April 28, 2024, 02:14:09 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Parallels with Other Games  (Read 3295 times)

Erebus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Parallels with Other Games
« on: September 13, 2015, 01:17:57 AM »
I've read about some interesting parallels between Mage Wars and games such as Go. I went to a friend's game night today and played a game called Power Grid. While we didn't have enough time to make to the later stages of the game, I was instantly enthused with the game's similarity to Mage Wars: Domination.

In Power Grid, there's a huge focus on how you make investments/balance costs while trying to earn enough points to pull ahead each round. Turn order also has a big significance, since it determines when each person gets to make these investments. This reminded me of how in Domination, you spend each round contemplating how you'll spend resources (mana and actions) to ensure you either tie in V'tar or gain an advantage. While Mage Wars provides you with more tools to achieve these goals, I had the same feeling of a round per round need to make smart investments to either tie or surpass my opponents. One difference I did notice is that Mage Wars offers more alternative ways to still win from behind, such as the ability to kill the enemy mage or gain a big advantage in one turn with a well set up play. Additionally, the cost of different items in Power Grid are more consistently variable, so long terms plans are a little less possible.

I really like making connections between Mage Wars and similar games. Has anyone else seen any interesting parallels with other games? Does anyone with more experience playing Power Grid have any interesting insights?
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
"You see the great thing about madness is that it's all in your head."

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Parallels with Other Games
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 01:14:49 PM »
I don't feel like Power Grid and Mage Wars feel that similar because in Power Grid the player out in front is at a considerable disadvantage, and you are trying to stay just behind the other players until you are able to swing ahead in the final round and win, whereas there is no reason not to press your advantage in Mage Wars. In Power Grid, The way that the player in the lead is at a disadvantage, and you don't actually want to press your advantage until the final round is the reason I don't like the game.

Normal Mage Wars Arena reminds me more of miniatures and real time strategy games than eurogames, though there is a fair amount of resource management, which is reminiscent of eurogames. The big difference is that eurogames don't generally feature as much direct conflict; you're usually trying to get a higher score rather than eliminate your opponent. Comparisons to eurogames are probably more apt for Domination than to regular Arena, but I haven't played Domination yet, so I don't know from personal experience. I think of Mage Wars as a turn based version of a real time strategy game crossed with a minitiatures game corssed with Magic, but that's based on Arena.

I think the comparison to Go makes sense because that comparison was based on the similarity in tempo rhythms between the two games, plus the conflict in Go is pretty direct, even if other aspects of the games are completely different. Unlike in Mage Wars, you probably can't completely eliminate your opponent from the board, but if you could, it would be the correct play.

Pixel Tactics has a somewhat similar feel to Mage Wars, though it's much more tactical and less strategic (and, at least for the first set, much more vicious).

Summoner Wars is the obvious comparison, though Mage Wars feels much more organic, and less stylized, since movement is more fluid. Summoner Wars always felt like a giant gridlock. Mage Wars is also much more strategic, whereas Summoner Wars is more tactical.

Erebus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 04:27:21 PM »
That's true, I did notice that turn order being based on number of cities did put the top players at a bit of a disadvantage. I think you're correct that the parallels don't extend much beyond the resource management. I looked into the game "Pixel Tactics" you mentioned and it looks really cool! Do you think Pixel Tactics 3 would be worth buying? :D thanks
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 04:34:10 PM by Erebus »

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »
I haven't played Pixel Tactics 3 that much, but yes, it's fun. I played a lot more of Pixel Tactics 1, where the balance is heavily skewed towards orders. 3 is more evenly balanced between different kinds of strategies and uses of cards, but I don't remember the specific cards in that set at the moment.

Erebus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 05:02:01 PM »
Sounds great! I'll have to try it out. Thanks!