April 27, 2024, 05:39:37 PM

Author Topic: Tempo for making swarm work?  (Read 9293 times)

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Tempo for making swarm work?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 03:35:29 AM »
Thanks Dude, interesting thoughts - I haven't had a chance to try them but it does sort of give me the sense of making the swarm work, rather than thinking specifically around straywood. 

I think I looked at the straywood aviary as being something that would be like a whirlwind of birds tearing down the enemy and while I think it could be in theory, getting the balance between establishing the board presence smaller swarm creatures need and trying to pump out the birds never quite fell right. 

One approach I might try is a swarm as a build deck rather than aggro, building the board more while looking like I'm going to play aggro badly :)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 07:40:45 AM »
that's how I've built my swarm decks, using the swarm as a precursor to something more rather than the end all be all.

Yeah a big problem that most people have is that they can't balance establishing permanence and creature building in a swarm style aggression. Bursts, rather than long periods of creature play, are the way I've made it work.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 08:13:18 AM »
I would like to recommend to look at two spells from Academy.

Wispwillow amulet which is 3 mana for 6 rounds of equivalent of  "chanelling +1" and Wychwood Faerie that discounts by 1 mana animal or enchantement spells casted by mage in her zone.

Great for economy :)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )