April 29, 2024, 02:19:10 PM

Author Topic: Questions about Octgn apprentice mode  (Read 1517 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Questions about Octgn apprentice mode
« on: October 09, 2015, 07:18:18 AM »
Do the mages in Octgn apprentice mode have the same life values as they do in the full game? I looked in the rules and it sounded like they do, but I thought they didn't.

Also, is it possible to build all four of the core mages or two of the core mages plus two mages from any big expansion in Octgn apprentice mode using only the core set and 1-2 expansions per game?

Also, is it possible to build all four of the core mages in Octgn apprentice mode using just the core set? What about just two?

Is it possible to build any two mages in Octgn apprentice mode using only 1-2 expansions and the core set?

Can you build both the mages of any particular big expansion in Octgn apprentice mode using just that expansion and the core set?

I know Octgn apprentice mode is supposed to be Octgn exclusive, but I really would like to be able to use it in real life, since two of the people in my playgroup don't have internet where they live for some reason, and the third one is rarely able to leave his house and probably doesn't have a ton of access to the Internet if any for reasons I'd rather not talk about here. Only one person in my playgroup has reliable Internet access other than me.

It would be easier to introduce them all to new mages using Octgn apprentice mode in real life if possible. Without Octgn it's much harder to know how to decide what sets to buy since I don't know ahead of time what my playgroup likes. I own all the arena expansions except for FvW (which I plan to get at some point in the near future) and DvN
(which I'm thinking I'll probably get at some point after I get FvW because it has acid balls and extra dissolves and I have 3rd edition core set, plus meditation amulet, wand of healing and stranglevine are pretty good cards to have, amongst other things).

So it's not necessarily that important for choosing expansions to buy right now, but it could be in the future, and it will be easier to introduce them to new mages in Octgn apprentice mode because we usually only have 1-2 hours and that's not enough time for a beginner to play a full 1v1 game, and I'm hoping that eventually it will be possible to have three games happening simultaneously.

I'm thinking I'll probably get Mage Wars Academy at some point next month.

If someone could help me figure this all out that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:26:16 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Octgn apprentice mode
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 06:27:11 PM »
Mages have Standard Life

Do not know if it is possible to build all 4 as it was done for OCTGN

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

The reason for all of the Ditto's is that the entire card pool was used (up to FiF) at the time so things like two mages with 1-2 expansions and 1 core are possible (with some possible tinkering) but more than likely I would say 1 core and 1 copy of each expansion would be needed. As an example: FiF requires FvW and Core for just the base spellbooks. 

Feel free to use it IRL. One of the niceties of OCTGN is that card counts really don't matter if you are building solely for OCTGN.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest