April 20, 2024, 04:42:24 AM

Author Topic: First full game yielded some questions...  (Read 5187 times)

ShamanX

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
First full game yielded some questions...
« on: September 30, 2012, 11:44:09 PM »
So I played my first full game of Mage Wars today with my wife after only having played a couple of apprentice games. She took the Beast Master and I the Priestess and we used the rulebook spellbooks.

I will not recount the game here except to say it was fun and after being chased all over the board by her gaggle of beasts and nearly dying twice.. I actually won  B) . We both enjoyed playing, although the game went close to four hours..   :blink:  A good chunk of that was looking up traits and conditions and clarifying rules, so I'm sure we'll trim that down with more plays.

Anyway I kept tabs on a few questions that came up as we played..

The first is kind of funny... At one point I put her Redclaw Alpha to sleep. With no other way to wake it but to damage her own creature, the only convenient one was Sosruku the Ferret. We played it such that the Taunt condition was required and her Alpha would need to attack the ferret on its next round attack. I killed the ferret before this could happen, but were we playing this right? Was the Taunt condition correctly applied to her own creature or is taunt optional?

Regarding Dazed creatures... this doesn't seem to affect movement, just attack. Is that correct?

Also, can a Dazed creature guard? Any reason a Dazed creature can't move and then quick attack a guarding creature if it makes its role?

Does Armor reduce damage from being 'Bashed' into a wall via Force Push?

Finally, should the cost for Dispel include the Magebind cost if the enchantment is dispelled from a Mage?

Anyway, I'm very happy to have gotten a full game in and am looking forward to tweaking the spellbook for the next mage I play! The Priestess was funner than I expected.

Lothar

Re: First full game yielded some questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 03:09:55 AM »
The first is kind of funny... At one point I put her Redclaw Alpha to sleep. With no other way to wake it but to damage her own creature, the only convenient one was Sosruku the Ferret. We played it such that the Taunt condition was required and her Alpha would need to attack the ferret on its next round attack. I killed the ferret before this could happen, but were we playing this right? Was the Taunt condition correctly applied to her own creature or is taunt optional?

I believe the additional effects are mandatory, so she would need to roll the effect die and on a 7+ would taunt her own creature.

Regarding Dazed creatures... this doesn't seem to affect movement, just attack. Is that correct?

Also, can a Dazed creature guard? Any reason a Dazed creature can't move and then quick attack a guarding creature if it makes its role?

Dazed creatures suffer from no ill effects other than potentially missing their attack and lowered defense rolls.

Yes. Bashed creatures suffer an Unavoidable attack of 3 attack dice. It is not direct damage.

Finally, should the cost for Dispel include the Magebind cost if the enchantment is dispelled from a Mage?

Yes, according to the rules, "the adjusted reveal cost is used for all purposes in spells, abilities, or effects which refer to the reveal cost of this spell."

ShamanX

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 08:15:57 AM »
Thank you.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »
Quote from: "Lothar" post=1601

I believe the additional effects are mandatory, so she would need to roll the effect die and on a 7+ would taunt her own creature.

Dazed creatures suffer from no ill effects other than potentially missing their attack and lowered defense rolls.

Yes. Bashed creatures suffer an Unavoidable attack of 3 attack dice. It is not direct damage.

Yes, according to the rules, "the adjusted reveal cost is used for all purposes in spells, abilities, or effects which refer to the reveal cost of this spell."

Very Good. 100% gold star for you.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage