April 27, 2024, 03:32:00 AM

Author Topic: Regarding an Approved Card List for Academy  (Read 11447 times)

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding an Approved Card List for Academy
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 11:57:34 AM »
I am currently in the process of updating the list I made (I am at the letter D). After 8 games of Academy, we figured some cards that were yellow are clearly red now and some green are yellow, while some yellow are green.

With this perspective, looking at your 8 principles, would you edit/change any? or are they all good with the devil in the detail?

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 06:15:55 PM »
I am currently in the process of updating the list I made (I am at the letter D). After 8 games of Academy, we figured some cards that were yellow are clearly red now and some green are yellow, while some yellow are green.

With this perspective, looking at your 8 principles, would you edit/change any? or are they all good with the devil in the detail?

My 8 principles?

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 01:03:05 AM »
Exclusion of every leve 5+ creatures because more often than not, they are way too powerful.
Exclusion of weapons because they are also too powerful for Academy.
Exclusion of things with a minimum range of 1 because everything in Academy are at range 0.
Exclusion of things that push, pull, or teleport, because you can't really do it.
Exclusion of spawnpoints and familiar because they are too powerful in the context of Academy.
Exclusion of creatures with a normal quick attack and a strong full attack since they can always use the full attack.
Exclusion of walls because there is only 1 zone.
Do not recommend flying creatures because there is none of them in Academy so far (even ones with wings do not fly).
Do no recommend creatures with Fast or Charge because these traits serve no purpose in Academy.
Do no recommend Zombies or Plants of any sort because their Slow/Rooted traits are irrelevant in Academy.

My only dilema are Zone Exclusive conjuration. I think most of them would be ok if both players could each have 1 of them out.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 05:52:14 AM »
Oh. Yeah, I would add some.

- Anything rolling natural 5 attack dice or more is a no.
Way too strong when you doublestrike it.

- Giving defense to the mages is a no.
Would make the game to drag on time too much, especially if you start to stack them.

- Anything that remove permanently enchantment/equipment that require quick action is a no.
I noticed that the full action to remove them is a big part of the game. The limited amount of remover is also something.

- Equipment or revealed Enchantment that cost 5 mana or more is a no.
Would be too easy for the wizard to prevent you to ever remove them and they are quite strong for Academy.

- Until they add condition remover, anything that give Tainted is a big no and even then I think Tainted is a too strong effect for the limited hp of Academy.

There are probably others, but that's it for the moment.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 07:15:16 AM »
it becomes very complicated... and interesting!
i'm looking forward to see your final list.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 07:37:51 AM »
Even with all these restrictions you still keep the naturally strong creatures like the [mwcard=MW1C38]Timber Wolf[/mwcard]. He is simply slightly better than the razortusk.

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 11:49:52 AM »
1 mana might be worth slightly more in academy due to the lower channeling rate? Timberwolf does look naturally stronger, but if you're trying a swarm or want a few creatures out, 4 mana over 4 rounds isn't insignificant and when there isn't as much damage being thrown around, the boar isn't a total lightweight.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 07:10:47 PM »
Even with all these restrictions you still keep the naturally strong creatures like the [mwcard=MW1C38]Timber Wolf[/mwcard]. He is simply slightly better than the razortusk.

I am still only at letter "I" for the revised list.

Also in Academy the pivot point of mana cost is 7-8-9 mana. 7 mana cards are castable every turn (assuming no mana drain effect). 8 mana cards are castable every turn if you have an amulet. 9 mana cards take 2 turns to cast unless you have both an amulet and the fearie. Can make the difference between winning and losing.