March 19, 2024, 03:30:58 AM

Author Topic: Let's talk Multiplayer Domination  (Read 49535 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Let's talk Multiplayer Domination
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2018, 09:24:33 AM »
So ends another year of 3-way Domination matches. And after 38 matches, we're growing a little bit bored of the few 3-way maps included in the rule book, along with the handful of maps and custom scenarios we've been able to come up with. One driver for our lack of creativity is related to the challenges of making "fair" 3-way maps from 4-sided tiles. There really aren't many options of having mages start at range 3-4 from each other and equidistant from orbs when using squares. Starting in 2019, we'll be dabbling with hexagonal Domination tiles. Paper prototypes below (please excuse the terrible initial attempt at colour matching; these are just a mock-up).

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 09:27:05 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2018, 09:25:32 AM »
And other attachment ('cause file size limitation per post).

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 09:27:22 AM by iNano78 »

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2018, 12:05:34 PM »
Interesting.

Let us know how this works out for your group.

I've been considering a 4-player domination style format for tournament play but haven't had time to put it down on paper yet. This allows more players to interact in each game without too much more table space.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2018, 06:06:22 PM »
Interesting.

Let us know how this works out for your group.

I've been considering a 4-player domination style format for tournament play but haven't had time to put it down on paper yet. This allows more players to interact in each game without too much more table space.
The downside of 4 player Domination, whether in teams or free-for-all, is that it takes so long. When we have 4, we’d always prefer two parallel 1-on1 Arena death matches, likely followed by a “winners” match and a “losers” match, rather than one loooonngg 4-player game. But ymmv.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2018, 11:27:46 AM »
I am imagining a 2-3 hour maximum for each match. Say 5 V'Tar points to end it. Each V'Tar point earned by a player in each match would be converted to Tournament Points with additional Tournament Points added for killing an opponent mage. This would allow players to try a mix of strategies during the tournament.

After X number of rounds the tournament points are totaled and ranked to determine the top 6 players and prizes awarded based on that ranking.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2018, 03:55:29 PM »
I am imagining a 2-3 hour maximum for each match. Say 5 V'Tar points to end it. Each V'Tar point earned by a player in each match would be converted to Tournament Points with additional Tournament Points added for killing an opponent mage. This would allow players to try a mix of strategies during the tournament.

After X number of rounds the tournament points are totaled and ranked to determine the top 6 players and prizes awarded based on that ranking.

5 points only?

The game will be over in 5 turns. I don't think you'll need 3 hours.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2018, 08:35:21 PM »

5 points only?

The game will be over in 5 turns. I don't think you'll need 3 hours.
I wasn't planning to leave the orbs without a guardian or two.

Also, the arena layout may include some distance between starting mages and the orb locations.

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2018, 08:15:27 PM »
It is easy enough to get a guarded orb on T2 even if it is two zones away, and build a quick offensive straight away to take a second orb on T4.

Vtar of 0+1+1+2+2. Five turns. (And that is assuming Galaxxus is not in play)

In a three or four player game nobody will be willing to take the momentum hit necessary to slow down one player, knowing a third player will come through the middle. Everyone will charge straight for the orb rush.

I think, from having played 3 player domination a lot, you need a win condition of at least 8 points to ensure the mages get mixed up with each other.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 08:38:34 PM by Arkdeniz »
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2018, 10:31:48 PM »
Your point about higher V'tar points might work best. I've also considered two standard guardians in each orb zone or map configurations which place the same orb equidistant from multiple mages at the start. There are several variables to consider that could make this interesting.

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2018, 12:22:59 AM »
Two Sslaks or an Usslak would certainly slow the players down.

I have seen equidistant orbs work well in bringing on mage conflict, but I have also seen games where two mages have long standoffs over a zone, with neither player wanting to move first.

As you say, lots of variables are in play, but the longer a game goes, the more player interaction will be forthcoming.

Anyway, great to see some action on the Domnation front - it is an underused style of the game.