March 29, 2024, 08:08:05 AM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Arena: Ascension Mode  (Read 6216 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Arena: Ascension Mode
« on: December 15, 2015, 06:26:10 PM »
Instead of using a real mage, choose any of the creatures in Arena whose levels add up to 6 to be your "mage". Your training must be the same as your mage's schools. If your creature is not trained in a major school,
It may gain training in its subtype in addition to its minor school training.

If your Mage includes a familiar, you have 9 channeling. Otherwise you have 10 channeling. Spellbook size is still 120 points. This is true even if your mage is made up of more than one creature. An equipment can only target  and be attached to one "mage" creature at a time.

Other than that, the rules are the same as normal. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:38:57 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Arena: Ascension Mode
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 08:26:45 AM »
By "successive level of enemy triple-cost school", what exactly do you mean? Are you saying I can choose to make Arcane an enemy school (while using say a few Fire creatures) to make my max level 7, and take another in a different school to make it 8?

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 08:33:58 AM »
By "successive level of enemy triple-cost school", what exactly do you mean? Are you saying I can choose to make Arcane an enemy school (while using say a few Fire creatures) to make my max level 7, and take another in a different school to make it 8?

Okay this training thing is more complicated than I thought. I should have realized it's not merely the presence of an enemy school that is important but also *which* enemy school it is. How about something like "your Mage can only have training in its own schools and subtypes, and their levels must add up to 6"?
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 08:38:27 AM »

Okay this training thing is more complicated than I thought. I should have realized it's not merely the presence of an enemy school that is important but also *which* enemy school it is. How about something like "your Mage can only have training in its own schools and subtypes, and their levels must add up to 6"?

By that do you mean to say spells outside of your "trained" school/subtypes are enemy schools?

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 08:40:40 AM »

By that do you mean to say spells outside of your "trained" school/subtypes are enemy schools?

No just double cost not enemy. TBH I'm not sure this format will be balanced without enemy schools, but I'm not sure how to calculate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 08:41:57 AM »

No just double cost not enemy. TBH I'm not sure this format will be balanced without enemy schools, but I'm not sure how to calculate them.

You could do like I did and make the enemy schools a list where X school automatically has Y enemy.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 08:44:13 AM »

You could do like I did and make the enemy schools a list where X school automatically has Y enemy.

That doesn't seem like it would be balanced. It's not like the paladin pays triple for arcane, nor does the warlock or warlord pay triple for nature even though the bm and Druid pay triple for fire. Enemy schools are based on what is balanced and thematic for individual mages, not for the schools as a whole.

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 08:48:36 AM »

That doesn't seem like it would be balanced. It's not like the paladin pays triple for arcane, nor does the warlock or warlord pay triple for nature even though the bm and Druid pay triple for fire. Enemy schools are based on what is balanced and thematic for individual mages, not for the schools as a whole.

There is no way to balance the game mode as a whole until you accept that you can't treat them the same as Mages. The only option left is to balance what you can. I picked the enemy schools based on what 1) made the most sense thematically and 2) spread the balance around so there wasn't any overlap. For instance, Nature isn't opposed to Fire, because Fire makes more sense Opposed to Water. Nature was instead opposed to Arcane, because Magic and the laws of Nature rarely go hand-in-hand. Creatures have obvious disadvantages and advantages vs Mages, and that fact alone should be considered as a factor as well.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 09:27:25 AM »

There is no way to balance the game mode as a whole until you accept that you can't treat them the same as Mages. The only option left is to balance what you can. I picked the enemy schools based on what 1) made the most sense thematically and 2) spread the balance around so there wasn't any overlap. For instance, Nature isn't opposed to Fire, because Fire makes more sense Opposed to Water. Nature was instead opposed to Arcane, because Magic and the laws of Nature rarely go hand-in-hand. Creatures have obvious disadvantages and advantages vs Mages, and that fact alone should be considered as a factor as well.

Yeah. You're right. This also would need to be balanced Mage by Mage. I suppose specific examples of this should be posted in custom cards then lol.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 12:21:05 PM »
ב"ה
I think it should be restricted to living corporeal creatures. Otherwise we could get ridiculous things like an invisible stalker mage, that as long as it don't make any attacks you cant even target him. Also two zombie brutes as the mage, when both get veteran's belt, sound like a little too much.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 03:18:44 PM »
ב"ה
I think it should be restricted to living corporeal creatures. Otherwise we could get ridiculous things like an invisible stalker mage, that as long as it don't make any attacks you cant even target him. Also two zombie brutes as the mage, when both get veteran's belt, sound like a little too much.

You're right I didn't think of that either. All the more reason each creature would have to be balanced as a Mage individually one by one. Damn. I guess this format just doesn't work. Then again maybe we can come up with a list of approved creatures?