March 28, 2024, 02:49:16 PM

Author Topic: Seeking user content for OCTGN module - Mage reveal text  (Read 12221 times)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Seeking user content for OCTGN module - Mage reveal text
« on: June 17, 2016, 10:50:09 AM »
We have just implemented a flavor text feature that prints a message when a mage enters the arena (i.e. is flipped to be revealed for the first time at the start of the match). What we need from you is content.

Submission guidelines are simple. Just say what the mage is, and then tell us what messages you would like to see displayed. Put an @ before the mage's name and a ">" before each seperate message.

For example:

@Beastmaster
>"I will show you that nature is nothing to be trifled with," he says.
> The sound of howling echoes in his wake.

@Necromancer
>"Death has come for you," he cackles.

When messages are displayed, one message at random will be selected from the list of messages associated with that mage (much like how it works for the death messages). The message will be displayed after a declaration that the mage has entered the arena. For example:

Necromancer enters the Arena! - Channeling is set to 10 and Mana is set to 20 and Life set to 32
"Death has come for you," he cackles.

Please post your submissions below. These will be incorporated into the OCTGN module, so everybody will see your brilliant creations.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking user content for OCTGN module - Mage reveal text
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
Adramelech Warlock enters the Arena! - Channeling is set to 9 and Mana is set to 19 and Life set to 33
"When in doubt... Kill it with fire"

8)
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 11:20:23 AM »
cool! I have been noticing a lot of awesome text with some spells lately. Or when a creature dies.

Johktari: "If you're smart, start running for your life."

Forcemaster: "Let's see if you can hit me"

Forcemaster: "Maybe you should reconsider summoning one of your allies"

male Beastmaster: "I smelled you're stench an hour ago"

Necromancer: "Nothing is more loyal than an undead army without fear"

Necromancer: "I hope you don't mind rotting flesh?"

Necromancer: "No worries. If you prove to be a worthy opponent I might bring you back to serve me."

Priestess: "Aid me in this battle Asyra"

Priestess: "I don't want to hurt you. You can still stop this madness"

Priest: "Another day, another heathen to kill"

Priest: "I'll show you the true strength of the dawnbreaker!"

Priest: "Your idol will not protect you against the power of the light!"

Dwarven warlord: The dwarf seemed a bit drunk and mumbled to himself: "Sigh, why is it always me who has to do the dirty work for King (name of a dwarven king)"

Dwarven warlord: "You know why the dwarfs have wealth? Because no one is able to take it from us"

Dwarven warlord: "I've heard of your peoples weak armor" the dwarf laughed.

Orc warlord: The huge orc inspected his opponent and smiled. "Finally some excitement!"

Orc warlord: "The bloodwave army will take over this land!" His eyes were filled with excitement.

Orc warlord: "A warlock once suggested I should kill with fire. I crushed his head with a stone"

Feel free to leave bad ones out, or edit them.  ::)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »
Honestly? I really think these should be custom to the players, like a forum signature, but for OCTGN, and let people have different ones for different spellbooks. There are many different Beastmasters, Wizards, Priestesses etc in the world of Etheria, just as there are many different doctors, physicists, zoologists, etc in real life, all of them with their own unique personalities and ways of thinking and doing things.

For instance, I have several spellbooks that use cat and mouse tactics, including a Druid a necromancer and a wizard. My Druid literally likes to swing from vines sometimes (snatches herself with her own thornlashers) in order to catch her prey (aggro, the "cat") or escape from predators (control, the "mouse"). (Plants are no more immune to the law of the jungle than animals are). She'd probably make a sound like Tarzan's signature shout: "Aaaaah, ah ih-ah ih aaa--aaah!"

My necromancer would probably say something like: "I am your worst nightmare. You cannot contain me and you cannot escape me."

As for my wizard, his opening message would probably be something like this:

If opponent is an aggressive mage:

The boring old man gave his enemy a bright and cheery smile of childish innocence. "Let's play tag! You're it!"

If opponent is a defensive mage:

The boring old man smiled dangerously at his enemy. "Let's play tag. I'm it."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:44:59 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 01:55:48 PM »
Honestly? I really think these should be custom to the players, like a forum signature, but for OCTGN, and let people have different ones for different spellbooks.

Well, it is certainly possible for individual players to customize their own messages if they are willing to dive into the code a little bit. There is a directory (\GameDatabase\9acef3d0-efa8-4d3f-a10c-54812baecdda\scripts\scriptText) which contains much of the flavor text for the game. If you want to modify it, just find the appropriate text file and  hack away (mage reveal messages will be stored in MageReveal.txt). Just be aware that any game update will overwrite your work, so you may want to make a backup copy.

Edit: I should probably mention that MageReveal.txt will not be present until the next release; this is a feature in development at the moment.

However, I think many people will be content with having a mage-specific randomized message displayed for them, with no further thought on their part. I have added the above proposals now, and look forward to more.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 02:05:36 PM »
cool! I have been noticing a lot of awesome text with some spells lately. Or when a creature dies.

Johktari: "If you're smart, start running for your life."

Forcemaster: "Let's see if you can hit me"

Forcemaster: "Maybe you should reconsider summoning one of your allies"

male Beastmaster: "I smelled you're stench an hour ago"

Necromancer: "Nothing is more loyal than an undead army without fear"

Necromancer: "I hope you don't mind rotting flesh?"

Necromancer: "No worries. If you prove to be a worthy opponent I might bring you back to serve me."

Priestess: "Aid me in this battle Asyra"

Priestess: "I don't want to hurt you. You can still stop this madness"

Priest: "Another day, another heathen to kill"

Priest: "I'll show you the true strength of the dawnbreaker!"

Priest: "Your idol will not protect you against the power of the light!"

Dwarven warlord: The dwarf seemed a bit drunk and mumbled to himself: "Sigh, why is it always me who has to do the dirty work for King (name of a dwarven king)"

Dwarven warlord: "You know why the dwarfs have wealth? Because no one is able to take it from us"

Dwarven warlord: "I've heard of your peoples weak armor" the dwarf laughed.

Orc warlord: The huge orc inspected his opponent and smiled. "Finally some excitement!"

Orc warlord: "The bloodwave army will take over this land!" His eyes were filled with excitement.

Orc warlord: "A warlock once suggested I should kill with fire. I crushed his head with a stone"

Feel free to leave bad ones out, or edit them.  ::)

Bloodwave isn't a single nation. They are a horde of competing tribes, with separate armies.
Priest is of Malakai not the Dawnbreaker. And Malakai is a servant of Asyra. Just thought I ought to point that out. ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 02:19:59 PM »
Bloodwave isn't a single nation. They are a horde of competing tribes, with separate armies.

Wasn't there lore about an orc that united the tribes?

Priest is of Malakai not the Dawnbreaker. And Malakai is a servant of Asyra.

Small error with that dawnbreaker. I thought Malakai was like the lesser God between Asyra and him, but he plans on overtrowing her someday? With all the hints that he thinks she is weak and he would do a better job.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 07:06:02 PM »
Hey. Did this project die out?

I hope not, it's a really cool idea. I went to look for the text file to add my own introductions, but it's not in script folder at least.
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

KosmosAlive

• Mage Wars Enthusiast
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The universe abounds with life, without a doubt.
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Zea - Project Website (Under Construction)
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:56:21 PM »
Here are my suggestions:

@Forcemaster
> “Ready or not, here I come!”

@Druid
> “Enjoy the sun’s rays while you still can.”
> “Soon your aberrant form will compost into new life.”

@Siren
> “Come closer, and meet your doom.”
> “The sea will quench your thirst for death.”
> “Hark? Can you hear? The ocean has come for a reckoning.”