April 28, 2024, 03:24:43 PM

Author Topic: Raincloud and druid vs. Warlock  (Read 6213 times)

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Raincloud and druid vs. Warlock
« on: May 15, 2016, 10:13:53 PM »
Two questions:

1) I've seen a couple druid decks with Raincloud. To what purpose does this serve as most vine creatures have Regen. Is raincloud in this instance worth the condition removal? Just curious if I'm missing something.

2) I've had great luck with the druid thus far but haven't gone against a warlock yet. My buddy indicated he's in process of building a warlock book. Don't want to turn down a challenge. Any advice on a an anti-warlock druid build to offset the fire weakness?

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Raincloud and druid vs. Warlock
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 04:09:12 AM »
1) condition removal as free action is strong also the minus traits help

2) take a grizzly or other nature animals, elemental cloak

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 08:57:43 AM »
Any advice on a an anti-warlock druid build to offset the fire weakness?
Keep the Raincloud....maybe add one more.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:36:18 AM »
Two questions:

1) I've seen a couple druid decks with Raincloud. To what purpose does this serve as most vine creatures have Regen. Is raincloud in this instance worth the condition removal? Just curious if I'm missing something.

2) I've had great luck with the druid thus far but haven't gone against a warlock yet. My buddy indicated he's in process of building a warlock book. Don't want to turn down a challenge. Any advice on a an anti-warlock druid build to offset the fire weakness?

Regen is good for damage yes, but you also should have something to remove burns against a Warlock. I'd suggest a Geyser (or two as Druid) in addition to a Raincloud. The Raincloud also is good against Acid and Corrodes, which seems to be a staple of many builds that you might face.

The Warlock probably will be throwing Fireballs are your bonded tree, so you want to try to keep him far enough away from it, at least as much as you can with Vines and Tanglevines, and the Stuck condition from the Staff. Walls that block sight also should be helpful. You can deploy either a Tanglevine or a Wall of Thorns from a Vine Tree, which is very helpful.

You probably want to give him something else to deal with instead of playing completely defensively over the tree also... I really like Cervere with Lion Savagery, for example, to give a Mage something to think about. If you Tanglevine or get Stuck conditions on the Warlock, then Vine Snappers can be good. Thornlashers also can sometimes help with positioning.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:15:00 PM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 09:55:27 AM »
You can't deploy Wall of Thorns with Vine Tree (but with Seedling Pod You can).
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 10:23:42 AM »
You can't deploy Wall of Thorns with Vine Tree (but with Seedling Pod You can).

Oh, sorry! Not a Vine spell.

Thanks for the catch.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 10:33:15 AM »
Great help- Thanks, guys!
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »
Keep in mind that if he tries to burn down your tree it will likely get telegraphed early. There are ways to protect it, but every mage but the warlord has to actually damage it to kill it n that means he is likely to believe that 16 mana and 2 actions is going to be worth the investment. He's wrong. Use that to your advantage, he has to get within 3 (with dragons breath or hurl meteorite, and he only gets one of those a turn) most likely 2 to throw his fiery balls of death and your home zone is a tough place to get to after a few vines show up. Early tanglevine can gain you an action or two to get ahead, or at least force a teleport or a lash of hellfire (can't use ranged attacks so no fireballs or blasts).
Also all lvl one water spells are amazing and worth book space for you. I prefer to put out burns with surging wave, and the extinguish trait is pretty awesome and it works at range 2 (-1 die and -1 to the effect die for each burn token removed from the target, with leviathan scale you won't even scratch your mage and any plants you use are hydro immune anyway).
If he tries to bring down your tree, make him pay for it.
I love this game. Its awesome!

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 06:54:41 AM »
Consider using [mwcard=MWSTX2FFW01]Wall of Earth[/mwcard].
Keep in mind that if he tries to burn down your tree it will likely get telegraphed early. There are ways to protect it, but every mage but the warlord has to actually damage it to kill it n that means he is likely to believe that 16 mana and 2 actions is going to be worth the investment. He's wrong. Use that to your advantage, he has to get within 3 (with dragons breath or hurl meteorite, and he only gets one of those a turn) most likely 2 to throw his fiery balls of death and your home zone is a tough place to get to after a few vines show up. Early tanglevine can gain you an action or two to get ahead, or at least force a teleport or a lash of hellfire (can't use ranged attacks so no fireballs or blasts).

If he tries to bring down your tree, make him pay for it.
Single [mwcard=MW1A04]Fireball[/mwcard] can take down [mwcard=DRUIDABILITYOUTLINE]Treebonded[/mwcard] [mwcard=DNJ12]Vine Tree[/mwcard]. Even without telegraphing it the Warlock can get into range 2 in second round:
Round 1: crystal, move + Forge
Round 2: double move + fireball
If he's lucky then You're without the tree.

What You need to do is to prevent him getting into range or from targeting the tree. Even after running to NC after dropping the Tree You will not be able to hinder the Warlock with vines only. You may want to cast [mwcard=MWSTX2FFW01]Wall of Earth[/mwcard] in such place that he either has to take down it, or step into vines, or go around. I prefer Wall of Earth over Tanglevine for few reasons. It's more permanent against Warlock (and if it's female Warlock that runs only demons without non-flame attacks (like [mwcard=MW1C01]Adramelech[/mwcard]) then You may trap her for good). You need to be in NC before the Warlock can act in round 2 to cast Tanglevine on him (but even then You may not be able to do so if he gets obscured somehow), there's no such need with the wall if You're willing to spend more mana.
More aggressive opening for Warlock could be:
Round 1: Hawkeye/Fireshaper Ring, move + Cheetah's Speed
Round 2: double move + either 2x fireball or Akiro's Favor + Fireball
It's telegraphed for sure, but if You won't be in NC to tanglevine him before he can act in second round then he will be able to pull it off. With the wall You may either run to NC in first round, spread vines to FC and cast wall in second round, or stay where You want and cast extended wall.
Wall may also prevent the Warlock from teleporting himself in attack range.

Other option include casting [mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ06]Rolling Fog[/mwcard] or summoning a creature that can intercept attacks. This should give You enough time to setup Wall of Thorns and push him trough it once or twice.

Let's not forget that not all Warlocks are pyromaniacs and they have access to most of the nasty tricks a Necromancer can use. Dropping both [mwcard=MW1J11]Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1J19]Deathlock[/mwcard] after summoning [mwcard=DNC22]Zombie Brute[/mwcard] or two is possible for Warlock.
Cervere or Galador with Lion Savagery/Bear Strength are good options to deal with such threat, but have some seeking dispels prepared to destroy [mwcard=DNE02]Rise Again[/mwcard] or You will have to deal with zombie animals.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)