April 28, 2024, 05:54:32 PM

Author Topic: Academy cards, Arena board?  (Read 3457 times)

KaneKalos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Academy cards, Arena board?
« on: January 06, 2016, 10:33:50 AM »
Has anyone tried to use Academy only cards/mages on an arena board? Are there any problems that you see arising from this or could this be a way to introduce the tactical movement of Arena while keeping the smaller spell book and life points of academy? Maybe even use only half of the board like in Apprentice mode?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
Heitai-san wa yukande; itsudemo kimi no soba ni iru.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Academy cards, Arena board?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 10:39:37 AM »
Has anyone tried to use Academy only cards/mages on an arena board? Are there any problems that you see arising from this or could this be a way to introduce the tactical movement of Arena while keeping the smaller spell book and life points of academy? Maybe even use only half of the board like in Apprentice mode?

Already suggested this a long time ago. Don't think it's been tried yet though. Please try it and let us know how it goes!

Also because of the lack of positioning spells in academy I would recommend changing it to 3 or 4 zones maybe?
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Academy cards, Arena board?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:51:05 AM »
I don't think just adding a board is going to help much.  Academy went through several iterations of board size before it was settled on the One Zone as superior and it was mostly due to the fact that whoever moved first lost.  That is not the lesson you want your burgeoning Mage Warriors to learn.

One of the extremely important things to learn about movement and tactics in the Arena is how to use various movement spells and abilities.  Therefore, I suggest one of two courses of action:

1) Allow a select few movement altering spells and creatures to be added to your Academy spell books on the 2x3 board.  Perhaps one or two "fast" creatures ([mwcard=MW1C04]Bitterwood Fox[/mwcard], [mwcard=MW1C05]Blue Gremlin[/mwcard]) and a [mwcard=MW1I12]Force Push[/mwcard] or two as well as a [mwcard=MW1A09]Jet Stream[/mwcard] or a [mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]Surging Wave[/mwcard].

2) Jump into full blown Apprentice Mode.  You'll almost only have the movement to teach and you can kick start finding fun new combinations with all of the Arena cards.

Obviously you know your players better than I do, but I would definitely suggest at least adding some movement cards when you expand the board.

KaneKalos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Academy cards, Arena board?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 01:18:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies! It's definitely something I'm wanting to try out this weekend and I'll post here of my results!
Heitai-san wa yukande; itsudemo kimi no soba ni iru.