April 25, 2024, 02:27:40 PM

Author Topic: Is it possible to become a Mage?  (Read 9987 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Is it possible to become a Mage?
« on: November 06, 2015, 02:30:51 PM »
Can someone become a Mage or do they have to be born that way?

If they have to be born that way, then are there non-magical researchers besides wizards, and are there schools for nonmages?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to become a Mage?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 03:20:03 PM »
Ah, Ah you think magic is your ally? You merely adopted it. I was born in it, molded by it.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 03:36:48 PM »
Ah, Ah you think magic is your ally? You merely adopted it. I was born in it, molded by it.

That sounds kinda cool, but it doesn't really answer my question...
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »
Since mana comes from external source and can be manipulated in various ways (crystals, amulets etc.) I think that everyone can become a mage. It's just that not everyone is suited for it (like with driving, some people are really bad at it, but even blind person could drive). Also there's training issue. If You want to be something better than level 1 mage You have to pay for your training.
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 08:16:21 PM »
Is that air your breathing? Hmm? In this construct do you thinking being faster or stronger mean anything?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Nareus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 01:21:27 PM »
Makes me wonder if we'll ever get some sort of anti-magic characters to play as.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Evil is not necessary for good to exist. However, good is necessary for evil to exist, as all that is evil is a corruption of that which is good.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 01:31:51 PM »
I heard somewhere that Barbarian will have some anti-magic skills build within him :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Sabrath_Kell

• Official Loremaster of Etheria
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • @ArraxCrown on Twitter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »

If they have to be born that way, then are there non-magical researchers besides wizards, and are there schools for nonmages?

Not everyone can be a mage. Though magic and magic items are commonplace in most of Etheria, true Mages are quite uncommon.  Being a Mage requires the rare talent which only one in a thousand individuals will possess. (Don’t take my math literally).

In addition to having this talent, it requires many years of study and practice to be successful. The secrets of magic are carefully guarded and not readily disclosed to just any disciple. Most nations have official schools and colleges of magic (notably Sistarra Academy in Sortilege). Depending on the School or Academy, its focus, and its teachers/proponents, Mages and aspiring Mages from all over Etheria will travel great distances to pursue study there. 

Mages are usually found;
• Training/teaching/working at one of the special magic schools or universities.
• Working for their government, as an arena fighter, advisor, court Mage, or special emissary.
• In the military; as a champion warrior, mercenary, or general of an army.
• In service to the community – for example Druids helping crops and Beastmasters hunting for sustenance.
• An active part of or leader of a religious order, where their magic and God are one.
• As individual rogues or highlanders, seeking their own wealth, power, fortune.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 05:11:48 PM »

Not everyone can be a mage. Though magic and magic items are commonplace in most of Etheria, true Mages are quite uncommon.  Being a Mage requires the rare talent which only one in a thousand individuals will possess. (Don’t take my math literally).

In addition to having this talent, it requires many years of study and practice to be successful. The secrets of magic are carefully guarded and not readily disclosed to just any disciple. Most nations have official schools and colleges of magic (notably Sistarra Academy in Sortilege). Depending on the School or Academy, its focus, and its teachers/proponents, Mages and aspiring Mages from all over Etheria will travel great distances to pursue study there. 

Mages are usually found;
• Training/teaching/working at one of the special magic schools or universities.
• Working for their government, as an arena fighter, advisor, court Mage, or special emissary.
• In the military; as a champion warrior, mercenary, or general of an army.
• In service to the community – for example Druids helping crops and Beastmasters hunting for sustenance.
• An active part of or leader of a religious order, where their magic and God are one.
• As individual rogues or highlanders, seeking their own wealth, power, fortune.

Omg this as an awesome post!

Anyways, you're basically saying there's sort of a baseline natural aptitude for magic in order for someone to become a Mage or have any chance of pursuing a successful magical career, but the aptitude alone isn't enough to be considered a Mage? That actually makes a LOT of sense. I love this explanation. I was worried that mages might be a sort of "master class" who either have power over everyone else or could if they wanted to. But this way makes magic seem more along the lines money, intelligence, and social skills in how it impacts life outcomes.

The complex, dynamic, relatable, and comprehensible world-building in Mage Wars keeps getting better and better. I love it!

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 05:03:33 AM »
If i am a mage, my wife is a mage, will my kids be also mages?

If i am a paladin and my wife is a siren... bad example.

If i am a paladin and my wife is a Beastmistress... bad example

If i am Necro and my wife is Warlock.... bad example

If i am beastmaster and my wife is priestess, will be kids good in holy magic or nature magic OR they will be able to became Warlocks (probably during puberty)? :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 06:17:50 AM »
AW should edit a Mage-X with complex rules to find out!