March 29, 2024, 02:04:39 AM

Author Topic: Lunchtime for Kralathor  (Read 6917 times)

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Lunchtime for Kralathor
« on: November 23, 2015, 07:10:46 AM »
Hey everyone,

Here's the book I used against Intangible in the Mage Roars league. The idea is to feed Kralathor a couple of bobcats to get him rolling, and not get so distracted by feeding Kralathor that you forget to kill the other mage. If you watched the video of the match, you can see I'm still working on that last part :P. Killing bobcats and watching Kralathor grow is a bit more fun than you'd think at first.

I also decided to roll with the samara tree at first as an experiment. From what I've noticed, it's actually a really good combo for this book. The opponent can either deal with the growing threat of kralathor, or they can deal with the seedling pods. The pods allow me to choose what spell to cast later on once I can see what the opponent is doing.

The book overall probably needs some refinement, but it's a really fun book to play in its current form too.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Lunchtime for Kralathor[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Druid Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]2 x Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A08]2 x Geyser[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNJ09]1 x Samara Tree[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ08]4 x Seedling Pod[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J13]2 x Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ10]2 x Stranglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ02]1 x Corrosive Orchid[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1W04]3 x Wall of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ11]2 x Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ06]2 x Nightshade Lotus[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC17]1 x Tataree[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC21]4 x Thornlasher[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC20]3 x Vine Snapper[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC06]1 x Kralathor, The Devourer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C14]5 x Feral Bobcat[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC10]2 x Raptor Vine[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNE01]1 x Barkskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]3 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E07]1 x Cobra Reflexes[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E36]3 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]3 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E40]1 x Vampirism[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNQ04]1 x Druid's Leaf Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ08]1 x Vinewhip Staff[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q09]1 x Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q15]1 x Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q16]1 x Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q23]1 x Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I23]2 x Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI11]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI13]2 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI12]2 x Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI02]2 x Burst of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI08]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI06]2 x Defend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]2 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:21:54 AM by SharkBait »
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Lunchtime for Kralathor
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »
What is your opening? If you are going with a Samara Tree, I recommend including a [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC08]Gargoyle Sentry[/mwcard] to deal with fireball rushes. One of the biggest advantages that Samara Tree has over Vine Tree is that it lets you summon a Gargoyle (or Guardian Angel) to defend it on turn 1, which can make all the difference when your opponent decides to rush you.

I also have a Samara Tree book that I have been working on for a while, which you might want to take a look at. Feeding Bobcats to Kralathor is an interesting idea, though I am suspicious of the mana efficiency, cheap though they are.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 10:07:22 AM by ACG »

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 10:09:02 AM »
The opening I ran in the match was

T1. Tree + Tataree
T2. Kralathor + Akiro's favor facedown
T3. Bobcat + stuff.

I haven't tried out a lot of options, just because I haven't done as extensive of testing with this book as I have of others.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:49:57 AM »
The opening I ran in the match was

T1. Tree + Tataree
T2. Kralathor + Akiro's favor facedown
T3. Bobcat + stuff.

I haven't tried out a lot of options, just because I haven't done as extensive of testing with this book as I have of others.

Just watched the first half of that match. A few thoughts:

1. Samara Tree can cast SPs at a range of 0-1, so you don't need to remove vine markers when casting in adjacent zones.
2. I just realized that Altar of the Iron Guard would work very well in any druid book, since you can have guards sprout anywhere on the board.

Opening seems all right for your strategy. Bobcats are definitely the cheapest creatures (considering spellpoints and mana) that you can use for this. 5 mana and 1 sp is pretty good for a growth token, but the full action is prohibitively expensive, since it prevents you from advancing with Kralathor. I would suggest that you move 1 zone on the first turn, if only to get Kralathor closer to the action.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 11:15:54 AM »
Just watched the first half of that match. A few thoughts:

1. Samara Tree can cast SPs at a range of 0-1, so you don't need to remove vine markers when casting in adjacent zones.
2. I just realized that Altar of the Iron Guard would work very well in any druid book, since you can have guards sprout anywhere on the board.

Opening seems all right for your strategy. Bobcats are definitely the cheapest creatures (considering spellpoints and mana) that you can use for this. 5 mana and 1 sp is pretty good for a growth token, but the full action is prohibitively expensive, since it prevents you from advancing with Kralathor. I would suggest that you move 1 zone on the first turn, if only to get Kralathor closer to the action.

Awesome, I appreciate the feedback :). It'll help move me out of my dark mage shell. It's still a little frightening not being able to fall back on a fireball to their face :P

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 03:58:08 PM »
With Academy coming out I would suggest switching out the bobcats for the Darkfenne Asps. They are good for feed Kralthor with less health, but also can be useful in the book for reactionary purposes.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 04:01:17 PM »
Hey shark! I love the druid! I think she's got the best angle on the nature school, even with 3× war and fire ( those fireballs are expensive for her!). That having been said I've got a few comments and maybe they will help. I hope so!

1. I see what you're doing with the bobcat feeding, but it seems like the dice you are wasting ( harsh wording sorry) by eating the bobcat might be better spent just sending them in to attack on there own. If they move they get 4 dice and If they dodge something you might get that twice before they die. I see you have a lot of them so maybe you still can later ( with the ones who don't become snacks) but the full action spent on such a small creature might put you behind.

If you still wanna munch them early maybe consider starting with bear strength on the big worm vine. 6 dice is a bit more insurance on the early kill for snacking, plus once you get it the threat level is much higher, much faster and it'll make subsequent snacks easier. That and even if you only snack once 7 dice is huge! 5 is dealable.

2.you don't need regrowth belt. I know it's small, and it feels like a better alternative without an upkeep, but without a battle forge its just more expensive outright. Barkskin is probably the best enchant in the whole game (imho), make use of it, it's so so so good!

3.You've got a lot of walls of thorns but no force pushes? Even if you don't wanna pull the cheese grater on the other mage, force push is huge for the druid. You've got no eagle claw boots either so those walls can get used against you ( maybe) although Barkskin will help a lot there too. Plus nothing sucks more than losing a tree to a rush. Make them pay for it with 20 dice for getting too close too soon!

4. You've got a lot of creatures. Many you may have to hard cast as your tree is a little slower than the vine tree (no big deal tho) I might pull one of the thorn lashers and fill out those attack spells with more surging waves, acid balls and such. That lvl one water training is amazing, take advantage. Mid game acid balls are great when you can afford to use them on pesky conjurations rather than having to save them for the mage, my druid runs 4. Lol.

5. Adramalech will really mess up a druids day! Best to just have a plan to invalidate him or kill him immediately! Knockdown + tanglevine can help, a will sleep teleport, acid ball hurl boulder, hurl rock hurl rock, maim wings wall of earth, etc etc etc.

I really like that you're trying her Out, one more thing that might make you feel more at home, she may pay 3X for fire but dark is only double and a few well placed curses can really help her out a lot! Keep trying it brother I think you'll love it!

When in doubt, watch out for those who kill it with fire!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 12:32:43 AM »

1. I see what you're doing with the bobcat feeding, but it seems like the dice you are wasting ( harsh wording sorry) by eating the bobcat might be better spent just sending them in to attack on there own. If they move they get 4 dice and If they dodge something you might get that twice before they die. I see you have a lot of them so maybe you still can later ( with the ones who don't become snacks) but the full action spent on such a small creature might put you behind.

I was wondering a little bit of the same, but thought perhaps you were trying to get a hit or two in with them before having them for lunch?  I like temple of the dawnbreaker with anything carrying defense.  It might cost you too many book points but would keep tataree going longer also, which maintains your spore's mana generation. 

I like the lifetree for making small creatures more viable, but that investing in keeping your bobcats alive longer probably goes against the whole philosophy of your book.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Lunchtime for Kralathor
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 08:38:22 AM »

I was wondering a little bit of the same, but thought perhaps you were trying to get a hit or two in with them before having them for lunch?  I like temple of the dawnbreaker with anything carrying defense.  It might cost you too many book points but would keep tataree going longer also, which maintains your spore's mana generation. 

I like the lifetree for making small creatures more viable, but that investing in keeping your bobcats alive longer probably goes against the whole philosophy of your book.

It would be nice for Kralathor if we could summon creatures under the opponent's control. To be honest I'm not sure it's necessary. If not for its weakness to fire Kralathor would be a potent buddy creature even against non swarms. It's attack is 4 dice and it has 1 armor 13 life and regen 2. That's the same as gorgon archer. If your opponent doesn't summon a swarm, enchant it with things like rhino hide, bear strength, lion savagery, cheetah speed, mongoose agility, and divine protection. Kralathor is a powerful attacker with a lot of staying power, and is a good counter to swarms, and the Druid pays x1 spell points for it. Instead of paying 4 points for a suppression orb or a mordok's obelisk and another 6 points for a guardian angel or something, you can simply pay 4 points for Kralathor. Maybe you just need to put a raincloud over its head to protect if from fire.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 09:21:27 AM »
Why don't you use the straywood beastmaster? You can be much more aggressive with him using this strategy.

turn 1: kralathor + ring of beasts
turn 2: run + quick summon the cat + something

I'd run to the other mage while summoning bobcats. Kralathor following me in my footsteps and eating them. Once your near the enemy you start the real attack. Maybe summon a timberwolf pet then.

Also, once academy is out, you should def. change the bobcats for the asps. They are cheaper and weaker.
ring of beasts + asp is only 3 mana and a qc for a growth marker.. That's actually really good!

For more agression you could even give kralathor cheetah speed in turn 1 and afterwards double run and qc the asp.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:24:08 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 10:16:24 AM »
SHHHH!  Someone might be doing this already! <.<  Don't give away his secrets >.>
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 10:43:33 AM »
Why don't you use the straywood beastmaster? You can be much more aggressive with him using this strategy.

Because I drew the Druid in the Mage Roars tourney  8).

Honestly, it worked REALLY well when a certain beastmaster did this against me that I won't mention because he wants to keep it a "secret" .....  :P

Quote from: RomeoXero on November 23, 2015, 04:01:17 PM

Basically, it's summed up in that I don't want to use the bobcats. They are ONLY in the book as food so I can make Kralathor as threatening as possible to keep the seedling pods alive long enough for me to build a forest :D.

If I charge in with 4 dice and attack once or twice with the cats, they die and Kralathor doesn't grow. Also, I've noticed a general "critical mass" at roughly 3 or 4 growth tokens that MOST mages stop trying to kill K and just avoid him (unless they're trying to kill it with fire, but that's a different problem.)

The druid has a lot of options in general for keeping things alive, so if I can get K big enough, keeping him alive should be ok. The only issue then is keeping the mage alive for when they come after you lol. Still working on that last part, but the book was fun to use.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 10:45:58 AM by SharkBait »

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 10:46:33 AM »
SHHHH!  Someone might be doing this already! <.<  Don't give away his secrets >.>

Because I drew the Druid in the Mage Roars tourney  8).

Honestly, it worked REALLY well against a certain beastmaster against me that I won't mention because he wants to keep it a "secret" .....  :P
haha, alright. didn't know ^^
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.