April 29, 2024, 10:40:54 PM

Author Topic: Arcane Duels - Domination 3 For All!!  (Read 18434 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Arcane Duels - Domination 3 For All!!
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2015, 08:41:15 AM »
just to add altar of carnage doesnt trigger with the warlord, he is no soldier or?

Correct.  And ditto for a Warlord using an ([mwcard=MW1Q13]Ivarium Long[/mwcard]) bow trying to use an [mwcard=FWJ02]Archer's Watchtower[/mwcard] (doesn't come up in this video, but I saw another post that might have hinted that this could work... but the Warlord isn't a soldier, so it doesn't work).
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2015, 10:51:11 AM »
why did the druid only channel 1 v'tar per round shouldn't it be 2 with lower orb and the glaxxus.

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2015, 11:44:25 AM »
Isn't that obvious? If you cannot play the game without making (rule) mistakes, there must be something wrong with the game('s rules).

Well, I wasn't expecting that. I haven't seen much, if any negativity towards Mage Wars in this forum.

I've enjoyed playing, making mistakes, having discussions about rules, checking the codex, rulebook, supplement and posting questions here. It has all added to the excellent experience of playing and feeling a part of such a unique and amazing game.

• Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2015, 11:58:03 PM »
I like the complexity of MW for the great number of possibilities it opens. After MTG, Jihad, Android,... I think I found my game!
I surely make a few mistakes, I have sometimes questions (allways quickly answered here!), that's part of the experience.

But I must agree with Jhaelen, that rules and cards aren't allways organised as clear as they could be, and that 3 different keywords could sometimes be reduced to 1 with no game loss but only fluidity benefit.

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2015, 03:02:22 AM »
Rules mistakes don't happen every game.
Note that I was replying to adanaz who said he hasn't yet played a game without making any rules mistakes. I haven't either. It's definitely encouraging that you have!

Here's a little challenge: Point me to a YouTube video of a match where no rules mistakes have been made!

P.S.: I realize that I may sound often overly harsh, but in fact, I really enjoy playing Mage Wars. However, it doesn't make sense to ignore the weak points of the game. As enthusiastic fans, we have a tendency to wear rose-coloured glasses when looking at our favorite games.
But any (perceived) weaknesses of the game should be pointed out and discussed, especially here in this forum.  I think Arcane Wonders have shown that they care and react to criticism to make Mage Wars a better game.
It's good, though, that you're pointing out that Mage Wars is still a young game compared to the ones I mentioned. That, and Arcane Wonders is quite a small company, so there's only so much that can be done in the short term.

MtG also went through a major overhaul at some point to get rid of superfluous keywords and streamlined their rules. They also started to release simplified starter packs at some point to make it easier to get into the game. Of course WotC had a big advantage over Arcane Wonders: Almost limitless resources.

But if Mage Wars is to survive the next decade and escape from being very niche, it will need to go through a similar process. Despite my personal dislike of the Acadamy set(s), their release is a necessary step in that direction, and I definitely hope they'll be a big hit and attract a lot more players.

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2015, 03:19:35 AM »
But any (perceived) weaknesses of the game should be pointed out and discussed, especially here in this forum.  I think Arcane Wonders have shown that they care and react to criticism to make Mage Wars a better game.

I agree, very good point.

However, it doesn't make sense to ignore the weak points of the game. As enthusiastic fans, we have a tendency to wear rose-coloured glasses when looking at our favorite games.

Another good point. I'm sure that Arcane Wonders appreciate all of the feedback.
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2015, 11:44:12 AM »
Here's a little challenge: Point me to a YouTube video of a match where no rules mistakes have been made!

P.S.: I realize that I may sound often overly harsh, but in fact, I really enjoy playing Mage Wars. However, it doesn't make sense to ignore the weak points of the game. As enthusiastic fans, we have a tendency to wear rose-coloured glasses when looking at our favorite games.
It's good, though, that you're pointing out that Mage Wars is still a young game compared to the ones I mentioned. That, and Arcane Wonders is quite a small company, so there's only so much that can be done in the short term.

MtG also went through a major overhaul at some point to get rid of superfluous keywords and streamlined their rules. They also started to release simplified starter packs at some point to make it easier to get into the game. Of course WotC had a big advantage over Arcane Wonders: Almost limitless resources.

But if Mage Wars is to survive the next decade and escape from being very niche, it will need to go through a similar process. Despite my personal dislike of the Acadamy set(s), their release is a necessary step in that direction, and I definitely hope they'll be a big hit and attract a lot more players.

Hey Jhaelen, we do make a lot of mistakes, and I'm sorry that those mistakes have contributed to the way you feel about Mage Wars.

However, You're not unjustified in your opinion by any means. Mage Wars is an incredibly complex game and thus is prone to more mistakes than simple streamlined games like MtG. Another thing to point out is this game is very different than most on the market and since it doesn't have the mountain of past mistakes to stand on we have the responsibility of being the ones to endure the mishaps. You're right about MtG when it first came out, it was ugly and incredibly broken; even now they have to ban their own cards (usually 2-3 cards a block) from tournaments because there were unexpected consequences of keywords and balance.

From a design perspective you have a critical eye when it comes to a game's fluidity and effectiveness. Rather than a forum debate, I suggest signing up to be a playtester. I've had many hard criticisms on cards and rulings, and when I brought them up to Aaron, he was incredibly receptive. They keep an open mind at AW and I'm sure they'd love to hear your opinions.

In final, there's a lot of players on the forums who love Mage Wars perhaps a bit too much :-p
We may make these videos but we also make mistakes, we're still learning and we don't cut our misplays because we want people to learn from them.
The reason there was debate on this thread is because your words pointed fingers at all players and said they also make flaws while battling it out. By making an extreme statement about all videos or games played you make yourself a target to argue with.

Whether you're right or wrong about all videos of Mage Wars put up on the internet I wouldn't lump all players together into one pile. There are some excellent players out there who have spent hours honing their skills so that they don't make mistakes. I can attest personally for Sailor Vulcan, I've never seen a misplay from him.

Just my opinion, I'm not lashing out or anything, you're right, we screw up and we strive to fix it. I'm simply suggesting/asking that you take your critical thoughts and apply them to the development of the game. It's a good skill to have  :)
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2015, 10:48:30 PM »
While I usually don't make rules mistakes per say (and when I do I usually catch it fairly quickly), my ADHD still rears its ugly head in some situations. Just the other day I was playing an arraxian crown warlock, and I forgot to make the demon I summoned into a bloodreaper during the early game. My opponent and I decided to count the game as two games, with the first one being my loss by forfeit. Then he let me make my bloodreaper and we continued where we left off.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2015, 11:50:27 AM »

And what seems to trip up even Mage Wars pro players: the game board is too busy. Between stacks of cards distributed across and around the board and various counters it's just too easy to miss something.

There are mage wars Pro-players?? When did this happen?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2015, 03:47:18 PM »
Hey, look at that guys. We made the front page of the Arcane Wonders site!
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »
I saw that yesterday. I'm internet famous...
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid