April 19, 2024, 05:46:34 AM

Author Topic: How does Voltaric Shield work with Armour?  (Read 6938 times)

the_iron_troll

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
How does Voltaric Shield work with Armour?
« on: September 30, 2012, 11:16:13 PM »
An example:

Okay, so I have out my Beastmaster, going to town on a Wizard. Wizard has 2 Armour, from the Dragonscale thing. Wizard activates his Voltaric Shield this round.

My Bear Strength-ed Beastmaster clocks the Wizard with a 6 die attack.

I roll 0 0 1 2 **1 **2. (Does that style of writing critical hits make sense to people? Two asterisks in front? Okay.)

SOoooo, how much damage does the Wizard take? Do I get to assign the 3 non-critical damage to the Wizard first, and the Wizard then takes 3 critical damage, bypassing his armour? Or, does the Wizard get to decide which damage his shield blocks, cancelling the 3 critical damage, leaving him taking only a single point of damage?

Lothar

Re: How does Voltaric Shield work with Armour?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »
From my reading of the ability, I think that he would take only 1 damage in that example. I believe he gets to reduce the final damage by 3 (after armor has been taken into account).

Tllmdjd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 09:17:01 AM »
When resolving Voltaric shield, armor absorbs non-critical damage first, the shield then absorbs the next three of any type.

Please see http://www.magewars.com/jsite/detailed-overview/mages/the-wizard

Scroll down to explanation of Voltaric  shield.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 09:31:11 AM »
Quote from: "Tllmdjd" post=1608
When resolving Voltaric shield, armor absorbs non-critical damage first, the shield then absorbs the next three of any type.

Please see http://www.magewars.com/jsite/detailed-overview/mages/the-wizard

Scroll down to explanation of Voltaric  shield.

Correct as stated the shield applies last but is used up by the first attack. So the best thing to do is attack with a weak creature fist then your big beater.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 02:56:10 PM »
but if the mages armor completely stops the damage (ie no crit hits) then the shield doesnt activate and so stays on.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 03:25:04 PM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=1644
but if the mages armor completely stops the damage (ie no crit hits) then the shield doesnt activate and so stays on.

also correct.

The attack has to deal at least one point of damage to the Wizard in order to trigger and use the shield, and this damage is counted after armor has already taken effect. If the attack deals no damage to the Wizard (for example, all damage is absorbed by armor, or the attack is blocked by a Defense), the shield is not used. If the attack deals only 1 or 2 damage, all of that damage is prevented, but the shield is still used up (the unused points of reduction do not carry over into a future attack).

Note that Voltaric Shield only protects against attacks, not from direct damage. The Wizard can still receive damage from effects which deal direct damage, such as the Ghoul Rot curse, burn damage from a Burn condition, or non-attack spells like Drain Life.

But a 3D attack should do damage over 66% of the time.  not including armor
about 40% with armor 2
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

the_iron_troll

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 11:14:53 PM »
So the Shield is basically... UNDER the armour. Okay.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 08:05:44 AM »
That is one way to think of it.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »
Quote from: "the_iron_troll" post=1704

Hey, it works for Discipline Priests! Don't question the logic of armor making shields more effective!

:silly:

the_iron_troll

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 01:28:32 AM »
Quote from: "piousflea" post=1763

Hey, it works for Discipline Priests! Don't question the logic of armor making shields more effective!

Discipline priests? I assume you're referring to WoW, piousflea?

This brings up a larger issue. Sooner or later, we really need to have all of the rules in one place. I never would have imagined that the website would have a page on the Wizard that would have more information than the main rules set. Something like Gatherer would be awesome (for people that are familiar with Magic; the Gathering), so that we can see all of the cards online, with their abilities explained if they are odd like Voltaric Shield.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 08:08:44 AM »
Quote from: "the_iron_troll" post=1769
Quote from: "piousflea" post=1763

This brings up a larger issue. Sooner or later, we really need to have all of the rules in one place. I never would have imagined that the website would have a page on the Wizard that would have more information than the main rules set. Something like Gatherer would be awesome (for people that are familiar with Magic; the Gathering), so that we can see all of the cards online, with their abilities explained if they are odd like Voltaric Shield.

The full tourney  rules and CRD are in the works last I heard.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 11:23:42 PM »
Quote from: "the_iron_troll" post=1769

Yeah, it's a WoW reference. That said, my impression of shield absorbs was that most PC-based RPGs deliberately allow Armor to help shields because it makes your character more gear-dependent. (and PC games are all about hunting for gear)

On the other hand, RTS games (Starcraft, Dawn of War) generally do the opposite, Armor only comes into play after any shields or other absorption effects have been used up.