March 29, 2024, 03:40:37 AM

Author Topic: Ranged Attack vs Wall bordering same zone  (Read 23019 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Ranged Attack vs Wall bordering same zone
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2015, 08:11:36 PM »
Yes, Laddinfance is an official Arcane Wonders response and settles the debate. I actually discussed this with him at GenCon. The official answer is that both distances are equally valid and you can choose either zone when measuring. The result is that a range 1 attack can hit a wall bordering the attacker's zone.

Also, in case it needs said, it is official that distance is a separate measurement from Line of Sight. So the fact that you don't have line of sight to the zone on the far side of the wall, does not prevent you from measuring distance to that zone. You still have Line of Sight to the Wall itself, and your choice of zones for approximating distance to the wall is valid.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2015, 08:54:13 PM »
Cool! Thanks for the quick reply
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2015, 09:18:38 AM »
My post should settle this, for now.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2015, 07:21:58 AM »

A sad day for using walls as a strategy against minimum range 1 archers. :(

That would mean that Akiros Hammer can also hit a wall just one zone away but not adjacent to the hammers zone using the same rule. Does that sound right?

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2015, 08:20:13 AM »
That would mean that Akiros Hammer can also hit a wall just one zone away but not adjacent to the hammers zone using the same rule. Does that sound right?

Yes.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2015, 08:21:29 AM »

A sad day for using walls as a strategy against minimum range 1 archers. :(

There is always another way! It does mess up some of my strategies as well.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2015, 08:59:36 AM »
Interesting discussion - continue please  ;D

*munches popcorn*

OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2015, 12:10:35 PM »
It's the most logical solution. (And how we house ruled it for a very long time)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2018, 06:40:33 PM »
Yes, Laddinfance is an official Arcane Wonders response and settles the debate. I actually discussed this with him at GenCon. The official answer is that both distances are equally valid and you can choose either zone when measuring. The result is that a range 1 attack can hit a wall bordering the attacker's zone.

Also, in case it needs said, it is official that distance is a separate measurement from Line of Sight. So the fact that you don't have line of sight to the zone on the far side of the wall, does not prevent you from measuring distance to that zone. You still have Line of Sight to the Wall itself, and your choice of zones for approximating distance to the wall is valid.

We have a new case since this ruling was handed down that I discovered in recent play this weekend. I wanted to check our interpretation of the Attack spell Luminous Blast. It is a Holy, Light Ranged Attack with Min-Max range of 0-0.

We played that this 5 dice spell could attack Walls in the adjacent zone border, which proved a very effective method to help take down walls. However, on reflection after the game I discovered this discussion folder and the following statement on p.14 of the Rules Supplement.

"Zone borders are not considered to be inside the zones they border, so a Zone attack will not affect walls."

Before Luminous Blast was released the only Ranged Attacks that had a range of 0-0 were Zone attacks that targeted a Zone. So the question is does the quoted statement above apply to ANY Ranged Attack with a 0-0 range or just to Ranged Attacks that Target a Zone and use the Zone Attack icon?

Did we play Luminous Blast correctly?
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2018, 08:48:39 PM »
Luminous Blast can absolutely be used to attack walls bordering your zone. While walls are NOT in your zone, they also are not 1 zone away. The situation is exactly the same as it has been described earlier in the thread, that walls exist in a nebulous in-between state where counting them as range 0 is equally as valid as range 1, which is to say neither is actually correct but we don't have another way of measuring range. So you still pick one of the zones bordering the wall, even if the one you choose happens to be the one you're standing in. That's fine.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2018, 06:23:06 AM »
Luminous Blast can absolutely be used to attack walls bordering your zone. While walls are NOT in your zone, they also are not 1 zone away. The situation is exactly the same as it has been described earlier in the thread, that walls exist in a nebulous in-between state where counting them as range 0 is equally as valid as range 1, which is to say neither is actually correct but we don't have another way of measuring range. So you still pick one of the zones bordering the wall, even if the one you choose happens to be the one you're standing in. That's fine.

So while the ranged zone attack does target an adjacent zone bordering a wall it does not attack the wall because of the rule that states zone attacks only attack objects within a zone. Understood.

I wonder why the need for the zone attack exception for walls? Seems like a candidate for rules simplification that would not impact game balance. If zone attacks could attack all objects within or adjacent to a targeted zone it seems more consistent with the range to zone to wall discussion in this folder.

Thanks!