April 29, 2024, 02:36:28 AM

Author Topic: Backup Battleforge  (Read 6560 times)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Backup Battleforge
« on: October 21, 2015, 12:15:51 AM »
Why don't people have backup Battleforge(s) for when one is destroyed? people often bring multiple wizards towers for the same reason. Maybe its because equipment isn't central to killing the enemy, while damage dice from a tower are. The meta seems to be kill the battleforge turn 3, so why not bring a backup?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Backup Battleforge
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 02:37:51 AM »
It's very expensive to do so (spellbook points).
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 03:29:02 AM »
It is the same SP as a wizards tower since the tower-bound spell is discarded too.

warlock/warlord/firewizard:3sp
most others:4sp
bm:5sp
druid:6sp
wizard tower+out of school level1 spell:4sp.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 04:04:40 AM »
Isn't the amount of equipment I've got remaining also a factor? A wizards tower is the gift that keeps on giving but a battle forge late game has worn out its welcome (unless I'm just not bringing enough presents to the party!)

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 05:21:44 AM »
Isn't the amount of equipment I've got remaining also a factor? A wizards tower is the gift that keeps on giving but a battle forge late game has worn out its welcome (unless I'm just not bringing enough presents to the party!)

+1
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

aridigas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 05:40:45 AM »
I often use my Battleforge to generate actions. You use one action to cast it, but get at least one or two deploys out of it. Meanwhile your oponent needs at least two actions to destroy it, unless he oneshots it with Force Hammer or Surging Wave. That's 3-4 actions you can use more than your oponent. If the Forge is destroyed after that, it served its purpose.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 05:48:12 AM »
Why don't people have backup Battleforge(s) for when one is destroyed? people often bring multiple wizards towers for the same reason. Maybe its because equipment isn't central to killing the enemy, while damage dice from a tower are. The meta seems to be kill the battleforge turn 3, so why not bring a backup?

Who says they don't? :)

I'd like to take this opportunity to also point out that Battle Forge isn't unique or legendary. You can have two in play at once, if you want. They cost more than Mana Crystal, but they're lots more durable...
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 07:57:51 AM »
Let me elaborate on my "too expensive" :

The Forge is nice to have in the beginning to equip yourself quickly without losing other actions. Usually I feel that my Forge has done its duty after lets say 3 equipment pieces..after that it's nice to have but I wouldn't care much if it is lost. It's nearly not possible that an opponent can destroy a Forge quickly enough to make one really suffer...this would have to happen basically on the same turn the Forge comes out and demands quite some commitment - an alternative for the opponent would simply be to run a Forge on his own and in that way equalize the game position. The latter one being a more flexible, less committing and imho more appealing/attractive/reasonable apporach.
Anyway, to sum this up I rarely feel the urge to replace my Forge -  I also think it is a questionable/debatable strategy to try to destroy it - at least it's not an auto-target.

Also, 3+ spellbook points is a lot atm for me. I have several decks that I have been playing for a long time and it causes me sleepless nights or nightmares  ;) when I try to find the room for even 1 spellbookpoint  8)

Friend of mine runs an Anvil Warlord with 2 Battleforges which he both casts on Turn1 - I envy him  :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:04:52 AM by gw »
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 08:30:50 AM »
sleepless nights or nightmares

That's how deckbuilding should work :D
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 08:13:40 PM »

Who says they don't? :)

I'd like to take this opportunity to also point out that Battle Forge isn't unique or legendary. You can have two in play at once, if you want. They cost more than Mana Crystal, but they're lots more durable...

My surging wave wand says otherwise.......

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 10:14:34 PM »
Battleforge purpose is to save you actions for the 3-4 equipment that you want early game. After that, if it is still up, it is just bonus, but if it is not, there is no need to waste an action an mana to get equipment that won't serve you that much.

RufusCaesar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 04:48:22 PM »
From the times i've tried making a soley Mage attack such as Warlord soley attacking I like to have at least 2 so I can keep equipping more and more as the game goes on. It also can help when you have 2 out on different sides of the board so your range is much higher so you can get constant equips with things like the leather equipment.
  • Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord
Veni, Vidi, Vici!