April 30, 2024, 11:48:09 AM

Author Topic: Second chance uses.  (Read 7419 times)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Second chance uses.
« on: April 22, 2016, 03:12:22 PM »
I think second chance is going to be a huge card in arena, but personally i don't see the most use for holy mages. Imo this is going to be the new thoughtspore enchantment.  Think about it, you can summon a thoughtspore early, knowing its likely going to die and then when it does you get to resummon it on the spot AND change the spell! Sounds like awin win for me.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Second chance uses.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 04:02:42 PM »
Brilliant!

On the one hand  (pro), your opponent might mistake the facedown Enchanment for a Reverse Attack and delay attacking it before wasting a precious Unavoidable attack (e.g. Flameblast).  On the other hand (con), your opponent might mistake the facedown Enchantment for a Reverse Attack or Brace Yourself and Seeking Dispel it instead... so you probably need 2 (or more) copies if you want to pull off this trick with any regularity.

My Thoughtspore Forcemaster will definitely give it a try!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 04:08:15 PM »
It will be even better in Academy. This card, I suspect, will singlehandedly remove the initiative imbalance.

Being able to trade a quick action for a full action as an enchantment would be amazing since it is a way to interrupt strings of consecutive quick cast-action-action-quick cast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

rant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • p00pstar on Octgn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 04:37:01 PM »
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 05:03:13 PM »
I guess my question for non-holy mages is, would be is it worth the 4 spellbound points to save the action instead of just carrying 2 or 4 extra versions of the minor creature.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 07:09:16 PM »
It's only worth it because it saved the action. When you cast a thought spore you can't move cuz is a full action, but flipping an enchant and getting a full creature action that resluts in a fresh thoughtspore with a brand new spellbound spell, likely a much more useful one. And forcemasters usualy have mana to spare anyway past round 3 so hell yes i would use the 4sp is worth. Probably twice, plus with an arcane ward on it its practically not worth the 2 actions it takes to dispel it. Personally this card might make me pay a FM. gotta give it a try at least
I love this game. Its awesome!

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 07:53:53 PM »
It also has the benefit of summoning the creature to the zone it died in, rather than the zone youre standing in at the time, so hes already in thick of it.  With Alter of the Iron Guard, the creature even comes back with a Guard Marker which can be useful in some situations.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 06:15:10 AM »
With Alter of the Iron Guard, the creature even comes back with a Guard Marker which can be useful in some situations.
Will Academy Beastmaster be able to use his ability if Second Chance was attached to a level 1 animal?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 06:36:53 AM »
Seems nice to be able to bank a summon action and switch a quick cast second chance for a full round summon.

A serious drawback is that you'll have to save the creatures casting cost each round its it danger, or risk losing the spell and the creature.
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 10:14:06 AM »
With Alter of the Iron Guard, the creature even comes back with a Guard Marker which can be useful in some situations.
Will Academy Beastmaster be able to use his ability if Second Chance was attached to a level 1 animal?

Looks like he will. I don't see anything that says otherwise.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 01:00:13 PM »
I think second chance is going to be a huge card in arena, but personally i don't see the most use for holy mages. Imo this is going to be the new thoughtspore enchantment.  Think about it, you can summon a thoughtspore early, knowing its likely going to die and then when it does you get to resummon it on the spot AND change the spell! Sounds like awin win for me.

There certainly is potential but

An issue I see here is that it will cost the FM 4 SBP's to (possibly) use this trick, he can add two Thoughtspores for that amount of sbp's.

Another potential problem : the FM usually has mana to spare later in the game but early on you may not have the 8 mana available to revive him and keeping 8 mana to the side early on may hurt your build-up.

Another card though that's been wanting to get into my FM book to help the TS ( but hasn't succeeded yet ) is Divine Reversal. At 2 sbp's this is much more affordable and in a way more effective than a Block ( Unavoidable weakness ) or Brace Yourself ( critical damage weakness ).

Since it prevents the first two damage you must already deal 9 damage to the TS to take it out with 1 hit.
Since it heals another two after the attack this card can effectively neutralize 4 damage, normal and/or critical damage doesn't matter nor unavoidable or not.

As an example, let's say an opponent makes a super roll of 7 critical damage with an unavoidable attack :
Block fails and your TS is dead
Brace yourself fails with the same dead TS result.
Divine Reversal prevents the first 2 damage, then takes 5 damage and heals another 2 of them for a net result of 3 damage and 4 life left. Not bad hey after such a magic roll :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 01:03:51 PM by Borg »

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 01:15:34 PM »

There certainly is potential but

An issue I see here is that it will cost the FM 4 SBP's to (possibly) use this trick, he can add two Thoughtspores for that amount of sbp's.

Another potential problem : the FM usually has mana to spare later in the game but early on you may not have the 8 mana available to revive him and keeping 8 mana to the side early on may hurt your build-up.

Another card though that's been wanting to get into my FM book to help the TS ( but hasn't succeeded yet ) is Divine Reversal. At 2 sbp's this is much more affordable and in a way more effective than a Block ( Unavoidable weakness ) or Brace Yourself ( critical damage weakness ).

Since it prevents the first two damage you must already deal 9 damage to the TS to take it out with 1 hit.
Since it heals another two after the attack this card can effectively neutralize 4 damage, normal and/or critical damage doesn't matter nor unavoidable or not.

As an example, let's say an opponent makes a super roll of 7 critical damage with an unavoidable attack :
Block fails and your TS is dead
Brace yourself fails with the same dead TS result.
Divine Reversal prevents the first 2 damage, then takes 5 damage and heals another 2 of them for a net result of 3 damage and 4 life left. Not bad hey after such a magic roll :)

A mix of Redirect and Divine Reversal is solid for protecting your Thoughtspore, and is especially fun if you can draw out your opponent's Unavoidable attacks when you have Divine Reversal on it only to trick them into a non-unavoidable ("avoidable") attack when you have Redirect on it.  That said, Brace Yourself is still a good backup so you can handle 2+ attacks in a single round when needed.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 01:20:44 PM »
That said, Brace Yourself is still a good backup so you can handle 2+ attacks in a single round when needed.

My thought exactly, since Brace Yourself is a non-mandatory reveal, the combination of BY + DR on a Spore could be pretty efficient, though somewhat of an investment.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 01:35:45 PM »

The real benefit of Second Chance which may be worth the extra two sbps is that you can recast your Thoughtspore for one quick action that you've already used on a previous turn.

I completely agree about Divine Reversal as well.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 01:40:49 PM »
The real benefit of Second Chance which may be worth the extra two sbps is that you can recast your Thoughtspore for one quick action that you've already used on a previous turn.

It's actually a FREE action, :) provided you have the mana to pay for it.

I agree, that effect may be worth the two extra sbp's, I'm just worried I might not have that mana available when I need it.