April 26, 2024, 10:52:30 AM

Author Topic: Grapple  (Read 4741 times)

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Grapple
« on: September 02, 2016, 11:21:28 AM »
After reading the codex 3.0 I am really excited about the grapple ability. 

Grapple Is a crazy ability and is really interesting because it makes some traits and spells more effective to counter. 

Teleport already a useful spell and it may draw out one form an opposing Mage or be used yourself  to counter this deadly condition.

Spells like knockdown or most lightning spells that have a chance to stun will be very effective counter to grapplers.

Last but not least creatures with the uncontainable trait will not be able to be grappled which makes them very effective in countering. 

What are other people's thoughts on useful ways to counter grapple or maybe even to make it more effective than it already is?
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Grapple
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 11:30:22 AM »
"It's simple....kill the Batman"

Killing the grappling creature is sometimes a better bet than using a teleport or a knockdown.  Now, it depends on the grappler, for sure.  Just killing the Kraken is not that easy, but Drokkar or the Colossal Crab are quite kill-able.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 02:35:38 PM »
haha yea that does seem like the logical thing to do.  Kill it fast

However most of the grapplers have some solid armor.  So piercing creatures are very effective against them or throw out a piercing strike against them.  I feel piercing strike is going to see alot more use because of the PvS

Also a rouse the beast on a grappler would be pretty nasty.  They can grapple more than one creature!  So why not attack 2-3 a turn.  Rouse the beast wand anyone?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:38:25 PM by farkas1 »

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 02:46:04 PM »
Grapple rules do not allow for more than one grapple at a time.  [mwcard=MW1I23]Rouse the Beast[/mwcard] may only be cast once per round per creature and must be cast on a creature that was summoned this round so you'll only ever get one activation from it on your grappler.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 08:50:09 PM »
Oops yea ur totally right about rouse.  I just read extend and for some reason thought hey worked similarly.  Even if you we're to use extend it would leave the grapple creature stunned and incapacitated. 

However It does say a grappler can grapple mutiple creatures for each attack that has he grapple trait. But don't know for sure if any the  creatures in PvS has a a second grapple attack it sounds like.

Here is the text from he codex below

A creature can be the grappler in several Grapple conditions (it can hold onto multiple preys), as long as it has a separate attack with the Grapple trait for each prey it is holding. In such a case, place all of the prey cards next to the grappler, with a separate Grapple condition on each one.

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 08:57:25 PM »
You're right, but there are no creatures that have more than one Grapple attack....yet.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 09:08:03 PM »
Yea I kinda got that impression.  Unfortunately if the Kracken does not have a second grapple than I don't see why they would add two to another creature.    Thematically the Kracken should be able to do multiple grapples. 

Maybe a new Mage from a future expansion  may have that ability to add additional grapples.  Maybe the alternate force master or Wizard?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:47:01 PM by farkas1 »

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 04:44:12 AM »
Thematically the Kracken should be able to do multiple grapples. 

Not necessarily.  I have two arms, but I can really only do one hug at a time.

I appreciate I can throw an arm around two people, but we all know that's not really a hug :)