April 28, 2024, 08:52:53 AM

Author Topic: Mashing Arena and Academy  (Read 4437 times)

TeenageWargamer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mashing Arena and Academy
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:45:42 PM »
So today I saw some people playing a pick-up game of Magic at my FLGS, and it made me remember Mage Wars yet again.  I believe that Mage Wars is superior to Magic in almost every way, but it takes far too much time for most people to play initially.  Now, I haven't played for almost a year, and do not have Necro V. Druid, Academy, or Battlegrounds (and won't be buying them in the near future due to a lack of funds).  However, I saw the academy rulebook online and gave it a read through.  I like the idea, but I wondered about something.  Could we mash the two play modes together into something even better?  I am thinking about using the original Mage cards with the spellbook values halved to 60 spell points, and the play area would be set up like Academy except their would be two zones, one for your opponent and one for you.  Melee creatures would have to move into your opponents zone one turn and then attack the next (so only one action allowed except for mages), while ranged attacks could target enemy provided no walls (which can be placed between the zones) are blocking LOS.  Fast would allow you to move into a zone AND attack in one turn, other traits still work as normal.  Conjurations lose their limit of one per zone, any number are allowed and all limitations listed on the card are ignored.  Mana is determined by Arena rules, and everything else stays the same (attack wise and phase wise the two games appear near identical).  What do you all think?  Anything I should tweak, and is it worth playtesting?

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Mashing Arena and Academy
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 09:18:22 PM »
I don't think I'm overstepping any playtester bounds here...at one point Academy was planned to have 3 zones.  Turns out moving was the worst action you could take.   Strategies were "Stand there and guard" or "Pepper with ranged".   Pepper with ranged being preferred.  I'm not going to tell you 'no', but Academy was supposed to have some rudimentary movement in it and it was cut in favor of an actually fun game.

Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer Arena and all of the tactical movement that said Arena allows, but I think that Academy is where it is due to extensive testing and not whimsically.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:44:57 AM »
I once made a customizable version of apprentice mode called Journeyman mode:

Mage Wars Arena: Journeyman Mode
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15776

It might need its own Mage ability cards though. Haven't tested it enough to be certain.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

TeenageWargamer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 11:48:19 AM »
One of the biggest things I want to do is free the game from the board, which is lovely but a royal pain to carry around while retaining movement.  I wasn't aware that Academy was playtested with zones, thank you for the insight.  I like the idea of Academy but I feel that it makes ranged attacks completely redundant.  Sailor Vulcan, I like your modifications except for the 2x3 board, I really want to eliminate that altogether.  Will work on this some more, let me get a game or two in and see how things work out.  Also, if Academy had three zones how would that work?  Was their some type of middle zone between you and your opponent?

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 02:54:24 PM »
One of the biggest things I want to do is free the game from the board, which is lovely but a royal pain to carry around while retaining movement.  I wasn't aware that Academy was playtested with zones, thank you for the insight.  I like the idea of Academy but I feel that it makes ranged attacks completely redundant.  Sailor Vulcan, I like your modifications except for the 2x3 board, I really want to eliminate that altogether.  Will work on this some more, let me get a game or two in and see how things work out.  Also, if Academy had three zones how would that work?  Was their some type of middle zone between you and your opponent?
Ranged attacks aren't completely redundant in Academy. Just think about how they interact with guards.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 05:50:29 PM »
I prefer Arena a lot over Academy or Battleground or boardless deckbuilding games in general. The standard arena has a perfect balance of strategic movement and deck development. Also I like it having a controllable cardlimit as living card game.

The one thing that could be better is its portability. I would not try to change rules for that. It would cause too many troubles concerning balancing and game play.
That is why I got rid of all spellbooks and a lot of markers to get it all small. I got inspired by ACGs (I think it was) portability project in this forum.v you should try this out!

The last thing missing is the board itself. While indoors you can take everything that creates simple lines to create a board, outdoors you need a board. I'm playing around with ideas for a use in a park :D.

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 02:16:01 AM »
I don't think I'm overstepping any playtester bounds here...at one point Academy was planned to have 3 zones.  Turns out moving was the worst action you could take.   Strategies were "Stand there and guard" or "Pepper with ranged".   Pepper with ranged being preferred.  I'm not going to tell you 'no', but Academy was supposed to have some rudimentary movement in it and it was cut in favor of an actually fun game.
That's an interesting bit of information. Thanks for that! It won't make me like Academy any better, but at least it gives some clue how the game became what it is.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 04:15:10 AM »
Ive used a set of 10cm x 10 cm cards as a portable board, just lay them out... then I got Domination and it was like boom.  They're still big and I worry about damaging them, but they're a lot more portable than the original board, even the roll up version.