April 25, 2024, 08:36:16 PM

Author Topic: Requests regarding Apprentice mode  (Read 5468 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Requests regarding Apprentice mode
« on: October 11, 2015, 12:59:39 PM »
Since the Dude published this article:

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=16006.0

in which he talked about the benefits of playing apprentice mode as an experienced player, I have found that he was absolutely right and apprentice mode is amazing at a more competitive level.

Will there ever be apprentice mode tournaments for more experienced players? Since (at least according to the Dude) regular preconstructed isn't necessarily that balanced, I think having apprentice tournaments for experienced players will be a great option, especially for those who want to spend more time trying other games or who don't have a custom spellbook ready.

Also, will you please make the apprentice domination spellbook lists available? You know, the ones that were used when teaching domination at origins? I want to play with them some more.

Thanks!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Requests regarding Apprentice mode
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 01:37:39 PM »
No there is not an intention to make apprentice tournaments. Also the "apprentice domination books" were made at origins and as such there was no list of the cards changed. We started with the standard apprentice books though.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 02:04:48 PM »
No there is not an intention to make apprentice tournaments. Also the "apprentice domination books" were made at origins and as such there was no list of the cards changed. We started with the standard apprentice books though.

In that case, will there ever be some kind of preconstructed organized play?
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 02:19:14 PM »
Their are no plans for a preconstructed organized play. I do know that at this years World Board Game Championships we had an ambassador do something like you're describing though.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 05:41:07 AM »
Their are no plans for a preconstructed organized play. I do know that at this years World Board Game Championships we had an ambassador do something like you're describing though.

Details are located here and in the DropBox link found in the post below.

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=16031.0

I have tournament materials available to share if you want to try this format yourself. It was a blast and I plan to run the event next year as well. The plan is to adapt the overall format over time based on feedback of the tournament players who enter the event each year.

The general format I used for the convention was to have 3 days of demos to teach new players. The first tournament day was 4 heats of Apprentice mode play with each player required to play a different core mage in each heat they entered. Players were ranked at the end of the day and the top 8 advanced to single elimination play on Saturday.

Players customized one apprentice book to use for the single elimination play and the full arena rules for the core set was added.

One key change players requested was to add an optional spellbook design seminar between the two tournament days.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:51:50 AM by wtcannonjr »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 07:59:14 PM »

Is there any chance of official preconstructed organized play ever happening? It seems like something that would have so much potential both in terms of fun and for promoting a new set. It seems like such a waste not to. Then again, there is limited space at conventions, so maybe this idea is better relegated to us ambassadors...

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 08:17:51 PM »
Yes we do want to do more with constructed play, and yes there are all sorts of hurdles at conventions.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 10:02:42 AM »

Is there any chance of official preconstructed organized play ever happening? It seems like something that would have so much potential both in terms of fun and for promoting a new set. It seems like such a waste not to. Then again, there is limited space at conventions, so maybe this idea is better relegated to us ambassadors...
I actually got into MW after apprentice tournament in 2012 organised by local game club at FLGS.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)