April 28, 2024, 05:08:03 PM

Author Topic: Zone attacks unavoidable academy  (Read 4470 times)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Zone attacks unavoidable academy
« on: March 31, 2016, 02:21:35 AM »
I cannot find the rule clarifying that a zone attack is always unavoidable in the academy rulebook. Voltaic discharge is also the only zone attack where this rule is not explicitly mentioned on the card.

Does this mean that voltaic discharge is not unavoidable in Academy but it is in Arena?

ps: It might be handy to split this section of the forum into academy and non-academy to keep everything structured.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Zone attacks unavoidable academy
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »
Zone attacks are always meant to be Unavoidable.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 09:56:31 AM »
Makes sense! Thank you.

kniknax

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »
ps: It might be handy to split this section of the forum into academy and non-academy to keep everything structured.

I second this :)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 03:01:27 PM »
I've asked for Domination to have its own section as well... but I don't think anyone cares.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 07:06:26 PM »
At least domination is fully compatible with Arena. You can use all the cards and special tiles from it in Arena, and you can use everything from Arena in Domination. Heck, you could even use the V'Tar orbs in Arena without them being a win condition. It would however benefit from it's own forum section because the strategies used in both playing and building your spellbook are very different.

Academy is a totally different game with some major differences in rules and is not compatible with anything from the Arena sets (barring house rules). It 100% needs it's own forum sections.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 08:14:31 PM »
At least domination is fully compatible with Arena. You can use all the cards and special tiles from it in Arena, and you can use everything from Arena in Domination. Heck, you could even use the V'Tar orbs in Arena without them being a win condition. It would however benefit from it's own forum section because the strategies used in both playing and building your spellbook are very different.

Academy is a totally different game with some major differences in rules and is not compatible with anything from the Arena sets (barring house rules). It 100% needs it's own forum sections.

Academy is too different from Arena to count as an alternate variant, but it's not different enough to quite count as a completely different game.

Personally I think it would make more sense to divide the Mage Wars section of the forums into Arena and Academy, then have a sub-forum for each battlegrounds set under Arena. Remember that Domination isn't going to be the only battlegrounds set. There will presumably be more in the future, such as Archmage.

Well, it would make more sense if Academy's playerbase wasn't almost nonexistent. If Academy had an entire section of the forums devoted to it I'm guessing barely anyone would read it most of the time.

I wonder if there will ever be battlegrounds sets specifically for Academy. It would be cool to have some official Academy variants.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 11:45:57 PM »
if we think to write a "ARENA" or "ACADEMY" or "DOMINTATION" at the begining of the topic's tittle, wouldn't it be enough?
(is it possible to have a window letting us chose when we pen a new topic?)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 11:51:42 PM »
if we think to write a "ARENA" or "ACADEMY" or "DOMINTATION" at the begining of the topic's tittle, wouldn't it be enough?
(is it possible to have a window letting us chose when we pen a new topic?)

+1

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 04:12:09 AM »
It would be enough for the current discussion but not if you want to search something on the forum. You would get all the results from both games making it a mess to find your particular question.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »
It would be enough for the current discussion but not if you want to search something on the forum. You would get all the results from both games making it a mess to find your particular question.

I'm not much for making excuses, so suffice to say I'll work on this when I can. I agree that having an Academy section to land new players in, will be a good thing. You may not see anything, but feel free to ask me about my progress at the end of the week. Hopefully you'll see something before then.