April 29, 2024, 11:46:30 PM

Author Topic: Academy Warlock Reveal - Khali-Gar, Blade Maiden  (Read 8166 times)

ArcaneDuels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels - YouTube
Academy Warlock Reveal - Khali-Gar, Blade Maiden
« on: January 06, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
The Next Reveal!

No way we could just stop with Ehren! He's not the only Legendary coming from Academy.

Tell us what you think about this new powerful Demon!
Subscribe to us on YouTube to catch all of our videos!

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Academy Warlock Reveal - Khali-Gar, Blade Maiden
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 02:38:16 PM »
could be cool in academy. But in arena, It'll get shot down in an instance by an attack spell or something else. No defence, and no armor.

But damn, that artwork! nice!
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 02:54:42 PM »
Looks amazing with 4 arms. A quadruplestrike would have been supercool for those hands.

But true: one hurl boulder kills it with a good shot. Or with akiros help. You could make use of knowing this with attaching reverse attack to it.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 02:55:50 PM »
could be cool in academy. But in arena, It'll get shot down in an instance by an attack spell or something else. No defence, and no armor.

You say that, but it's never as easy as it sounds. It's definitely going to cost more mana to get rid of her with AN (implying singular) attack spell due to the setup. She's tough enough to eat multiple attack spells. A simple Brace yourself also increases survivability greatly with minimal investment. Along those same lines, a force orb/block/gator toughness/iguana regrowth also increases survivability pretty well for their cost compared to how much the attack spells will cost. Just food for thought.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 03:03:38 PM »
Also worth noting that killing her without a ranged attack will be rough. Slap a vampirism on her and she's dodging half of the melee attacks coming her way, counterstriking all of them, and healing around 2 life per melee attack. If you add any additional support, like a rhino hide, she's suddenly terrifying to fight in melee. I like her just fine as is.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 03:30:38 PM »
Looks amazing with 4 arms. A quadruplestrike would have been supercool for those hands.

But true: one hurl boulder kills it with a good shot. Or with akiros help. You could make use of knowing this with attaching reverse attack to it.

I'm just trying to get my head around what it means to be both a demon and a maiden.  Perhaps she has no quadruple strike because it is her first time, after all.   ??? I'm surprised she doesn't have some sort of drawback where she has a chance to hurt herself (e.g. if her defense roll fails or something).  Is anybody else struggling to figure out how all those joints would move?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 03:55:29 PM »

You say that, but it's never as easy as it sounds. It's definitely going to cost more mana to get rid of her with AN (implying singular) attack spell due to the setup. She's tough enough to eat multiple attack spells. A simple Brace yourself also increases survivability greatly with minimal investment. Along those same lines, a force orb/block/gator toughness/iguana regrowth also increases survivability pretty well for their cost compared to how much the attack spells will cost. Just food for thought.

oké, I take it back! you convinced me.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 11:58:14 PM »
Card is awesome but i think we are missing something else and that is also awesome and i need to point it out.

Its both guys from Arcane Duels. Your "TV skills" are growing exponencially and i am looking forward to another revealed episode of card revealing :)

Thank you! :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 12:42:47 AM »
Now I want Abaddon, Bael and blade demons in the game.

I'm just trying to get my head around what it means to be both a demon and a maiden.  Perhaps she has no quadruple strike because it is her first time, after all.   
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/maiden
a former Scottish beheading device resembling the guillotine
See also Shieldmaiden.
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 07:41:29 AM »

Hurl Boulder deal at least 9 damage only 24.69% of the time.
With Akiro's Favor, it deal at least 9 damage 43.29% of time.

So spending 8 mana for a 1/4 chance to kill her is not that great and spending 2 actions (at least akiro's will stick around) and 11 mana to have less than 1/2 chance to kill her is still not great.

So she is pretty good.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 07:46:26 AM »
only a 1/4 chance of killing her, but still a decent amount of damage. You can finish it of with something else.

--> spells like knockdown, surging wave, stunning her... are also a good way to kill her

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 07:49:40 AM »
On the other hand spending 12 mana and a full action to cast a creature that dies with a chance of 1/4 with a single standart shot is quite expensive.
Letting her jump out of pentagram or playing with knowing that this attack may follow changes the point.
It's one of those cards you have to use carefully and planned to get full use of it. Will be fun to play around with it.

Hurl Boulder deal at least 9 damage only 24.69% of the time.
With Akiro's Favor, it deal at least 9 damage 43.29% of time.

So spending 8 mana for a 1/4 chance to kill her is not that great and spending 2 actions (at least akiro's will stick around) and 11 mana to have less than 1/2 chance to kill her is still not great.

So she is pretty good.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 07:52:44 AM »
My first thought, is that she is overcosted.

I think she misses something like: her attack gains piercing +2 when she is not counterstriking.

What im trying to say is that she can be ignored and doesnt present much of a threat.
I feel that she is a cheaper and weaker version of the ape. Except the ape is a pain to kill where she will be fairly easy to handle.
Against both your best off ignoring them.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 08:00:09 AM »
Also, 2 hurl rocks -> 2 actions & 8 mana, 71.72% killing chance.

It's one of those cards you have to use carefully and planned to get full use of it. Will be fun to play around with it.

Totally agreed!

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 07:14:53 PM »
only a 1/4 chance of killing her, but still a decent amount of damage. You can finish it of with something else.

--> spells like knockdown, surging wave, stunning her... are also a good way to kill her

Which means you spend 2 actions and more mana than your opponent. You are losing the tempo game.