April 29, 2024, 01:53:20 AM

Author Topic: If you remade Mage Wars, what might you change?  (Read 30908 times)

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Re: If you remade Mage Wars, what might you change?
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2016, 07:12:39 AM »
People realise that gate to hell was only one example of many crds which either require more stats or less cost. All the big angels fall under this category imo as well. They are far to weak for their mana cost and he inly big creature that warrants its casting cost is Adramelech Lord of Fire.
right!
these angels are made of paper!

Have you tried Crown of Protection with them? A nice combo to buff holy creatures for half the mana cost of an enchantment.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2016, 09:55:36 AM »
I haven't found the Angels to be made of paper myself, the main thing is you can't run a Angels books (Guardian being the exception) as they don't hinder ground pounders unless on guard, which then they loose flying which is one of there strengths.....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2016, 06:30:10 PM »
I haven't found the Angels to be made of paper myself, the main thing is you can't run a Angels books (Guardian being the exception) as they don't hinder ground pounders unless on guard, which then they loose flying which is one of there strengths.....

Just wait for the Victorian Griffin. That should help the holy school with their flight inspired strategies.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2016, 11:21:45 PM »

Just wait for the Victorian Griffin. That should help the holy school with their flight inspired strategies.
that's good news!

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2016, 05:56:33 AM »
If I remade Mage Wars, I would not have added the Dissipate trait to Enchantments, but kept it limited to conjurations. I liked the simplicity of Instant vs. Persistent effects comparing an enchantment to an incantation. Now that we have enchantments with Dissipate 1 it reduces the value of similar Incantations.

If I wanted to expand the magic system to include duration based spells I might have added a new spell type like Hexes that included a new icon for duration and placed it where life is shown for creatures/conjurations.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2016, 11:15:50 AM »
Except even enchantments with dissipate 1 are cast face down. The enchantment does not begin to dissipate until it is revealed. Incantations still can't do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2016, 11:30:38 AM »
Mandatory reveals. I'm not sure how I'd balance it but I'd like to option to choose when to use a Block or Reverse Magic, etc.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »
I think I would have made the game better transportable. Or added a travel version (did this on my own now). Use small dice for damage, cards instead of condition markers and a tiled board like in battleground.
If staying with markers, I would make front and back always the same... It's annoying to search as it is and it is not sortable.
Also I am not interested at all in the world of etheria. Instead of thinking about names of gods and how orbd function I would concentrate energy on balanced mechanics and up-to-date apps, fixed release- and promo timeline and so on.

In the game itself I would try to keep descriptions and conditions simpler. Texts like “if target creature is minor reduce cost by one“ are too long and unnecessary slow to use.

And I would focus on 1 game. That is arena (no battleground, no academy). I would try to get the beginner version (apprentice mode) more popular and also played in tournaments by pros. I would also try to get 2v2 and maybe other goals working smooth in arena.

In arena O would not change much. It is simply said a great game. Just tower (zone exclusive, spellbind + pay to change) and maybe wizard itself (pay triple for something) need errata :)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2016, 02:49:28 PM »
And I would focus on 1 game. That is arena (no battleground, no academy). I would try to get the beginner version (apprentice mode) more popular and also played in tournaments by pros. I would also try to get 2v2 and maybe other goals working smooth in arena.

Or just Domination (rather than Arena), as originally envisioned.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster