April 19, 2024, 10:31:49 AM

Author Topic: Number of certain kinds of spella  (Read 2825 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Number of certain kinds of spella
« on: July 04, 2016, 09:03:17 AM »
So personally in most books, I like to run at least 3 acid balls, and a 3 dissolves/crumbled and dispels/disperses. I also usually run 1-2 minor heals and 1-2 heals. Is this a good number. What kinds of her on want specific numbers on each?
The Phoenix shall rise.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Number of certain kinds of spella
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 09:34:25 AM »
So personally in most books, I like to run at least 3 acid balls, and a 3 dissolves/crumbled and dispels/disperses. I also usually run 1-2 minor heals and 1-2 heals. Is this a good number. What kinds of her on want specific numbers on each?

Some believe every spell book needs a certain number of each of several staples.  I don't completely subscribe to that.  There are certainly spells that show up in multiples in many, if not most, of my Arena spell books: Dispel, Dissolve, Force Push, Teleport, Tanglevine, Acid Ball, Force Hammer, Brace Yourself, Dragonscale Hauberk, etc.  But I have some spell books with no Acid Balls at all (because armor isn't a concern for some strategies, or I have other ways to deal with armor like Corrosive Orchid or Devouring Jelly or Explode/Dissolve/Dispel for equipment/enchantment-based armor).  Or I find an alternative to a staple card (like a Wizard prefers Teleport to Force Push since they cost the same 2 sbp's and Teleport is generally more versatile).  Or I have Elemental Cloak and Rhinohide instead of Dragonscale Hauberk in case I come up against a Warlock, especially for (Nature) mages who pay triple for Fire.  Also, I rarely use Minor Heal, as I prefer "passive" or multi-use healing if its conducive to my main strategy - e.g. Regrowth (enchantment or Belt) for "keep-away" or Vampirism for "melee-attack" or some combination of Renewing Spring / Raincloud / Group Heal / Group Mend for swarms; also, my Dark Mages tend to avoid Holy healing options.  And I probably don't use Nullify or Jinx or Arcane Ward as much as others around here (but I probably should).

That said, even owning 3x Arena core sets, 2x Academy core sets, 1x each other expansion, and 1x Core Spell Tome 1, I still find that I often run out of:

Equipment
- Dragonscale Hauberk
- Enchanter's Ring
- Eagleclaw Boots
- Leather Chausses
- Regrowth Belt (although Wychwood Ironvine helps share the demand)

Enchantments
- Brace Yourself
- Bear Strength
- Cheetah Speed
- Mongoose Agility
- Wolf Fury
- Rhino Hide
- Hawkeye
- Harmonize
- Enfeeble
- Poisoned Blood
- Ghoul Rot
- Magebane
- Rust
- Badger Frenzy (mainly Domination)
- Panther Stealth (mainly Domination)
- Reverse Attack (but Divine Reversal and other Academy cards might fix this)

Attack Spells
- Acid Ball
- Flameblast
- Fireball
- Hurl Rock
- Hurl Boulder
- Force Hammer

Conjurations
- Tanglevine
- Battle Forge
- Idol of Pestilence
- Hand of Bim-Shalla
- Various walls (Earth, Bones, Thorns, Bloodspine, Flame)

Incantations
- Dissolve
- Dispel
- Teleport
- Force Push
- Force Wave (mainly Domination)
- Defend (only Domination)
- Battle Fury (mainly Domination)
- Whirling Strike (only Domination)
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster