April 27, 2024, 06:07:07 PM

Author Topic: Card of the Week #1: Tanglevine  (Read 11233 times)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
Card of the Week #1: Tanglevine
« on: February 02, 2016, 03:38:16 PM »
Card of the week:
Tanglevine

Tanglevine is a pretty unassuming card. It’s from the core set, which is by no means a slight against the card. Rather, it’s been so long since the core set has come it, it seems that we oft forget this cards in place of shinier, newer iterations of old favorites. This is a main reason I want to bring Tanglevine back to your attention. It’s a five mana quick action conjuration with 8 life, no armor, and all it does is sit there, stopping something from moving. Sure it’s a decent card, but why is it card of the week worthy? Well, for three main reasons, all of which we will go into today. Tanglevine is efficient, aggressive, and subtle in so many ways that it is a card that can be used even as utility in virtually every book!

Let’s start with the most basic observation, an analyzation of card stats to determine efficiency. The card costs 5 mana. Pretty cheap, but it’s about half a round’s worth of mana, so it isn’t something you can just cast willy-nilly. It’s also a quick action, which is awesome because we can combine with other actions and still move during our mage’s turn, which is incredibly efficient as far as sheer action strength is concerned. Now, the HUGE reason it’s so efficient, is that the card eats actions for the opponent. Casting it opening QC at the right time can shut down the opponent’s turn almost completely. They have to spend at least an action getting rid of the tanglevine. And if it’s an attack, that’s their colored action marker, and that’s an entire round that has been basically forgone to deal with the 5 mana threat that you threw out there. To think of this in terms of net gain and net loss, it does not out and out say “Gain an action” on the card, but that’s what it has the power to do, and in a game where every action counts, this little card suddenly becomes very powerful.

Now, for those of you Mages out there that haven’t had a chance to check out my thoughts on Go as it compares to Mage Wars, there is an idea I put across in those thoughts that I want to mention here today. That is the concept of sente and gote. Briefly, sente is an action that a player makes that must be reacted to. Gote is an action that a player makes that can be ignored with no ill consequence. My reasoning for bringing this up is that Tanglevine is such a card that, in the right context, is a sente threat with such overwhelming power as to change the flow of time. However, in the wrong context, Tanglevine is a gote threat. How does one definitively differentiate the situations? It comes down to how your opponent is going to need his actions. There are many mages that can just sit in the same zone and continue to do their own thing for most of the game, and in those cases, Tanglevine becomes an accessory to the opponent and thus backfired, taking your action and mana while having no real net gain to the board. At best, tanglevine becomes something they only deal with when it is most convenient for them. This is never something you want to give the opponent. If they know what you are doing, they can plan against it as effectively as possible. You don’t want to give them that option. Therefore, Tanglevine is a Sente threat during two circumstances:

1.   When the opponent is trying to be aggressive.
2.   When you are trying to be aggressive.

Starting with the first situation listed, Tanglevine can be a great way to shut down aggression. Many of these hyper aggressive books cannot afford to lose a round doing something other than hitting your face, so buying time with a tanglevine can be that breathing room you need to re-stabilize. Often, pairing a tanglevine with a wall can be the ultimate show stopper to turn the tide in your favor. Combining these two things does take planning, however, so be patient. The best time to do this is right before you are at half-life. At least, in my thought processes, this seems to be the perfect time for the opponent to hammer you with double lvl 2 spell. Offsetting that aggression by using your initiative to tanglevine and gtfo gives you the time you need to get some good defenses down. The second scenario I have listed up there is also a fantastic time to make use of the beautiful tangle of organic roping we call tangle vine. At the end of a turn that the opponent has had initiative, throw them a tanglevine! Then, you can QC lvl 2 and action a lvl 2 spell for an insane amount of damage, and they are still dealing with the tanglevine! Even if they teleported, you should be able to get right within range of them. Not only that, you forced them to spend a card that was potentially incredibly powerful later on for a mediocre conjuration destruction spell now. If you are using a more creature heavy approach, tanglevine them opening QC. That why you give your creatures an almost free round of striking while they try and deal with that tanglevine. To sum up when you use tanglevine, as the last action of a round, or as the first. There are exceptions, of course, but generally these are two very strong times to drop a sente threat. Utilizing the right timing with the right card will bring your game to a higher level.

But let’s talk about quite possibly my favorite part about Tanglevine. It’s a lvl 1 spell!! There are a lot of strong threats in Mage Wars that are at least lvl 2 or higher, but it’s rare to see a lvl 1 spell be so powerful. Because it’s nature, that means it can fit into a lot of spellbooks for a very small cost. Putting one into a book is almost nothing. It’s incredibly versatile, too. Shutting down a powerhouse creature they have, removing that pesky counterattacker for a round. The uses are endless.

If you haven’t played around with this card already, I really encourage you to do so! It’s got some incredibly interesting applications, but you want to make sure you get that timing right before you take it into any kind of serious setting, because the timing is the most critical part of this card. It’s what can give you the most tempo, but also take it away. So, go play!

On a side note, I would like to start doing a card of the week every week! If you guys like what you see here today and want more, please, for the love of Grizzly, let me know! As well, any comments, criticisms, or questions you may have are more than welcome. Thank you all for reading, and happy Roaring!

• Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Card of the Week #1: Tanglevine
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 04:24:03 PM »
Yep. Tanglevine is a "2-4 of" in most of my books, even out-of-school books like Necromancer or Priest or Warlord.  I often pack more Tanglevines than other staples such as Dispel or Dissolve or Force Push or Teleport.  Deploying it from my Druid's Vine Tree is always fun!  Great for the positional game in a Domination match.  And it couples nicely with Astral Anchor, of course.

Looking forward to episode #2!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:43:22 PM »
This is absolutely fantastic. Keep this up!!
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Ophidimancer

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:37:37 PM »
I love Tanglevine!  I usually use it offensively to disable guards.  From the opponent I try to plop an Eagle Wings on myself to reveal in case of Tanglevine or wall.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:33:04 PM »
Eagle Wings on a Mage?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Ophidimancer

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 11:28:58 PM »
Eagle Wings on a Mage?

I like playing an aggressive Beastmaster.  Neither walls, nor vines, nor hindering minions should slow the beatdown.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 11:40:40 PM »
[mwcard=MW1E13]Eagle Wings[/mwcard] target bar - non-mage
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 12:11:05 AM »
As a new member to the mage wars community I love the idea of card of the week!!!
Keep it going, And thank you for your posts!

I think tangle vine is awesome too.   I am considering it more in my books outside of nature school as well.  It does seem like a must. 

I feel knockdown incantation provides a similar role in taking down creatures, especially flyers. It may not use up opponents actions in multiple rounds like tanglevine but it is quite effective for its cost.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 12:28:27 AM »
Tanglevine is an old favorite of mine,

lets not forget some of the other uses:

1.It lets you ignore guards.

2. Hitting Guardian Angels/ Forcemasters etc. get easier.

3. If your out of Eagleclaw Boots and your tired of being pulled/pushed, tanglevine yourself.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 12:34:59 AM »
I love the discussion put forth so far- seeing other examples of how tanglevine can be used only adds to the number of wonderful reasons Tanglevine is such a utility spell!
Always carry a towel...

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 07:01:49 AM »
1.It lets you ignore guards.

This tends to be my favorite way to use it. I find that a well timed tanglevine can cause havoc when the opponent thought they were safe with a guard
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 09:23:06 AM »
Absolutely, and I'm wondering if tanglevine plus a slam ablility would be an effective way to remove intercept? I can't recall right off the top of my head, but Tanglevine can't target flying creatures, but doesn't slam remove the flying trait? Just a thought.
Always carry a towel...

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 09:24:52 AM »
Absolutely, and I'm wondering if tanglevine plus a slam ablility would be an effective way to remove intercept? I can't recall right off the top of my head, but Tanglevine can't target flying creatures, but doesn't slam remove the flying trait? Just a thought.

if you fear intercepter once they guard they are grounded soo just cast the vine than and its flying wont help them, it just cant target a flying but if a creature is in a vine and gets flying it stays in the vine

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 09:30:32 AM »
While guarding you lose flying. So, a Guardian Angel who is guarding can be Tanglevined, and that's easily my favorite play with this card. Incapacitating a creature (such as with a Slam) will cause them to lose flying. Once they've lost flying you can smack the Tanglevine on them.

Restrained creatures cannot intercept and cannot gain the flying trait. So, Tanglevine is especially potent against the Gargoyle or Guardian Angel.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 09:37:54 AM »
While guarding you lose flying. So, a Guardian Angel who is guarding can be Tanglevined, and that's easily my favorite play with this card. Incapacitating a creature (such as with a Slam) will cause them to lose flying. Once they've lost flying you can smack the Tanglevine on them.

Restrained creatures cannot intercept and cannot gain the flying trait. So, Tanglevine is especially potent against the Gargoyle or Guardian Angel.
But she still can Guard and Heal, which is a good thing on occasion....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest