April 23, 2024, 03:47:36 AM

Author Topic: St. Louis, MO - Tournament - Oct. 8  (Read 5614 times)

ab235g

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
St. Louis, MO - Tournament - Oct. 8
« on: September 03, 2016, 11:42:05 AM »
Tournament Details
Date: Saturday October 8th, 2016
Start Time: 1 pm
Entry Fee: $5.00
Player Cap: None
Structure: Swiss - Standard Mage Wars tournament rules.
( This means that only sets that have been released for more than 30 days will be legal, so no Paladin vs. Siren cards )
Rounds: 4 - 6 Rounds (Based on attendance)
Prizes:
Grand prize: First run copy of Paladin vs. Siren + Alternate art Paladin and Siren mages Promos

2nd and 3rd: Other various Mage Wars merchandise and promos
( Attendance prizes will also be awarded )

Game Nite
8330 Watson Rd
St. Louis, MO 63119
MON-SUN: 10AM-10PM
314-270-8440
gameniteshop@gmail.com

For any other questions or concerns please reply to this thread.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 10:40:26 PM by ab235g »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: St. Louis, MO - Tournament - Oct. 8
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 02:15:16 AM »
hey guys. i will try to make it, depending on work. i won't know until time gets closer. as a heads up for any who may want to pop over to indy for a mw weekend starting 10/28 in indy, let me know. i will get you the details.

ab235g

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 10:37:07 PM »
Great, looking forward to seeing you there (maybe)
 I forgot to add this to the original post, but it will be standard Mage Wars tournament rules.
This means that only sets that have been released for more than 30 days will be legal, so no Paladin vs. Siren cards.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 10:39:09 PM by ab235g »

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 10:46:28 PM »
?  First official tournament for me.  So me and a buddy may be attending the tournament.  Is the wizard changes as far as the air only going to be an official rule for this event?  Just curious my buddy runs an earth wizard.  Not a crazy problem he can adjust.

ab235g

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 10:55:41 PM »
Yeah, We are going to be using all of the current arcane wonders tournament rules and errata. Which means wizard will be air/arcane only.
So, only expansions that have been officially released for at least 30 days. This will mean everything is legal except Paladin vs. Siren and any promos.
Hope to see you there.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 02:20:05 PM »
So yea we will be traveling from Champaign, IL and be in attendance for the tournament this weekend. 

? on the swiss format times for the rounds.  What time limit will you be using for each match? 

Thanks in advance for doing this, can't wait to meet the St. Louis mage wars community.  I am really excited to be participating in this event. 

ab235g

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 02:37:19 PM »
Matches are 75 minutes in length.
Scoreing works follows

Win by mage death = 4 points
If game goes to time limit the mage with the most remaining life gets a modified win = 3 points
Modified loss = 1 point
Loss by mage death = 0 points

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 02:44:21 PM »
ok sounds good thinks!

ab235g

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 10:29:41 AM »
Today is the day looking forward to seeing what kind of turn out we get.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 09:36:19 PM »
Thanks again for hosting.  You guys did a great job, a fun competitive tournament, and it was good getting to know the STL Mage wars crew.  Learned a lot and look forward in getting to game some more with you guys!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:56:14 AM by farkas1 »

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 02:06:28 PM »
Who won? What mage did they use? How many people showed?
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 09:57:24 PM »
sorry could not make this one. will try next time.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 08:49:08 AM »
I will give a short report of my book and how well it did against the other match ups.  I ran a stray wood beast master with a lot of the academy cards including bear cubs, asps, wytchwood hounds ect.   I Added a few other lvl 1 creatures such as Falcons, feral bobcats, and having some more heavy creatures timber wolves, emerald tegu and steel claw matriarch, along with of course slavorg and some more utility based creatures based on who I am playing against.

My book is a swarm book with a kicker it turns into a "hyper enchant/buffs" mid to late game.   The goal is simple mass a swarm with a variety of low lvl 1 creatures using a lair and stray wood's ability to quick cast a lvl creature.   With my initial set up the first two rounds I able to summon 3 lvl ones for a few turns to build up the swarm. Going to attack and/or counter a rush form opposing Mage is tricky with this book.  I may run bigger creatures or ones that could at least guard appropriately to counter a rush.  It's a little slow but usually having 9+ creatures around turn 4-5 can give the opponent hesitation to jump in at me.  Secondly as an act of defense or security before my beast master gets involved I will throw down animal kinships to get the buffs I need. 

along with having all those creatures with more on the way to insure swarm dominance and longevity with varying animal types i can get one solid strike at the opponent with board control.  I will usually target things that will block or impede me from going after he Mage.

It is a tricky book and starts relatively the same but I try to summon appropriately with the type of Mage I'm playing against. 

So the tournament went really well for this book.  I went 3 and 1 winning the grand prize the PvS set. 

All my opponents played well and provided different problems for me throughout the tournament.  Two matches I like to spot light that put me through the most pressure.  The first was a wizard who ran three gargoyles and the gate of Voltari.  It was really difficult to get a around his guards with intercept.  I was able to suprise him with a teleport/ tanglevine combo and set up a swarm attack that did some serious damage. He was able to reposition and blasted my swarm with an electryfy and chain lightening and my forces were pretty devasted.  That match went to time and I was able to squeak out a win by most health. The one loss was to a swarm build using the pentagram and many academy demons.  It was a really cool book and used the demon familiar that could cast curse spells.  It posed a challenge because his book was indeed faster and he was able to pile the damage on with demons attack adding burn tokens and curses to my beast master.  I was able to kill a few demons to allow me a little more time.  Mid to late game I was able to position my swarm and get some really good damage.  Last turn I pulled out a force hammer to deal enough to bring his warlock down to only 1-2 life.  He pulled out a fireball to do a crazy amount of damage enough to kill my beast master in the quick cast round ending the game.   It was an exciting match that challenged my book to the limits.

Again fun time I am super pumped to play PvS and looking forward to game with these guys again! 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:37:58 AM by farkas1 »