April 25, 2024, 06:04:11 PM

Author Topic: OCTGN Tournament: Thunderdome II  (Read 69775 times)

Nealo

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: OCTGN Tournament: Thunderdome II
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 02:21:03 AM »
All cards that are available on Octgn are permitted, which includes Promo cards as well as the new Battlegrounds Domination cards. Only exception is the Ballista. It will be treated as if it had the characteristic unique.

Why is this? I am a little behind the meta since I haven't been playing long, but I'm curious why this special rule for ballista? I have seen many people play with two on octgn. Is this a card from Domination? I want to participate if my schedule permits despite my n00bishness :)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 07:27:50 AM »
A ballista by its own is very strong but you are able to deal with it. When a player starts playing 2-3 or even 4 ballista's you just get destroyed. 5 attack dice and 3 piercing, each of them can shoot after each other without the opponent being able to cast something in between. 2 armor and 8 life is also not a piece of cake destroy.

Every monster/conjuration you summon is dead before you know it. Yes, you can summon a wall, but even that falls immediatly with the support of the opposing mage.

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Nealo

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 02:40:25 PM »
Ok so I'm guessing this is a promo card? I'm really confused as to why this tournament allows promo cards. It seems like it poses a danger to balance. The cards that are not meant to be part of the game and haven't been properly tested (I would assume since they're not part of any official set) are suddenly free to use in the tournament. Why do that when these cards were never meant to be used in competitive play? Just my two cents :P

One of my most wanted changes to the game would be for there to be some kind of watermark showing what set the card came from! Maybe this exists and I just haven't noticed? It would help A LOT for new players (like myself) because then when I see a discussion about a specific card I only need to look at an image of it to see which set it's from.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 07:36:15 PM »
There are some playtesters acive on Octgn and most of them agree with giving Ballista the unique trait and allowing promo cards. After seeing at least 500 games on Octgn I can say that there is no Promocard threatening the balance in any way right now. Btw. As you can see in the current wizard discission, there are official released cards that have balance problems too ( wizard, wizards tower).

So check out the promos, learn what they can do. More cards, more fun, right?

Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 08:20:27 PM »
For me personally, it's interesting to see people employ these promos in a competitive environment.

Nealo

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »
There are some playtesters acive on Octgn and most of them agree with giving Ballista the unique trait and allowing promo cards. After seeing at least 500 games on Octgn I can say that there is no Promocard threatening the balance in any way right now. Btw. As you can see in the current wizard discission, there are official released cards that have balance problems too ( wizard, wizards tower).

I'm definitely too new to the game to really assess balance accurately, so I will take your word for it when you say that these cards aren't threatening balance! And yes, good point about the Wizard build :) I think I find myself turned off by promo cards because I can't use them in real games without making proxies, but they are cool cards and I can see why people like using them.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 11:35:52 PM »

I'm definitely too new to the game to really assess balance accurately, so I will take your word for it when you say that these cards aren't threatening balance! And yes, good point about the Wizard build :) I think I find myself turned off by promo cards because I can't use them in real games without making proxies, but they are cool cards and I can see why people like using them.

While the cards aren't officially released yet. It does help a lot to have them on OCTGN to get a good feel for how the cards work out. I'm hoping a lot of the promos on OCTGN come out eventually. There are some great cards that deserve a spot in the "official" play. If I were running a tournament in person, I would not allow promos. But since everyone has access to every promo on OCTGN I think it works out great! If it helps with balance at all -The last Thunderdome champion won the game using only 1 promo that is due to release in Domination soon. Hope to see you enter the tournament :D
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Nealo

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 04:55:07 AM »

While the cards aren't officially released yet. It does help a lot to have them on OCTGN to get a good feel for how the cards work out. I'm hoping a lot of the promos on OCTGN come out eventually. There are some great cards that deserve a spot in the "official" play. If I were running a tournament in person, I would not allow promos. But since everyone has access to every promo on OCTGN I think it works out great! If it helps with balance at all -The last Thunderdome champion won the game using only 1 promo that is due to release in Domination soon. Hope to see you enter the tournament :D

Yeah, I think I am now seeing why it's not such a bad thing! I plan to enter, assuming it doesn't conflict with anything! Been dying to play in a tournament (and get my ass handed to me) so I can learn about different playstyles and strategies!

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »
Not completely related, but if you haven't found out yet, Domination is now available on OCTGN!

Here's the link:
 http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15888.0

They did an awesome job. If you were afraid of jumping on octgn, then now's your chance.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 05:04:52 PM »
Hey Guys!

We have a lot of people saying they might want to join up, but haven't officially signed up yet! We would love to get some more slots filled! So far we have 2 out of the 8 people! Take a chance and enter the THUNDERDOME. With all the new Domination cards out in OCTGN, there are a wide array of new options and strategies! Hoping to see some awesome players!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 05:26:50 PM »
still can't join the european version. (Schwenkgott)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 10:15:50 PM »

If you read the first post, you will see that joining works via email to the tournament hosts ;)

If you match the criteria (active octgn player), your application will be confirmed.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Hanma

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2015, 02:16:07 PM »

If you read the first post, you will see that joining works via email to the tournament hosts ;)

If you match the criteria (active octgn player), your application will be confirmed.

If you want to take part in this great tournament you only have to do two things: Show us that you belong to the active Octgn Mage Wars Community and apply via PM  in Arcane Wonders Forum until Sept. 17. The organizers are for America Coshade/Intangible and for Europe Schwenkgott.

This says nothing about email.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2015, 09:38:12 PM »
Yes thats what I mean. Messages from the forum will appear to me as Emails ;)

In the end, we want people to apply via forum so we can be sure that they read the thunderdome post from time to time to be up to date for any changes of play times ect. that could happen during the tournament.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 06:10:34 AM »
I'm back from Vietnam and will now start to spread the word again for the upcoming tournament. If you have not registered yet, check out the Tournament Information in the first post above. Hope to see you soon in the Arena!