March 29, 2024, 06:22:16 AM

Author Topic: Malazan Book of the Fallen  (Read 6588 times)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Malazan Book of the Fallen
« on: September 01, 2016, 11:20:30 AM »
Who else read this magnificent epic series and how do you rank it compared to other series ?

If you could recommend a series to me what would it be ?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Malazan Book of the Fallen
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 07:31:28 AM »
It seems you just Recommend a book for me :)

I just restart my reading of Discworld series so i will definetly look up for your book :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 12:25:44 PM »
Enjoy the series, Boocheck, you can look forward to an incredible reading experience.
Book 1 "Gardens of the moon" is a good introduction to the series,
Book 2 "Deadhouse Gates" and book 3 "Memories of ice" are absolute high points who will leave an impression you will not soon forget ... I'll let you discover the others yourself ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:27:48 PM by Borg »

Squirrelmaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 06:33:00 AM »
Its a great series, struggled to get into it at first, can be a little confusing at times with so much going on. especially when characters have names and nicknames and they get switched around, but definitely recommend it.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Tyrnan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 11:14:50 AM »
Thank's Borg. This sounds interesting, I will have a look at it.

To your question about a recommendation. It's not particularly new but I'm currently enjoying the "Locke Lamorra" Series from Scott Lynch. A thief story in a fantasy setting resembling 18th century and just a little bit of "magic" added. I found it very entertaining to read the various schemes and how they were carried out in the first installment "The Lies of Locke Lamorra". I'm currently in the middle of the second book which sets a different theme (Pirates :D) and which I also find very entertaining. A third novel has already been released.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
OCTGN: Tyrnan (GMT +1)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 07:25:09 AM »
Thanks for your suggestion Tyrnan.
I'm always on the lookout for worthwile reads.
I'll check it out.

The second book of Steven Erikson's "Kharkanas trilogy" was recently released - Fall of Light - so I figured it was about time to start reading part 1 - Forge of Darkness
I've kept FoD in reserve for a couple of years because I prefer to start reading it when the other books are also (at least partially ) out. I hope part 3 is out before I finish the second book.

The Kharkanas Trilogy is actually a prologue to the Malazan Book of the Fallen and I'm loving every word of it.
It's pure enjoyment for me because I meet a lot of people again that I already know from or heard about in MBotF and it explains a whole lot more of the backstory, of what happened before MBotF actually picks up the story.

I can't recommend this series enough.
I realize some may find it overwhelming because of its epic scope and maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea but I like his style and the way he tells the story so much it ranks nr1 for me.

Patrick Roethfuss' Name of the Wind series would be second and Martin's Song of Ice and Fire ( aka A Game of Thrones ) third.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 07:41:18 AM by Borg »