April 28, 2024, 03:07:13 AM

Author Topic: The MW Arena to Academy Conversion Project  (Read 5644 times)

Ganpot

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
The MW Arena to Academy Conversion Project
« on: February 14, 2016, 06:32:42 PM »
I've actually been meaning to write this up for awhile, but never found the time.  Before Academy officially released, I thought it would be fun to do some rough testing and play the format with existing cards and Mages.  Of course, the official rules had not been released at that time, so I was forced to make up rules as I went.  I am disappointed that the developers at Arcane Wonders seem to have no interest in allowing Arena cards to be played in Academy, severely limiting the current card pool.  So I figured I would share my variant with the community for feedback, and in case anyone else was interested in it. 

Goal: To allow as many Arena cards and Mages as possible to be used successfully in Academy, by creating overarching rule additions instead of changing individual cards.  This must preserve a measure of balance, but should not necessarily adhere to the current balance of either Arena or Academy (some cards will naturally be better or worse after the transition; the goal is to avoid completely overpowered and game-breaking cards). 

Part 1: Mage Conversion
a. All non-Academy Mages possess a spellpoint limit of 40 instead of 120.
b. All non-Academy Mages reduce their total life by 10 and their channeling to 7.  If the Mage started with 10 channeling, he/she gains 3 mana at the start of the game. 
c. All non-Academy Mages do not have access to their second or third printed abilities (example: the Wizard has access to Voltaric Shield, but not Arcane Zap).  Abilities include traits (such as Fast or Tough -2). 
d. All non-Academy Mages roll 1 less attack die.

Part 2: Conjurations
a. Each Mage may only possess up to 2 Zone Exclusive conjurations simultaneously.  These are placed in a line behind that player's creatures and Mage.  If a player wishes to play a new conjuration but has no spots remaining, he/she may discard an existing conjuration which he/she controls in order to play the new one. 
b. When choosing the target of an attack, a player may target a conjuration as long as no enemy creature (including the enemy Mage) is guarding.   
d. A single player may not actively possess 2 conjurations with the same name, unless those conjurations target different objects. 
e. If an effect would cause a conjuration to switch from one player's control to another's, the player who now controls the conjuration moves it to his side of the field and counts it towards his/her conjuration limit.  It no longer counts towards the original owner's conjuration limit.   
f. Conjurations which target creatures or other objects do not count towards the 2 conjuration limit, and are played faceup underneath their target. 
g. Conjurations which state they cannot be placed in a zone adjacent to another type of conjuration (outposts) mean that a player cannot possess 2 outposts at the same time. 

Part 3: Walls
a. Only a single conjuration card with the Zone Border spawn target area (walls) may exist at any one time.  This is placed in-between the two player's creatures.  This conjuration does NOT count towards either player's conjuration limit. 
b. A player may replace a wall he/she controls by discarding the old wall while playing a new wall.  Players may not replace walls their opponent controls. 
c. Creatures with an attack range of 0 or 1 may attack walls.  While choosing the target of an attack, players may always choose to ignore guards and attack a wall instead.
d. A wall with the Passage Blocked trait must be attacked before any creature can attack any other enemy creature or conjuration.  Any creature with the Flying trait is immune to this effect (both while attacking and while being targeted by a ranged attack). 
e. A wall with the Passage Attacks trait may be ignored while a player is choosing the target of an attack, but if the player does not target the wall and is melee attacking with a creature, that creature suffers the attack listed on the wall card before making its own attack.  Creatures using a ranged attack are unaffected.  If a creature dies as a result of this attack, it does not complete its planned attack. 
f. A wall with the Blocks Line of Sight trait prevents ranged attacks and spells from targeting anything which is on the other side of the wall (except those which do not require line of sight).  Any creature with the Flying trait is immune to this effect (both while attacking and being attacked). 

Part 4: Traits and Effects
a. Fast - This creature starts active.  If an inactive minor creature would gain Fast from a spell, it instead becomes active. 
b. Slow - This creature starts with a Stun marker.  If a creature would gain Slow from a spell, it gains a Stun marker instead. 
c. Lumbering - This creature's first attack gains -2 dice and -6 to the effect die roll. 
d. Rooted - This creature cannot melee attack any conjuration or creature which possesses a ranged attack unless its Uproot cost is paid for that attack. 
e. Charge - This creature gains melee +X if it did not attack last turn.  This includes its first attack.  The Charge trait never applies to Counterstrikes, and a Counterstrike while Guarding does not count as an attack.  Charge does not activate during an attack if a Teleport effect is in play for that attack. 
f. Extendable - This trait has no effect.
g. Hinder - This trait has no effect. 
h. Restrained - This creature may not use any full-attack action. 
i. Obscured - This creature or object cannot be targeted by ranged attacks (but may still be hit by Zone Attacks). 
j. Push - Any creature targeted by a Push effect suffers an Unavoidable attack of 2 dice and has its Guard token removed (if applicable).  Creatures with the Unmovable trait and conjurations are immune to this attack.  If the spell allows for the player to Push the target through a wall and a suitable wall exists, the player may choose to have the target suffer an attack from the wall instead of the Unavoidable attack of 2 dice. 
k. Unstoppable - This creature cannot be Restrained, and possesses the Unmovable and Uncontainable traits. 
l. Snatch - This attack removes the target's Guard marker (if possible).  If there is a wall with the Passage Attack trait in play, the target of this attack suffers an attack from that wall.  Snatch does not count as a normal Push attack, and the target does not suffer an Unavoidable attack of 2 dice if no wall is in play.  Creatures with the Unmovable trait and conjurations are immune to this effect.
m. Climbing - While declaring a melee attack, this creature ignores any wall with the Passage Blocked trait. 
n. Zone Exclusive - Each player may only possess 2 conjurations with this trait at a single time. 
o. Unmovable - This creature is immune to Snatch and Push effects. 
p. Stun - This creature is Incapacitated.  Before round three, Stun markers cannot be removed.  During and after round 3, all Stun markers on a creature are removed at the end of that creature's Action Phase. 

