April 27, 2024, 05:13:10 PM

Author Topic: MAGE ROARS ROUND 1 PAIRINGS AND BOOKS!  (Read 23495 times)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
MAGE ROARS ROUND 1 PAIRINGS AND BOOKS!
« on: November 05, 2015, 10:47:32 AM »
Hey there folks! So in this topic I will be listing the round 1 pairings, and then below this each and every one of our books will be displayed prominently! All numbers were generated

So Round 1:

Dude-Puddnhead

Mystery-Halewjn

intangible-sharkbait

adoryc-arxiducs

coshade- Thesaris

moldrid-defran

Schwengott-Henry_Ketchup

Let's get warring!

• Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: MAGE ROARS ROUND 1 PAIRINGS AND BOOKS!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 10:54:46 AM »
who said that books are known?

That really changes a lot

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 11:18:26 AM »
Why are you posting the decks?
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 11:22:13 AM »
There goes my surprise samandriel  :P
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 11:26:45 AM »
honestly guys you can boot me, under those cicumstances I'm out. That makes no sense

and if you want to do it like this post it before, than you make decks that are less obvious

suprises go away

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 11:32:56 AM »
Yes, I won't play a game while my opponent knows exactly what's coming  :o
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:35:29 AM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 11:43:35 AM »
That what's coming is one point. But that you exactly know, which pieces of equipment and enchantments are still in the box and you know how many dispels and dissolves each have, than you know when to keep and when not...

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 11:48:44 AM »
Perhaps we should delay the first round. I really am excited for this league!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 11:52:26 AM »
Guys, in the previous thread it was brought up.that i would have an unfair advantage over the other players if i got.to see the books and noone else did. So, i posted that i would share the books to take.that advantage away. This is a free tournament in which prizes will.be given out. With that being said, anyone who wants to drop can. The point of this league was to.have fun, and if.that takes the fun away from you, i completely understand.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 12:01:12 PM »
Would it help to have an unaffiliated party with the spellbook sheets that can make sure they're legal and provide them after the games are done?

Just throwing ideas out there, it's my 2 mana take it for what it's worth.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 12:08:30 PM »
If Laddin's busy, I'll do it.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 12:09:38 PM »
that would sound best have someone else looking at it.

Of course from the fun point of view we can still play it but it changes the game a lot, it is just so different from a normal mage wars. And this guessing on enchantments, trying to run people off dispels to get that stranglevine/astrol anchor to work... is just not possible. I think it just reduces so many possibilities. It won't be a problem to play but it does not feel like a tourney and is total casual play for me in that instance.

@ Dude: cool that you wanted no advantage, but it was not in the rules and i didn't read every single post on the 6 pages thread

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
MAGE ROARS ROUND 1 PAIRINGS AND BOOKS!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »
that would sound best have someone else looking at it.

Of course from the fun point of view we can still play it but it changes the game a lot, it is just so different from a normal mage wars. And this guessing on enchantments, trying to run people off dispels to get that stranglevine/astrol anchor to work... is just not possible. I think it just reduces so many possibilities. It won't be a problem to play but it does not feel like a tourney and is total casual play for me in that instance.

@ Dude: cool that you wanted no advantage, but it was not in the rules and i didn't read every single post on the 6 pages thread

@Dude, I second this. You should have told us this ahead of time, in the rules. Knowing your opponent's spellbook ahead of time drastically changes things, and not necessarily in a balanced way. Not every playstyle values that knowledge equally. I suspect mages that rely more on enchantments are going to be at a distinct disadvantage. Also, I suspect this knowledge is also a boon to removal. Everyone is going to know exactly what objects they need to destroy and what they should leave alone, because they know exactly how many copies of them their opponent is running. Furthermore, my spellbook is core set x1 only and it's a warlock who relies on enchantments, and everyone knows that now, which is a double whammy against my spellbook in particular. I'm not sure how much of core set x1 only warlock's power comes from the fact that opponents don't know that I'm playing core set x1 only. What you just did could be anything from a minor inconvenience to a complete declawing of my spellbook. :(
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:46:56 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 12:55:47 PM »
Ok, seriously, everyone listen up. EVERYONE needs to chill out. It seems there has been a miscommunication. That doesn't mean attacking theDude (Sailor, your post comes off that way) is a good move. He's put his time and effort into creating a fun round-robin style tournament. Just because some people (myself included) misunderstood what he meant when he said he'd post the books (the misunderstanding seems to be in the timing of said event) doesn't mean it can't still be fun and can't be worked around. Instead of blaming theDude, let's open up a dialog here and see how we can fix the issue.

I, personally, have no problem with my opponent knowing my book ahead of time. That seems to be a minority opinion. I personally feel that it's possible to both have fun and have a competitive game in the current setup. That opens up the question though, if theDude is willing to change it to go through a neutral party, do we want to do so?
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 01:00:03 PM »

Ok, seriously, everyone listen up. EVERYONE needs to chill out. It seems there has been a miscommunication. That doesn't mean attacking theDude (Sailor, your post comes off that way) is a good move. He's put his time and effort into creating a fun round-robin style tournament. Just because some people (myself included) misunderstood what he meant when he said he'd post the books (the misunderstanding seems to be in the timing of said event) doesn't mean it can't still be fun and can't be worked around. Instead of blaming theDude, let's open up a dialog here and see how we can fix the issue.

I, personally, have no problem with my opponent knowing my book ahead of time. That seems to be a minority opinion. I personally feel that it's possible to both have fun and have a competitive game in the current setup. That opens up the question though, if theDude is willing to change it to go through a neutral party, do we want to do so?

I don't really see how that looks like an attack, since I said nothing ad hominem. I'm sorry if it was taken that way.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.