April 26, 2024, 10:12:59 PM

Author Topic: not all schools have attack-spells.  (Read 9080 times)

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
not all schools have attack-spells.
« on: November 19, 2015, 04:19:06 AM »
As I was sorting all my MageWars Cards by school on a meditativ evening, I saw clearer then before that there are no attack-spells in dark school and nature school.
As I wondered why, I re-realized that all elements have their own school, and that nature-attacks simply just landed in the more "precise" elemental schools.
Now I am thinking about how would a "pure" nature-attack-spell look like (with no elemental included)?
And even more interessting: what could a cool dark-attack-spell be?

The other question I asked myself: How do you guys sort your cards? I had them sorted by Type and some big suptypes first (like healing, animal or plant). That was good for looking up cards thematically. Now I switched to schools for searching cheap cards.
In the end most times I use OCTGN deckbuilder to really set up a book. But with cards in my I get more ideas. How do you sort them? Or do you just need them alphabetically to find them for playing and sort and know everything in your head?

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: not all schools have attack-spells.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 05:13:40 AM »
The dark school has a dark-fire combo: [mwcard=MWSTX2FFA01]Devil's Trident[/mwcard]

And some pure dark pseudo-attack spells: [mwcard=MW1I08]Drain Life[/mwcard] & [mwcard=MWSTX1CKI01]Drain Soul[/mwcard]

A pure nature attack spell: [mwcard=DNI02]Burst of Thorns[/mwcard]
(it's an incantation for the mechanics, but we all know this is an attack spell)

I sort my cards by mage/school. For the nature school I choose wether it fits more with the beastmaster or the druid and I do the same thing for the necro/warlocks. This works pretty well apart from the war school. This pack is huge.

1) school/mage
2) type
3) mana cost

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 05:22:42 AM »
I sort them by the Type of Spell, then by School and then by Alphabet. Well, at least that was intention :) Now i have a one big pile of cards which i looking trought hoping to find that one dispel or teleport which should be definetly in there :D
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 05:47:15 AM »
I sort alphabetically within each card type, with Academy cards separate for now. Same way most deck lists get sorted (in rule books, etc).

I also have them all in 9-card sheets in a binder, and with minor exception (Minor Heal comes to mind), all copies of a given card that aren't in books can fit in a single pouch in a sheet. That's for 2 first edition core sets, a Spell Tome 1, and 1 copy of each expansion (except Spell Tome 2).
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 06:09:50 AM »
I sort alphabetically within each card type, with Academy cards separate for now. Same way most deck lists get sorted (in rule books, etc).

I also have them all in 9-card sheets in a binder, and with minor exception (Minor Heal comes to mind), all copies of a given card that aren't in books can fit in a single pouch in a sheet. That's for 2 first edition core sets, a Spell Tome 1, and 1 copy of each expansion (except Spell Tome 2).

I use separate color-coded 3-ring binders with 9-card sheet pages with a single card in each slot. This way I can see the available card count at a glance. It is also easy to expand when new card sets are released. Currently I am storing 5 Arena core sets plus 3 of each Arena expansion, 3 Battleground expansions and 2 Academy core sets. I don't mix Academy with Arena cards because i decided not to continue buying the Academy series. I am having too much fun teaching Apprentice mode to new Arena players so I am focusing on that play mode at the moment.

Here are the categories I use for my binders:
1. Academy
2. Battlegrounds: Domination
3. Arena - Mage Specific cards
4. Arena - Incantations
5. Arena - Equipment
6. Arena - Attack
7. Arena- Enchantments
8. Arena - Conjurations
9. Arena - Creatures

Spells in a binder are sorted by School and then by Mana Cost. In 1 and 2 above they are first sorted by spell type. Multi-colored spells are placed in the back of each binder.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 09:17:05 AM »
Burst of thorns isn't an attack spell
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 10:24:37 AM »

That's what they want you to think.  :o
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 11:24:14 AM »

On top of that it's better then an attack spell in regards of how it deals with reverse attack, daze, stun and much more! :D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:38:53 AM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 11:39:41 AM »

That's what they want you to think.  :o

:o don't give it away
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 04:51:16 PM »
That is definitely true!

On top of that it's better then an attack spell in regards of how it deals with reverse attack, daze, stun and much more! :D

There are some more attack-like incantations, and I really oversaw the trident...

Interesting you are all using binders. For storage it might really be the better choice. I'll think about that. Also I like that there is not a simple solution for how to sort cards. A symbol of mage wars complexity. I guess I will mix in academy into my box as soon as i get it. The academy game itself isn't that interesting to me. Just waiting for new cards :D