April 25, 2024, 01:21:37 AM

Author Topic: 3 Mage Challenge Tournaments.  (Read 4518 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
3 Mage Challenge Tournaments.
« on: May 27, 2016, 01:03:51 AM »
Last night I competed in a 3 Mage Challenge Tournament here in Charlotte. I highly recommend it to folks trying to spice up the local scene. Here's how it works:

Make 3 spell books using 3 different mages(and no different types of Wizards don't count) and try to make them as different as possible. At the beginning of the event list your three mages in the order you're going to play them. That way nobody can pick who they run based on their opponent. For example I ran: Necromancer, Priest, Anvil Throne Warlord. My pairings were: Druid, Wizard, Priestess.

It's pretty simple really but you get a real benefit in that you're forced to play outside your comfort zone some against matches you wouldn't normally get.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Mage Challenge Tournaments.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 09:24:53 PM »
How do you define making books "as different as possible"? Are you saying that one has to be very aggressive, another very defensive, and the third somewhere in between? Or that one has to have many creatures, another none, and the third something in between? How do you even enforce this?

What if the player brings three different Mages where the books all are aggressive buddy builds? It sounds as if that is not allowed. Who decides whether the three are different enough from each other?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Mage Challenge Tournaments.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 10:07:52 PM »
Different schools really was my thought on it. Also the make them as differently as possible part was a suggestion and not an actual rule we implemented. I went with Dark, Holy, and War. I did a Skeleton Necromancer, a battle Priest with lots of help, and a Super Dwarf with only two other creatures for example. It was a friendly tournament at a local comic book store, not a major event at a large convention. Prize was store credit and an ice cream.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.