Part 5: Misc. Rules
a. Teleport - Any spell which teleports a creature allows it to immediately make an attack on any enemy creature or conjuration, regardless of Range or Line of Sight.  This attack ignores all game systems or traits which would normally prevent the attack (including the Restrained condition and Guarding creatures), except for Incapacitated.  However, all traits which would normally impact the attack otherwise are still calculated (including Melee +X), and the defending creature may still use a Defense (and Counterstrike after the attack) if able.  After the attack, the attacking creature becomes inactive.  If a teleport spell is activated in response to an enemy's attack, the defending creature automatically avoids that attack.  This is not counted as a Defense, and cannot be stopped. 
b. Traps - Any enchantment with the Trap sub-type triggers when the next enemy creature is summoned. 
c. Vines - Vine markers target individual, non-Mage creatures.  Two markers Restrains the target, and three markers Incapacitates the target.  These conditions last as long as the markers remain on the target.  As a quick action, a creature may attack another creature's vine markers to destroy up to 2 of them. 
d. Weapons - Any weapon which does NOT mention the level of the Mage (in other words, non-Academy weapons) rolls 1 less attack die. 
e. Zone Control - A player controls the battlefield if he/she currently possesses more creatures in play than his/her opponent.  Pests and Incapacitated creatures do not count towards Zone Control. 

Part 6: Cards Still Incompatible
-[mwcard=FWQ06]Horn of Gothos[/mwcard]

-[mwcard=FWJ01]Akiro's Hammer[/mwcard]

-[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ03]Altar of Domination[/mwcard]

-[mwcard=MWBG1J05]Galaxxus[/mwcard]

-[mwcard=FWJ04]Garrison Post[/mwcard]
-[mwcard=MW1J21]Suppression Orb[/mwcard]

-[mwcard=MWBG1J03]V'Torrak Gate[/mwcard]

-[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC12]Talos[/mwcard]

-[mwcard=MW1E04]Chains of Agony[/mwcard]

-[mwcard=MWBG1E03]Sentinel of V'Tar[/mwcard]

-[mwcard=DNE03]Stumble[/mwcard]

-[mwcard=MW1E38]Teleport Trap[/mwcard]

-[mwcard=MWBG1E04]V'Tar Force Sentry[/mwcard]

-[mwcard=MWBG1I01]Cascading Force Wave[/mwcard] (technically works, but is completely identical to normal Force Push)
-[mwcard=MWBG1I03]V'Tar Suppression[/mwcard]

-[mwcard=MWBG1I02]V'Tarrian Healing Song[/mwcard]

-[mwcard=MWBG1A05]V'Tarrian Energy Wave[/mwcard]

I would love feedback, criticisms, etc. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:27:41 PM by Ganpot »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: The MW Arena to Academy Conversion Project
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 06:18:28 AM »
How much have you tested this?

Academy's card pool is not too small, it just seems that way to Arena players who aren't familiar with Academy gameplay. It will be great when the cardpool is bigger because that means that there will be more possible strategies, but there are already enough to support a healthy variety for tons of replayability and plenty of time for testing and tweaking decks.

It might help you to have a better idea of what could work and what couldn't if you play regular academy for a while first and then introduce cards more gradually to see how they affect the game. I suspect a lot of arena cards that you're including will cause absolute chaos and break the game even with your rule edits.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Ganpot

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 05:21:48 PM »
How much have you tested this?

Academy's card pool is not too small, it just seems that way to Arena players who aren't familiar with Academy gameplay. It will be great when the cardpool is bigger because that means that there will be more possible strategies, but there are already enough to support a healthy variety for tons of replayability and plenty of time for testing and tweaking decks.

It might help you to have a better idea of what could work and what couldn't if you play regular academy for a while first and then introduce cards more gradually to see how they affect the game. I suspect a lot of arena cards that you're including will cause absolute chaos and break the game even with your rule edits.

I've played about 4 games with this ruleset (not a lot, but I've been a bit swamped). 

For me personally, having only two Mages and two schools of magic be truly represented is rather limiting, even when compared to just the core set of Arena.  No doubt more variety will be added in future expansions, but it seems a shame to not use all of the pre-existing cards people have laying about.  If people just want to stick with basic Academy, no one's stopping them. 

The entire point of this is NOT to introduce cards one at a time, for several reasons.  Firstly, it would take a much longer period of time to determine which cards could/should be included because most cards should transition absolutely fine.  Secondly, introducing all of the cards at once actually helps maintain balance.  Cards can and do work as natural counters to each other.  Adding in cards one at a time and checking balance that way will ironically give you less balanced results in the long run.  Spamming [mwcard=MW1C37]Thunderift Falcon[/mwcard] might be way too powerful on its own, but if [mwcard=MWBG1J02]Gravikor[/mwcard] is also allowed, then an easy counterplay exists. 

The only rules I've created which I believe might lead to large imbalances are the ones concerning the Slow and Lumbering traits.  I'm worried that I haven't made them harsh enough. 

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 07:42:21 PM »
I wasn't saying only add one card at a time. When I said "add cards more gradually" I meant more like 20 or 30 cards at a time, the size one would expect an academy expansion to be. Or just add a few cards at a time and make sure that every card has at least one counter introduced.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
There is another thread where someone is engaged in a similar project, might benefit from some comparisons or joining up?