March 29, 2024, 02:14:57 AM

Author Topic: Official MW Lore: Sistarra, the Grand Academy of Magic  (Read 9462 times)

Sabrath_Kell

• Official Loremaster of Etheria
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • @ArraxCrown on Twitter
Official MW Lore: Sistarra, the Grand Academy of Magic
« on: September 13, 2015, 11:02:02 PM »
This week, let’s take a look at one of the bright lights of learning and Mage craft in Etheria — Sistarra, the Grand Academy of Magic.

For aspiring academics of all persuasions, Sistarra represents the highest institution of collected learning, lore and magic that the nations of Etheria have to offer. It is the pride of Sortiliege, and attracts students from all corners of the world seeking knowledge and advance magical training. It is also the oldest magic-based academy still training future mages today.

Overview
Sistarra is located in the ancient city of Sor Alora, established on the southern coast of Sortilege. The city was built almost 2500 years before the founding of the Pellian Empire; it was nearly destroyed during the Age of Catastrophe and the subsequent magic battles that ultimately consumed Sen Ahreal, but was restored to greatness once more during the Pellian Empire, when Sortilege became part of the larger Empire. Sor Alora saw some fighting during the Demon Wars, but was in large part spared from the ravages of Adramelech’s forces.

As such, students who come to Sistarra find themselves in a city steeped in history, with architecture, fountains, statuaries, portals and bridges that hail from virtually every period of Etheria’s past. Add to that the fact that the geography of Sor Alora is incredibly picturesque; the city is housed on the high white cliffs of the southern coastline, surrounded by small hills and mountains to the north. (These natural features have protected the city from most invaders; until a visitor makes his way through the barrier mountains and down into the bowl of Sor Alora, the city is not even visible).

The Academy itself was initially established sometime around 2200 BPE. (Exact records were lost during the chaotic times of the Age of Catastrophe.) There are several buildings and sections to the institution, so in essence, Sistarra comprises a small city-within-a-city. Some key points of interest include:

The Old Campus
The rebuilt remains of the original towers that were destroyed during the Age of Catastrophe. This is the most iconic portion of the campus, particularly since it was built along the main river of the Sor Alora valley, and juts out on the edge of a waterfall which the river terminates into, cascading down to the ocean below. A spectacular promenade and towering statue of a Dragon launching into flight reminds students and visitors that education and learning will propel them ever higher. The Old Campus also houses the Academy Library  and the Hall of Wonders, a museum of artifacts from the city’s long history), as well as a collection of shrines to most of the Gods.

The Menagerie
A number of the most commonly summoned creatures are kept for study and familiarization. Several captive breeding programs have been established for those creatures who produce useful magical components.

The Battlegrounds
A reclaimed area of former marshland to the north of the Old Campus that has been designed to include numerous dueling pits, small arenas, testing pits, and other spaces to practice the more destructive aspects of magic. The Academy Legion (a campus security force that exists to contain escaped creatures, put down excessive magical manifestations, and protect important visitors) is also headquartered here.

The Six Towers
Students joke that Tir’Nassare (the capital city of Sortilege) may have a hundred towers (the White Spires), but Sor Alora has the six that really matter. (Of course, they don’t do this in hearing of their professors or any visiting Sortilegian politicians. Also, elves have uncanny hearing, so this joke really needs a considerable amount of privacy before it can be funny.) Each of the towers is dedicated to one of the six main spell schools and its Lyceum (more on that shortly). These towers are where students spend the bulk of their education at Sistarra. A large, domed structure houses the learning of the four elemental schools.

Academy Teaching
Sistarra’s curriculum is focused around broadening and intensifying a student’s understanding of the primary school of magic that makes up their calling. Unlike many smaller schools, where students tend to focus on a particular school of magic, Sistarran students are required to study the basics of all the major schools of magic, and are offered access to the minor elemental schools as well.

Though distasteful to those who come from Westlock, the Academy even offers training in the Dark school of magic. There is no law against Warlocks or Necromancers from practicing in Sortilege (unlike its more Holy-focused neighbor), and Sistarra even employs a Warlock (Ravenna of Eastmarch) as part of the faculty. (It is important to note that not all Warlocks are part of the Arraxian Crown, even though that is generally assumed to be the case by anyone in Westlock.)

Course work focuses on small group study. Faculty members are dived into Lyceums based upon the school of magic they practice. There is one Lyceum for each school magic. Lyceum is a shortened "Pellianized" version of the High Elvish word for school of magic: a’lissi’matheri). Each faculty member has a group of students studying under them. Faculty are responsible for overseeing their students studies and research.

Academy Faculty
As a final note, the faculty is incredibly varied, to provide students the largest sampling of what Etheria has to offer. In fact, the staff of Sortilege represents virtually every race, nationality and Mage type of Etheria (perhaps with the exception of the Blood Wave), including:

Magus Bellarax  (Human Warlord from Ivarium)
Professor of War magic, strategy and martial training

Magus Dargum (Dwarven Air Wizard of the Anvil Throne)
Professor of Air Magicks and Dwarven Literature

Magus Drallan (Human Priest of Bim-Shalla from Westlock)
Professor of Etherian History, focus on the Modern Age

Magus Erozar (Elven Forcemaster from Sortilege)
Professor of politics and political sciences

Magus Erx (Elven Earth Wizard from Sortilege)
Dean of Sartorial Studies

Magus Festendenti (Eleven Water Wizard from Sortilege)
Professor of Realm Theory (study of Voltari)

Magus Grimmwold (Elven Earth Wizard from Sortilege)
Professor of ecology and Etherian geography

Magus Jara (Elven Priestess of Asyra from Sortilege)
Professor of theology, Celestia culture and Holy magic

Magus Nenet-amon (Human Fire Wizard from Dsjer-tet)
Professor of Elemental Linguistics

Magus Nergol (Elven Necromancer from Sortilege)
Professor of the Dark Arts

Magus Norrell (Elven Druid from the Straywood)
Professor of Nature magic

Magus Oreheart (Dwarven Warlord from the Anvil Throne)
Professor of Number Practicum

Magus Pyr (Human Fire Wizard from Sortilege)
Professor of Fire magic and Infernal Politics

Magus Ravenna of Eastmarch (Human Warlock from Westlock)
Professor of Etherian History, focus on the Age of Catastrophe

Magus Remulex (Human Earth Wizard from Lupertra)
Professor of Agricultural Spellcraft

Magus Thessial (Elven Air Wizard from Sortilege)
Professor of Air magic

Magus Xer (Elven Air Wizard from Sortilege (and twin brother of Magus Erx)
Professor of Aesthetic Magery
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:16:07 PM by Sabrath_Kell »
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Official Mage Wars Lore: Sistarra, the Grand Academy of Magic
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 03:41:30 AM »
Wow, Elven necromancer. That and Agricultural spellcraft. I hope we will be able to see those on cards :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Official Mage Wars Lore: Sistarra, the Grand Academy of Magic
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 01:52:06 PM »
When the roleplaying game comes out, I want my characters to actually be able to participate in these classes. They sound REALLY interesting. They sound like the kind of classes that teach stuff that's relevant to the plot and to the lives and careers of the characters--my favorite kind of classes.

I thought Sistarra was just a wizard's school.

Clearly my academy fanfiction either needs a reboot or some significant edits, lol.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

DaFurryFury

• Master of Dancing Robutts
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official MW Lore: Sistarra, the Grand Academy of Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 02:17:12 AM »
-sigh- This is the second lore article I've read and have been kinda disappointed with. It's interesting stuff for sure, I'm totally the type of guy to really delve into my game worlds. I just find things like this far too textbooky. It's not bad it's just dull. It's not good writing (maybe delivery is a better word). Everything said here could easily have been presented in a story type fashion with a student discovering parts of this by exploring the campus or from the perspectives of the teachers themselves. I don't want to simply know about the magic academies, I want to experience them. Have you ever experienced something from a History textbook? Probably not, but when you read a great novel you get to learn about a world by living in it through a character.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock

Sabrath_Kell

• Official Loremaster of Etheria
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • @ArraxCrown on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 08:54:20 AM »
I just find things like this far too textbooky. It's not bad it's just dull. It's not good writing (maybe delivery is a better word). Everything said here could easily have been presented in a story type fashion with a student discovering parts of this by exploring the campus or from the perspectives of the teachers themselves. I don't want to simply know about the magic academies, I want to experience them. Have you ever experienced something from a History textbook? Probably not, but when you read a great novel you get to learn about a world by living in it through a character.

I totally understand your point! You may want to skip over Background Lore to some of our story lines, which I think are more in line with the immersive feeling you are looking for. You can find a complete collection of OPKit story lines, our published novel, and some of the forum exclusive storylines here: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15675.0
 I'd recommend The Wanderings of Amadseer the Cursed if you're looking for more story, less mechanics.

• Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 09:38:42 AM »
-sigh- This is the second lore article I've read and have been kinda disappointed with. It's interesting stuff for sure, I'm totally the type of guy to really delve into my game worlds. I just find things like this far too textbooky. It's not bad it's just dull. It's not good writing (maybe delivery is a better word). Everything said here could easily have been presented in a story type fashion with a student discovering parts of this by exploring the campus or from the perspectives of the teachers themselves. I don't want to simply know about the magic academies, I want to experience them. Have you ever experienced something from a History textbook? Probably not, but when you read a great novel you get to learn about a world by living in it through a character.
There are many times when 3rd person works better than 1st person. I found this nugget of knowledge to be golden. Though Amadseer the Cursed story line is absolutely fantastic and my favorite!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Ophidimancer

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 09:24:19 PM »
Sartorial studies and aesthetic magery. The most fabulous of magic classes!  ;D

netzhuffle

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Swiss Mage Wars Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 03:09:02 PM »
Magus Nenet-amon (Human Fire Wizard from Dsjer-tet)
Professor of Elemental Linguistics

We wondered in the German Mage Wars forum: Are there still Wizards trained in other element schools than Air in Etheria (but you can’t play them right now) or was the change also a retroactive change in the Lore?
netzhuffle – Jannis Grimm, German Mage Wars Head Judge. headjudge@magewars.de