April 19, 2024, 04:39:56 PM

Author Topic: Has anyone here ever heard of or tried Krosmaster Arena?  (Read 5104 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Has anyone here ever heard of or tried Krosmaster Arena?
« on: November 29, 2015, 07:05:20 PM »
I saw it once at Origins or Gen Con and didn't give it a second thought. The core set was $20 more than the Mage Wars core set so it seemed out of my budget. However, their expansions seem to be less expensive than Mage Wars expansions.

It seems like a somewhat similar kind of game, it was published in the same year as Mage Wars, and has nearly twice as many likes on facebook. It already has an online version on steam that's free to play.

As far as I know though, it's a miniatures game, not a card game, although I don't really know much of anything about the gameplay besides that. It does have grid movement, like Mage Wars, and it's a fantasy arena fighting game, like mage wars. You choose a team of heroes to do battle in the arena, and there are different heroes you can choose from.

What are people's thoughts on this? Have you heard of it? Have you played it? Was it fun? How does it compare to other customizable strategy games? How affordable is it, really?

For some reason right now I'm imagining Mage Wars personified as Ash Ketchum and Krosmaster as Gary M***********g Oak, if you know what I mean. I'm not sure how accurate that metaphor is, though...
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

riastradh

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone here ever heard of or tried Krosmaster Arena?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 07:48:37 PM »
I've seen Krosmaster. It's a fun and competitive game. The short sell is you choose a team of 2-4 fighters and use your team to fight for points by claiming them from spots on the board or eliminating your opponent's fighters.

Customization of your team boils down to using the various characters in combination to suit your strategy as each one fights differently. Each set or expansion comes with a number of fighters and ability cards. There are also variations of the same fighter.

I've not delved much more than that due to the two common issues that arise with games like this - overhead on getting started, and finding a pool of players interested in even trying it. It's surely worth it if you can find a good deal, IMO.

Good gaming!

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 02:03:48 AM »
I played it last year, it seemed ok and I enjoyed it, but it didnt seem on the surface to have some of the same depth and strategy that I like about MW.  That might have been a little because we were playing a single game versus a campaign, which like Arcadia I'd say it benifits a lot from.  However, it felt like a fairly simple rule system and bit more akin to comparing chinese checkers to chess or go.  Chinese checkers can be a good game and there are layers to it, but compared to go and chess, there isn't the same sense of depth. I might be being too harsh of Krosmaster and chinese checkers :)

Boardgame geek has a couple of reviews - actually just looking, the game overview states that its a tactical game, which is probably a fair assessment.  Strategic decisions weren't at the forefront of our games anyway. 

It is a very very cute/pretty game though.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 07:41:54 AM »
Pokemon reference is good, but Krosmaster is the Pokemon while MW is I don't know what.
Krosmaster is miniature game that is based on already popular franchise (Dofus/Wakfu) that spawned at least two computer games, two TV series and a CCG. It also serves as a computer game booster since You can register your miniatures online to add more characters to your virtual team. When I was checking it some time ago I was more interested in it because of looks not gameplay.

I've not delved much more than that due to the two common issues that arise with games like this - overhead on getting started, and finding a pool of players interested in even trying it. It's surely worth it if you can find a good deal, IMO.

Good gaming!
That's not a problem since You can register your miniatures online and play with them in computer version.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)