April 28, 2024, 08:53:08 PM

Author Topic: No Planning Phase?  (Read 3604 times)

Ophidimancer

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
No Planning Phase?
« on: February 08, 2016, 11:50:50 AM »
I did a quick search, but couldn't find a previous topic like this, but has anyone tried playing Arena with no planning phase like Academy?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:53:35 AM by Ophidimancer »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: No Planning Phase?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 06:35:41 PM »
probably not. that would be broken. You'd have to completely change some fundamental aspects of the game to accommodate that. For instance, nullify would probably need to cost 2 or 3 more mana to reveal, as would every other mandatory enchantment. And a lot of the gameplay would be very different. Say you cast and reveal enfeeble on sardonyx. With a planning phase, if Sardonyx's controller didn't predict your enfeeble, they would have to wait until next round to dispel it. Without a planning phase, they could just pull it out of their spellbook and get rid of it instantly. There's probably plenty more examples of issues like that which could happen if there was no planning phase in arena.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Ophidimancer

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 11:57:04 AM »
Does that just change tactics, does it make any part of the game not work correctly?

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:59:54 AM »
It would cause a lot of cards to be under costed, and some cards to become over costed. The ability to change a planned spell is a particular effect in arena that usually costs something. Ie Mage wand, mordok's tome
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Trent Magnus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 03:27:34 PM »
The ability to change a planned spell is a particular effect in arena that usually costs something. Ie Mage wand, mordok's tome

Wizards Tower... oh wait, never-mind.
β€œIt is for some to command the forces of nature, for others to harness the primal forces of the elements, and still others to manipulate the delicate forces of life and death, yet only one controls force itself.” – Trent Magnus