April 18, 2024, 03:20:21 AM

Poll

What was your order of Playing this wonderful game?

started with Academy
2 (50%)
started with Arena then came to Academy
1 (25%)
Started with Academy then moved to Arena
0 (0%)
Play both
1 (25%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: September 21, 2016, 01:58:18 PM

Author Topic: Question to all players of Academy  (Read 5853 times)

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Question to all players of Academy
« on: August 17, 2016, 08:53:18 AM »
How many of you played Arena before Academy, or how many of you have begun the experience with Academy?  Are there any of the second group who now play Arena as well or instead of Academy now?

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Question to all players of Academy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 09:04:25 AM »
You should make this a poll. It will be much easier that way.

Press edit post and the option for a poll is below the text box.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Hardcordo

Re: Question to all players of Academy
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 12:59:32 PM »
I played Arena and I think my heart still lies in arena because of the huge card pool and the depth of play with movement and the arena. I like academy because I can still scratch my mage wars itch but in like 20 minutes and using way less real estate.

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 03:25:19 PM »
How many of you played Arena before Academy, or how many of you have begun the experience with Academy?  Are there any of the second group who now play Arena as well or instead of Academy now?

I played Arena first.

Haven't used Academy cards in Arena yet, but that WILL happen. There are some great cards.

At the moment I play Academy if we want a quick game. Also I can play Academy better with my son (9 yrs).

I don't like that some rules are COMPLETELY different in Academy compared to Arena. For example "melee +x" and Pest vs Guard. That is bound to cause problems in either one of them. And in my view it is unnecessary.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 03:47:04 PM »

I played Arena before Academy. I prefer Arena over Academy- though Academy is still fun. I buy two sets of all things Academy- one to include for Arena and one to keep for Academy use only. I don't get Academy to the table often (because my gaming group would rather play Arena), but the few times I have, it's been to introduce Mage Wars to new players with the intent of graduating them to Arena (assuming they're interested).
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 03:51:45 PM »
played arena first.

I like academy a lot for two reasons:
1) It's shorter for if you don't want to have a very long game
2) If I play it with someone new, it is actually a challenge to win, while they would not stand a chance in Arena.

I don't like that some rules are COMPLETELY different in Academy compared to Arena. For example "melee +x" and Pest vs Guard. That is bound to cause problems in either one of them. And in my view it is unnecessary.

The melee+x rule is for balance and the pest rule is simply a lot better! Should be altered in Arena as well.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 04:04:09 PM »
played arena first.

I like academy a lot for two reasons:
1) It's shorter for if you don't want to have a very long game
2) If I play it with someone new, it is actually a challenge to win, while they would not stand a chance in Arena.

The melee+x rule is for balance and the pest rule is simply a lot better! Should be altered in Arena as well.

I agree about the pest rule. But I also agree with myself =;-)  that this is different and that this difference is not necessary. Like you said, this should change in Arena.

Regarding the melee+x rule. I'm still not 100% what the idea is in Academy. Does this mean you HAVE to use it when you perform your first melee attack? Even if that attack is a counter strike?

If that is the case, I think I would have named the concept differently. Not melee +x but first blow +x for example.

There are bound to be mix ups in either game.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 04:32:06 PM »
yes, you have to.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.