

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 04:01:50 AM »
Hey Borg, bice try anyway!
I have 2 ideas I am working on right now, and you make me want to share it.

But back to that book. Your result is to not continue the minor-only-build, right?
I guess with adding redclaw and slavörg and you could make this book work, but the idea would be lost, indeed.

Kajarah itself is not a bad weapon. Especially for the straywood beastmaster, because he can summon using his qc. For him it is a cheap ranged attack. The mana you safe can be used for many purposes. Its attack has to be seen as add-on, not the main hitter, and as this can be annoying for the enemy. You can trigger blocks or wizards voltaric shield or count down forcefield with it. Supporting the big hit.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 10:21:06 AM »
Your result is to not continue the minor-only-build, right?

Hi Chef,

Not with the Johktari anyway, I'll try a Wolf/minor approach with the Straywood next as I see some possibilities there too :

A Pet Timber Wolf is 12 mana for 5/6 dice, 3 armor and 13 life. That is a good use of a Full Action I assume.

Rouse the beast : 2 mana for 5/6 dice attack, can't do much better.

A Giant size at the right time makes this 7/8 dice for 18 life.

With an amount of attack dice this high, Sanguine Thirst ( a 2 sbp, 3 mana Vampirism for minors ) can make the Wolf really durable against living opponents and I can see Retaliate work well in that situation too.

Has nice synergy with the Johktari Hunting Knife which can add another Melee+1 and the Packleader's Cowl which can give the Pet Guard, ( both requiring the Mage and pet operating in same zone. )

Acid Balls and Hurl Rocks and a dose of staples to round out.

Should probably be a Battle Forge book.

If you have any suggestions, remarks, I'd like to hear them ;)

I have 2 ideas I am working on right now, and you make me want to share it.

By all means, make a post about them, chef, the worst that can happen is you find out it doesn't work as planned ;)
At best, you get some great advice and you come up with a really good book for yourself.