April 29, 2024, 09:02:34 AM

Author Topic: Does a Tsunami attack walls that it passes through as it moves from zone to zone  (Read 22892 times)

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
It seems the creatures that get pushed by a Tsunami attack are attacked by a wall between the zones.

What happens to the wall in a zone border along the Tsunami path? Normally a zone attack does not effect walls in the zone borders. However, this attack has a special effect that moves it between zones.

It seems natural that they would be attacked by a wall of moving water, but the effect does not include this wording about the interaction of a wall with a Tsunami attack.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
This is still a zone attack and doesn't mention anything about breaking the rules for zone attacks in regards to walls. Walls are completely unaffected.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
This is still a zone attack and doesn't mention anything about breaking the rules for zone attacks in regards to walls. Walls are completely unaffected.
Agreed the rules as written leave the wall unaffected.

It is just hard to visualize since a creature that is pushed by a Tsunami is attacked by a wall while the very same wave of water that pushed the creature does not interact with that very same wall. It seems the Tsunami is jumping over the wall. ☺

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile

It is just hard to visualize since a creature that is pushed by a Tsunami is attacked by a wall while the very same wave of water that pushed the creature does not interact with that very same wall. It seems the Tsunami is jumping over the wall. ☺

Flowing over? In fairness, bashing a creature into a wall doesn't hurt the wall either. Walls just seem to be immune to some types of impact. Meanwhile, the water used in the attack could be taking damage but it's just irrelevant.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile

Flowing over? In fairness, bashing a creature into a wall doesn't hurt the wall either. Walls just seem to be immune to some types of impact. Meanwhile, the water used in the attack could be taking damage but it's just irrelevant.

There are goblin builders patrolling the outer perimeters of the arena to protect the outer walls. Otherwise mage duels could spill over into the stands. Just like there are clerics on staff at Mage dueling events to heal the mages between duels. It's one of those international treaty things. Or at least this is my head canon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:40:59 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
I would suppose that the creature could be moving from the effect of the tsunami, whose momentum carries it into the next zone... but the water itself could stop/ebb and not actually impact the wall, thus doing no damage to it.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile

I just need to let go of my structural engineering training. ☺

In my experience the Earthquake spell and Tsunami spell would have similar effects in the arena since that is how the two physically work in our world. Magic is indeed magic in Etheria.

I will imagine the Tsunami is teleported to the next zone rather than flowing to it.

baglio88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Hello everyone, it's nice to finally join the community.
I have a question about tsunami, but didn't want to open a new topic about it. How does it interact with the ring of tides? Does the effect die bonus apply only to a single creature of choice or to all the attacks? The current codex only says that melee/ranged +X is only applied once when making multiple attacks within the same attack action, but doesn't account for the effect die modifiers.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
don't recall if it is a zone attack. I think it is. So, range +x does not add.

baglio88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
don't recall if it is a zone attack. I think it is. So, range +x does not add.

Sure, but I was talking about the effect die modifier. I can imagine it doesn't add as well, but that's just an assumption.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ring of Tides
While you have the Initiative, when this Mage makes a hydro attack, that attack rolls 1 additional attack die and adds +2 to the effect roll.

The cool thing about Ring of Tides is that it's not using any traits what so ever. It's spelling out the effect in very precise wording, similar to how [mwcard=MW1E09]Agony[/mwcard] spells it out rather than using the Melee -2 and Ranged -2 traits. So, just like with Agony affecting all non-spell attacks, by using this exact wording, we know that Ring of Tides affects EVERY hydro attack made by this Mage while you have initiative. This includes ALL of the attacks made by Tsunami. They all get an additional attack die and +2 to the effect roll.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
I am guessing the pushed creature would get attacked again if it was pushed into an empty zone as the Tsunami attacks the current direction in the next zone?.?.?  Devastatingly awesome and scary if it does!!!
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
I am guessing the pushed creature would get attacked again if it was pushed into an empty zone as the Tsunami attacks the current direction in the next zone?.?.?  Devastatingly awesome and scary if it does!!!

Yes, a creature can potentially be attacked multiple times by Tsunami. At most, this could hit the same creature 4 times plus end with a bash attack against the Arena walls.

Note, that you get to choose the direction of the Tsunami but NOT the direction of the Push. Pushes are always directly away from the source of the push (in this case probably the Mage) unless otherwise stated. This can make lining up such devastating Tsunami's tricky to do, and really the only way to do the 4 attacks + bash that I previously mentioned is if your Mage was in the starting zone that you targeted, so you'd take some damage as well.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
I will note every time I try to use Tsunami I've been in the zone....
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
I will note every time I try to use Tsunami I've been in the zone....

Seems like Siren would have Hydro Immunity living underwater and all. ☺