April 28, 2024, 10:31:52 PM

Author Topic: noob question - counterstrike  (Read 8458 times)

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
noob question - counterstrike
« on: November 01, 2015, 06:07:26 PM »
so i played a game against my friend last night and we came across a counterstrike question.

if a timber wolf attacks a hydra which has not used its action yet and does not have a guard marker on it.  If the hydra is attacked and uses counterstrike does its action marker get flipped over once it counterstrikes?

also, if it does have a guard is the action marker still active, once it is attacked and does the counterstike from the guard is the action marker still active?

thanks guys
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: noob question - counterstrike
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 07:05:33 PM »
Counterstrike never flips an action marker. If the creature making the counterstrike has a guard marker, the guard marker is removed, but the action marker isn't flipped.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 06:10:52 AM »
Has there been a ruling about multiple counterstrikes? 

The spiked buckler promo card makes it possible for a mage to have two counterstrike attacks. Does the mage get both or must they select one?

I didn't find a limit of one in the rules and thought this added some new dimensions to the attack action.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 07:32:49 AM »
Academy rules stating that only one counterstrike can occur per attack and my guess is that you will only choose one attack of those two. I would actually like to see an oficial statement about this :)

I i would also like to state, that something like noob question doesnt exist. Beginner or Newbie does :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 07:54:24 AM »

The spiked buckler promo card makes it possible for a mage to have two counterstrike attacks. Does the mage get both or must they select one?

I didn't find a limit of one in the rules and thought this added some new dimensions to the attack action.

Page 28 of the Mage Wars rules state that you can only make One counterstrike to each attack against you.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »
I would like to point out here that Spiked Buckler freakin rocks. If you have a Bear Strength and are using a melee +1 mage (warlock/beastmaster) you're rolling 6 dice on a counterstrike that you don't even need a guard for!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 11:53:41 AM »
I would like to point out here that Spiked Buckler freakin rocks. If you have a Bear Strength and are using a melee +1 mage (warlock/beastmaster) you're rolling 6 dice on a counterstrike that you don't even need a guard for!
And if You fail defense roll You still can reveal [mwcard=MW1E33]Retaliate[/mwcard].
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 12:02:10 PM »
can a defense be used during a counterstrike ?

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »
Yes, it can. Counterstrike is an attack with nearly same steps for normal attack.

1. Declare Attack
2. Avoid Attack (here you can use defense)
3. Roll Dice
4. Damage and Effects
5. Additional Strikes (hello [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC04]Cerberus[/mwcard])
6. Damage Barier
7. Counterstrike Counterstrike cannot trigger another Counterstrike. This way two creatures with CS will engage a pretty bloody combat sequence :)
8. Attack Ends

I am going by memory. I hope 4th rules didnt add something new :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 02:23:56 PM »

cool - never thought of that! Lion Savagery will provide an additional piercing.

Also Bim Shala will buff it further.

If your weapon gets dissolved you can also just use the attack for the pierce.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 04:30:04 PM »
I'm afraid HoB won't help with the counter attacks. You need to activate t before or after a friendly action. During a counterstrike it's not your mages turn and activating a ready marker cant be done in the middle of an action. Yes you can use it after the action that puts you in the dangerous position, but in that case id likely use it to add the +1 armor instead of the melee +1
I love this game. Its awesome!

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 07:51:14 PM »

Page 28 of the Mage Wars rules state that you can only make One counterstrike to each attack against you.

Thanks. I missed the sidebar in my reading haste.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 02:14:55 AM »
I'm afraid HoB won't help with the counter attacks. You need to activate t before or after a friendly action. During a counterstrike it's not your mages turn and activating a ready marker cant be done in the middle of an action. Yes you can use it after the action that puts you in the dangerous position, but in that case id likely use it to add the +1 armor instead of the melee +1

Bim can be used to grant +1 melee for the whole round. Bim is a conjuration with a ready marker. The defense on Bim is something YOU choose when you want to use.
Combine this and my statement is still valid under many circumstances. Yes... if the enemy mage has initiative and is running solo strat AND attack you immedialty then you wont have time to do Bim that round... but there are many many many other situations where Bim will work just fine with the shield.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 03:34:35 PM »
ok, so just to make sure I understand:

using the hydra as an example, if he has no guard token and still has not used any actions this turn - if he is hit by a melee attack then he can counterstrike without flipping his action marker then attack again on his turn? - correct?

What if he uses his action marker, has no guard and is then attacked? does he still get to use a counterstrike since it is his quick action attack?

I'm just trying to get clarification for when I play with my friends.  When I play on octgn I am playing with more experienced players whom I can ask this kind of stuff.  My friend played me last night with the core set and this question came up and I couldn't answer.  Thanks for all of your input!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 03:45:14 PM »
In both cases the Hydra gets to make a counterstrike and you don't touch the action marker. In your first example you would make the counterstrike and still be able to activate him and make his full attack later in the round. In the second example he still gets to make his counterstrike. It doesn't matter that his action marker is flipped.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster