July 02, 2024, 02:11:29 AM

Author Topic: New to the game!  (Read 3006 times)

MadKnight

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
New to the game!
« on: May 18, 2016, 12:38:37 PM »
Hey everyone my name is Dashie. My wife and myself are new to the game and have played a few apprentice games and we are looking into starting to build our own books. We only have the core set so I was wandering what our next few purchases should be. What expansions should we grab and should we be buying the spell compendium or whatever they are called? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: New to the game!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 01:46:47 PM »
Hey everyone my name is Dashie. My wife and myself are new to the game and have played a few apprentice games and we are looking into starting to build our own books. We only have the core set so I was wandering what our next few purchases should be. What expansions should we grab and should we be buying the spell compendium or whatever they are called? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

I'd probably start with Druid vs Necromancer, and if funds allow, Conquest of Kumanjaro.  The former adds 2 new mages that are fun and strong right out of the box, and the latter provides lots of new spells that benefit the core set mages (along with alternate versions of the Beastmaster and Priest).

Once you've had fun with that for a while and find you thirst for even more, I'd grab Forcemaster vs Warlord and Forged in Fire.  Forcemaster feels quite a bit different than most other mages, and is probably my favourite mage overall.  The Warlord makes the game feel more like a real-time strategy video game (e.g. like Warcraft), but he needs some cards from Forged in Fire to really bring him closer to the power level of the other mages.  Oh, and Forged in Fire also gives you an alternate Warlock and some new toys for your Dark school mages, which are always welcome.

P.S.  If you find you never seem to have enough copies of core set spells and aren't interested in proxying them, I'd recommend another copy of the core set over either Core Spell Tome 1 or 2; more bang for your buck.  And I'd highly recommend Battlegrounds Domination if you plan on playing with 3+ players, but if it's just you and your wife, then I'd prioritize the "X vs Y" and other expansions over Domination.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:49:25 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

zolikk

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 01:47:36 PM »
In my opinion any of the new mage addition expansions is what I would recommend first. FvW or DvN. I think they add the most to the game as single expansions go. Especially FvW that is a solid addition to multiple schools (force mind, war, earth) and spices things up very well for the base set.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »
iNano78 is spot on.  +1 for those recommendations.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 12:04:34 AM »
I always suggest new players buy Conquest of Kumanjaroo first. It greatly benefits three of the core set mages and gives good alternate mages to try out for Beast Master and Priestess. It is in my opinion the single best expansion for the money in Mage Wars. After that Druid vs Necromancer. Those three will give you a solid start. If you want to get Force Master VS Warlord with the intent of playing Warlord then plan on getting Forged in Fire as well. Lastly the Academy that's out and the two coming in about a month or so should not be discounted. All of those cards can be used in Mage Wars proper.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 12:42:31 PM »
It really depends on how you want to play. Block formats are a good guide for what sets to get and in what order.

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15270

Another way to do it would be to find out what each of your top two favorite mages are, practice making and playing custom spellbooks on OCTGN, and then buying expansions that had the cards needed for your strategies. Your training of your favorite mages is also a good hint to what kinds of sets you should get.

These two purchasing strategies are good for both casual play and competitive play and allow you the option of switching between them more easily as well as for playing with even more people if you so choose.

I hope that helps. If you are worried about the monetary costs and getting the most bang for your buck, I recommend checking out the Frugal Mage Warrior's Library
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 02:51:23 PM »

Miniature Market has everything so cheap that after I started playing a few months ago, I just wound up buying a second core set and one of all expansions within a matter of a few weeks. I also bought two of the Academy sets with one to keep together for play and the second set to include with Arena (if you play with any regularity, the investment for everything is 100% worth it IMO).

Druid vs. Necro is my favorite expansion (coming from a newbie perspective). But then my buddy is having a lot of trouble finding one for a reasonable price since it seems like that set is out of print for the time being.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

MadKnight

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 06:18:23 PM »
Thank you everyone! My two favorite casters are curse warlock and beastmaster so far. My wife is still trying to find one that she really likes. I picked up forged in fire and battle for killumanjaro. So i should be set for a little while. Thanks again everyone!